Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 01:41 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
no, you are wrong about that. the chenese population in DR has historically had and strong presence.
mostly in SD. equating the size of a population with its influence in a country is just plain dumb. the US has about 8 million jews and they have a huge influence in the country. an example of this are the 100,000 Dominicans that are descendants of Lebanese migrants, they basically control the economy, even more so that the local traditional dominican/spanish elite.
Neither Chinese or Lebanese people are white though, so his original point still stands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Then the one of the very few that I can think of with substantial numbers of Blacks and whites along with other races would be Corona along with Rego Park. Russian Jews are more likely to send their kids to schools with other people than Hasidics.

Lower East Side is a pretty diverse and you'll find Latinos, Blacks, and Jews there, along with gentrifiers.

UWS does have a lot of Blacks and Latinos in the neighborhood, but they are mostly in public housing. So I don't consider that integration. Ditto Chelsea.
Are most of the blacks and Puerto Ricans in the LES hanging on due to rent stabilization/public housing, though?

Parts of North Shore/Mid Island SI might have black/white integration, and certain Rockaway neighborhoods might have black/white integration as well, on paper at least. But these are such small examples in the grand scheme of NYC.

On Long Island, the only places I can think of are West Hempstead and Baldwin, and Baldwin is in the process of white flight (or maybe just not many white people moving in).

Old 04-13-2018, 01:48 PM

453 posts, read 317,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Neither Chinese or Lebanese people are white though, so his original poiny still stands.
not it dosent, the point i was making is that here in the US people only "see" the average stereotypical Dominican. But thousands of other dominicans move around them, unseen.

there are 1.6 million of white people in DR.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
not it dosent, the point i was making is that here in the US people only "see" the average dominican. But thousands of other dominicans move around them, unseen.

there are 1.6 million of white people in DR.
"White" in Latin America could mean someone who looks like Michelle Rodriguez or J Balvin, who would not be considered white by anyone in the US.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
"White" in Latin America could mean someone who looks like Michelle Rodriguez or J Balvin, who would not be considered white by anyone in the US.
Those are white people, from europe, if you want to talk about northern Europeans or whatever twisted american idea of whiteness, then that another subject.
and yes, most of them will be considered white here, just as italians, Spaniards ect are considered white.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
those are white people, from europe, if you want to talk about northern Europeans or whatever twisted american idea of whiteness, then that another subject.
My point is that people with visible indigenous and/or African ancestry might be considered white in Latin America, but not the US or Europe. Colombia has a large white population by their standards, but NYwriter and I agree that very few Colombians are actually white. I've never met a white Colombian in the US, and he barely say any white people in Colombia.

Old 04-13-2018, 02:01 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Are most of the blacks and Puerto Ricans in the LES hanging on due to rent stabilization/public housing, though?

Parts of North Shore/Mid Island SI might have black/white integration, and certain Rockaway neighborhoods might have black/white integration as well, on paper at least. But these are such small examples in the grand scheme of NYC.

On Long Island, the only places I can think of are West Hempstead and Baldwin, and Baldwin is in the process of white flight (or maybe just not many white people moving in).
Of course most of the Blacks and Latinos in the LES are there due to rent stabilization. Not counting the ones in NYCHA.

Old 04-13-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
My point is that people with visible indigenous and/or African ancestry might be considered white in Latin America, but not the US or Europe. Colombia has a large white population by their standards, but NYwriter and I agree that very few Colombians are actually white. I've never met a white Colombian in the US, and he barely say any white people in Colombia.
those do not fall in the white category, they go with the 78% that is mixed. that 16% of white poeple are not very mixed. some of them are second or thrid generation european inmigrants. some are old time dominicans.

true that the majority of Dominican whites are of Mediterranean origin are will not be out of ordinary. but some are very white, blond ect, i know as a personal anecdote, i observed as a kid, that white Dominicans suffered a form of "soft racism" as they didnt look like the majority. i had a friend that had to cut off his hair. so people stop assuming he was some tourist. but he was 100% dominican.

when you too different then is also bad.

Old 04-13-2018, 02:05 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
no, you are wrong about that. the chenese population in DR has historically had and strong presence.
mostly in SD. equating the size of a population with its influence in a country is just plain dumb. the US has about 8 million jews and they have a huge influence in the country. an example of this are the 100,000 Dominicans that are descendants of Lebanese migrants, they basically control the economy, even more so that the local traditional dominican/spanish elite.
What is your nationality/ethnicity, and where are you from?

In terms of culture and politics Chinese Dominicans have very minor influence.

Old 04-13-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
those do not fall in the white category, they go with the 78% that is mixed. that 16% of white poeple are not very mixed. some of them are second or thrid generation european inmigrants. some are old time dominicans.

true that the majority of Dominican whites are of Mediterranean origin are will not be out of ordinary. but some are very white, blond ect, i know as a personal anecdote, i observed as a kid, that white Dominicans suffered a form of "soft racism" as they didnt look like the majority. i had a friend that had to cut off his hair. so people stop assuming he was some tourist. but he was 100% dominican.

when you too different then is also bad.
I highly, highly doubt 16% of Dominicans are white, but I haven't been there so I won't say much more on that.

I do know that roughly 0% of Ecuadorians are white, at least in Guayaquil, Cuenca, Montanita, Ballenita, Canar Province, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City