Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:10 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times

Advertisements

Isn't there a part of Riverdale that's near the subway? I might be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 08:12 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times
I could not say that Lincoln area is aweful. The area is undergoing a HUGE transformation, as in a MAJOR multi-billion dollar investment of the waterfront that will transform the area into a pedestrain zone, with waterfront promenade, eating venues, plazas, retail, as well as the entire Yankee stadium area which will include the new stadium, upgraded infrastructure, greening, and a vast array of amenities and new transportation options (like new metro-north stop.) RE CONTINUES to rise in this area as the huge developments HAVE many different types of people laying their bets and moving in.

I would qualify aweful as Bed-Stuy, the area around 161-149st Grand Concourse will be quite nice in approximately 1 year. Don't believe me? Read up and educate yourself:

Yankee Stadium Redevelopment Project : New York City Department of Parks & Recreation

If the above link does not work, merely google "yankee stadium redevelopment." Because of this huge upscale investment, waterfront access, immediate access to the city via train, metro-north, bike, the financial/shopping district of the borough, and the expanding amenities/housing options, this area will likely be one of the best areas in the Bronx shortly.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:18 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
I could not say that Lincoln area is aweful. The area is undergoing a HUGE transformation, as in a MAJOR multi-billion dollar investment of the waterfront that will transform the area into a pedestrain zone, with waterfront promenade, eating venues, plazas, retail, as well as the entire Yankee stadium area which will include the new stadium, upgraded infrastructure, greening, and a vast array of amenities and new transportation options (like new metro-north stop.) RE CONTINUES to rise in this area as the huge developments HAVE many different types of people laying their bets and moving in.

I would qualify aweful as Bed-Stuy, the area around 161-149st Grand Concourse will be quite nice in approximately 1 year. Don't believe me? Read up and educate yourself:

Yankee Stadium Redevelopment Project : New York City Department of Parks & Recreation

If the above link does not work, merely google "yankee stadium redevelopment." Because of this huge upscale investment, waterfront access, immediate access to the city via train, metro-north, bike, the financial/shopping district of the borough, and the expanding amenities/housing options, this area will likely be one of the best areas in the Bronx shortly.

Thank for trying to edify me. I don't live in NY anymore but I did for many, many, many, many years.

When do you think this area will be safe enough and walkable enough and have proven and tested itself enough to be compared to some of the other "safe" areas?

Where is the OP coming from? NYC can be a very big change for some and I don't consider something "in-transition" good enough until is has totally transitioned.

I'm not putting down NYC. I like NY but I don't try to cover the sun with one finger.

P.S. I don't remember exactly, but is Lincoln affiliated with Montefiore? They should have a "housing" connection and post a couple of inquiries perhaps.

Last edited by vpcats; 03-26-2008 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: grrrrrr... typos!

Old 03-26-2008, 08:23 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
That area of the Concourse has improved a lot. You want to see bad, check out the 170th, 180th, and 190th streets by the Concourse.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:24 AM

274 posts, read 1,108,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
If you're doing a residency you usually need to be on call every so often. I don't think you can depend on any public transportation to get you there fast enough, unless your on call policy is that you have to stay on site 36-48 hrs straight or something.

Lincoln is in a awful neighborhood. I wouldn't want to walk around there at any time of the day or night.

Why don't you contact the hospital itself, the director for the residency program, or someone similar, and get some recommendations for areas where other residents/families live. Does your contract offer any kind of housing supplement/subsidy?

I agree. Best bet is to drive. Southern Westchester will fit the bill.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:25 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
That area of the Concourse has improved a lot. You want to see bad, check out the 170th, 180th, and 190th streets by the Concourse.
At least your more rational than your predecessor, Hustla718. He would have never even gave in that much.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:31 AM

True dat NooYowkur! VPCats..the area around Lincoln is already reasonably safe and walkable. Since it is surrounded by major institutions like Lincoln, as well as the main financial corridor around 161, you will find businessmen, teachers, and professionals of all kinds, colors, etc wandering the area, as well as living there. The area will only continue to improve as the major capital improvements come to fruition very shortly.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:38 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
True dat NooYowkur! VPCats..the area around Lincoln is already reasonably safe and walkable. Since it is surrounded by major institutions like Lincoln, as well as the main financial corridor around 161, you will find businessmen, teachers, and professionals of all kinds, colors, etc wandering the area, as well as living there. The area will only continue to improve as the major capital improvements come to fruition very shortly.
OK. Sounds good and I would want nothing but the best for NYC.

I still think the OP should try to speak and/or communicate somehow with others currently in his/her shoes. Should speak with some of the current residents. Where do they live? How did they get there? Maybe someone's lease is up and it can be transferred (if the area and $$ are good), etc.

There are just so many other ways to skin the cat (oh my poor babies ). I would want first hand knowledge from peers. Remember, there's a baby in the picture too.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:41 AM

Yeah I agree with that..the best resource are those that are already working at Lincoln. That's the best starting point.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:14 AM

7 posts, read 30,552 times
Default Forgot to mention how much we can afford...

Lot of good info here... thank you ALL very site... this site is wonderful.

I am trying to get in contact with some residents but some either live very close to the hospital in an apt comlex recommended in the Bronx 10 minutes away by car (which my wife doesn't want to do)... one lives in Astoria, and one is living is some better part of Harlem, which makes me a little nervous.

I did forget to mention what rent we could afford... at this point we will make together around 75-80,000 for the year, and I have seen a few craigslist ads for 2 BR apts (since the 2 yr. baby needs her own room) in Manhattan itself (Upper West side and Upper East Side) that are around 2000/month all utilities paid which for the convenience and experience for a year, might be do-able.

With the on-call system, I would much rather jump on a subway than rely on waiting at some bus station by myself late at night and there's a subway stop a block away from the hospital where i can always run as fast as my reeboks will take me to the hospital at midnight.

I would think we may even pay up to 2500/month for a 2BR... at this point, it seems like we're not going to be saving too much and rather be convenient and safe for all.

Let me know what you all think....

Thank you again...

Sincerely,

D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City