Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Easy question
Parkchester 3 18.75%
Parkchester 1 6.25%
Parkchester 3 18.75%
Billionaires row, nah I’m just kidding. Parkchester baby! All day everyday! 9 56.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 09:11 AM

12,741 posts, read 8,162,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Having spent many years as a very poor person pursuing very high education, I am aware how important to that kind of person is an information about cheap yet decent (and even historically architecturally significant) place to live. The types of people that I am talking about are postdoctoral fellows/junior researchers in basic sciences, medical residents, and people with careers in humanities at every level. Many, very many of such people are immigrants (like me) or come from limited means in the US (including minorities and first-generation college graduates). There are high quality people with very little money, and very limited earning potential within the first 5-10 years of their career, or in case of humanities, ever. Some retirees from the world of academia fall into this category of high quality people with low means too. These people (in many ways similar to me) are the ones who should know about Parkchester.

One has to be dumb as a doorknob, a total imbecile with an IQ well below the level of an ape, to compare the kind of people described above with billionaires. SeventhFloor, what kind of "moderator" are you, allowing a city living forum, that is presumably supposed to be informative about city living, to get infested with a million of idiotic threads in which the same 5-6 people just keep repeating forever the same very stupid and unfunny "joke"?
You should be happy someone has been mentioning your neighborhood over and over. We want your property to appreciate don't you? Why not have others "hype" it up for you then?

I can see it now...

Parkchester... The new billionaires row... in da boogie down Bronx!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 09:25 AM

954 posts, read 931,228 times
Quote:
Having spent many years as a very poor person pursuing very high education, I am aware how important to that kind of person is an information about cheap yet decent (and even historically architecturally significant) place to live. The types of people that I am talking about are postdoctoral fellows/junior researchers in basic sciences, medical residents, and people with careers in humanities at every level. Many, very many of such people are immigrants (like me) or come from limited means in the US (including minorities and first-generation college graduates). There are high quality people with very little money, and very limited earning potential within the first 5-10 years of their career, or in case of humanities, ever. Some retirees from the world of academia fall into this category of high quality people with low means too. These people (in many ways similar to me) are the ones who should know about Parkchester.

One has to be dumb as a doorknob, a total imbecile with an IQ well below the level of an ape, to compare the kind of people described above with billionaires. SeventhFloor, what kind of "moderator" are you, allowing a city living forum, that is presumably supposed to be informative about city living, to get infested with a million of idiotic threads in which the same 5-6 people just keep repeating forever the same very stupid and unfunny "joke"?
Get outside please.

ASAP

Old 04-06-2018, 10:14 AM

8,175 posts, read 4,260,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You should be happy someone has been mentioning your neighborhood over and over. We want your property to appreciate don't you? Why not have others "hype" it up for you then?

I can see it now...

Parkchester... The new billionaires row... in da boogie down Bronx!!
Dude, I am 58 years old, I have taken care of all my financial needs by the age of 49, and my goal for the Parkchester condo is NOT appreciation, just the opposite. No, I am not interested in appreciation of that particular property; I am interested in solid neighbors (of any race, and any financial status other than welfare-dependence), and in complete removal of crime from that neighborhood. I am not "hyping" Parchester, but just spreading the information that a decent place exists in the Bronx for people sharp enough to appreciate historical architecture and to have better things to do than only grubbing for money to buy Armani suits, or mugging for money to buy meth.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:01 PM

12,741 posts, read 8,162,285 times
Quote:
Dude, I am 58 years old, I have taken care of all my financial needs by the age of 49, and my goal for the Parkchester condo is NOT appreciation, just the opposite. No, I am not interested in appreciation of that particular property; I am interested in solid neighbors (of any race, and any financial status other than welfare-dependence), and in complete removal of crime from that neighborhood. I am not "hyping" Parchester, but just spreading the information that a decent place exists in the Bronx for people sharp enough to appreciate historical architecture and to have better things to do than only grubbing for money to buy Armani suits, or mugging for money to buy meth.
You can't have it both ways. You don't care about appreciation, but you want the crime to just vanish with the pop of a finger. The only that'll happen is if the apartments appreciate and bring in people with higher incomes that work and aren't ghetto. The ghetto types have to be pushed out first.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You can't have it both ways. You don't care about appreciation, but you want the crime to just vanish with the pop of a finger. The only that'll happen is if the apartments appreciate and bring in people with higher incomes that work and aren't ghetto. The ghetto types have to be pushed out first.
Oh yes, it can be both ways. There are people with low incomes who aren't ghetto (I just gave you several examples from the world which is closest to me, one could come up with hundreds of other types of people who fall under the category of good character/low income). The guy that will eventually do your cardiac bypass, but is this year in the second year of surgical residency at Einstein (ie, finished med school 3 years ago), makes about $60k per year, owes $250,000 in educational debt, and his wife is pregnant. If you replace ghetto types with that kind of low income people, the properties will not appreciate too much, but the place will not be ghetto or criminal. Parkchester is about 1/4 of the way there, 3/4 left to go.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:41 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,072,378 times
So Parkchester is 75% ghetto & criminal?

Old 04-06-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
So Parkchester is 75% ghetto & criminal?
No, Parkchester is very little ghetto and criminal, it is mostly very okay already (I think). But only about 1/4 of Parkchester residents (based on the sample of people I have met there, or can infer about through statistics) fall into the category of people to whom I would leave my mailbox keys and ask them to pick up my mail while I am traveling away from home for a month - meaning people who are unquestionably rock-solid safe.

By way of comparison, my primary home right now is a 70-unit condo building, only about 10% owner-occupied (I am one of the rare owners) in a large Northeastern city which is not New York. About 90% of the units are rented to postgraduate university types and young professionals. I could leave my mailbox keys to anyone in my present condo building with no problem. I have owned the unit in the building for 18 years, there were never any problems with anyone in the building, and zero incidence of mugging (or anything worse) in the neighborhood.

Last edited by elnrgby; 04-06-2018 at 05:18 PM..

Old 04-06-2018, 07:53 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,245,410 times
The statues are kind of strange.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:38 PM

6,033 posts, read 4,384,631 times
SeventhFloor, what kind of moderator are you to let the same person repeat the same hype about the same housing development over and over again when the rest of us are trying to enjoy the dark humor that lets people be NYers without going crazy?

Old 04-06-2018, 11:06 PM

36,899 posts, read 38,810,969 times
Renovated 3 bedroom unit in Parkchester with a five thousand dollar a month stipend at the local Macy’s or a billionaire’s row studio?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City