Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Easy question
Parkchester 3 18.75%
Parkchester 1 6.25%
Parkchester 3 18.75%
Billionaires row, nah I’m just kidding. Parkchester baby! All day everyday! 9 56.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 01:54 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I personally am not hoping for gentrification of Parkchester (if by that is meant the increase in the price of properties or rents), but that more good quality people (yes, that generally means better educated people) of limited means will find Parkchester on the map. More minority scholars/professionals would be EXTREMELY welcome!
That's still gentrification and rents would still rise because of a higher income bracket.
Parkchester gentrification will happen at some point, as the South Bronx gentrification picks up speed.

I just meant that posting about this on City Data isn't going to influence the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 02:04 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
Q
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
That's still gentrification and rents would still rise because of a higher income bracket.
Parkchester gentrification will happen at some point, as the South Bronx gentrification picks up speed.

I just meant that posting about this on City Data isn't going to influence the process.
Well, I got a couple of inquiries. Again, very young, very educated people are in the same income bracket as working- class people. People in humanities (say, librarians) stay in this low income bracket typically for life. If you have an enclave of such people, prices do not go up (I know, I have seen it in other places. Northern reaches of the Upper West Side used to be that way for a very long time).

Old 04-08-2018, 04:31 PM

268 posts, read 239,698 times
Parkchester elementary school scores 3 out of 10 according to GreatSchools. Gentrification is going to be a looooong time coming with those kids of stats.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:14 PM

6,149 posts, read 4,514,052 times
Quote:
Q

Well, I got a couple of inquiries. Again, very young, very educated people are in the same income bracket as working- class people. People in humanities (say, librarians) stay in this low income bracket typically for life. If you have an enclave of such people, prices do not go up (I know, I have seen it in other places. Northern reaches of the Upper West Side used to be that way for a very long time).
For a very long time until it gentrified along with the rest of Manhattan.

Also uneducated working people like barbers and tailors and retail workers fit into that low for life income bracket. Can you picture yourself rubbing elbows with the butcher and the baker? There's a conflict in your thought process there.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayona View Post
Parkchester elementary school scores 3 out of 10 according to GreatSchools. Gentrification is going to be a looooong time coming with those kids of stats.
Not everybody has kids. There are people who do not have them yet, people whose kids have grown up/left home, and people who just do not care much for kids at all.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
For a very long time until it gentrified along with the rest of Manhattan.

Also uneducated working people like barbers and tailors and retail workers fit into that low for life income bracket. Can you picture yourself rubbing elbows with the butcher and the baker? There's a conflict in your thought process there.
There is no conflict. I can totally rub my elbows with the butcher and the baker - but not with a criminal and with Section 8. The latter two are the only ones I would prefer far away from my elbows.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:36 PM

954 posts, read 939,392 times
Quote:
I never saw anyone selling phones on any corner in Parkchester. While 75% of Parkchester could still be upgraded to an entirely safe population (without changing the income level), it is already 25% excellent and 75% okay (by my estimate, derived mostly from educational levels), which is far better than the Bronx average. Again, I do believe that the level of education is still the best screening marker for anybody's neighbors. An education-oriented community, no matter how poor, is always acceptably safe.
This is probably the saddest post I’ve seen on here...

Old 04-08-2018, 06:00 PM

37,147 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Probably CBTC on the 6 train and Penn Station Access would move things along in Parkchester pretty quickly.

Come on y’all, it’s time to Parkchester!

Old 04-08-2018, 07:20 PM

87 posts, read 93,642 times
Quote:
Having spent many years as a very poor person pursuing very high education, I am aware how important to that kind of person is an information about cheap yet decent (and even historically architecturally significant) place to live. The types of people that I am talking about are postdoctoral fellows/junior researchers in basic sciences, medical residents, and people with careers in humanities at every level. Many, very many of such people are immigrants (like me) or come from limited means in the US (including minorities and first-generation college graduates). There are high quality people with very little money, and very limited earning potential within the first 5-10 years of their career, or in case of humanities, ever. Some retirees from the world of academia fall into this category of high quality people with low means too. These people (in many ways similar to me) are the ones who should know about Parkchester.

One has to be dumb as a doorknob, a total imbecile with an IQ well below the level of an ape, to compare the kind of people described above with billionaires. SeventhFloor, what kind of "moderator" are you, allowing a city living forum, that is presumably supposed to be informative about city living, to get infested with a million of idiotic threads in which the same 5-6 people just keep repeating forever the same very stupid and unfunny "joke"?

Hes the people's m0d ...

Old 04-08-2018, 08:07 PM

954 posts, read 939,392 times
Quote:
Not everybody has kids. There are people who do not have them yet, people whose kids have grown up/left home, and people who just do not care much for kids at all.
This statement right here proves you have no idea who gentrification works affluent buyers/renters demand good schools wether or not they have kids right now. These are the type of people who plan for the future. Investing in a neighborhood with a serious school problem is just a bad investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City