Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 08:27 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
They're basing it on sales price, Douglaston's inventory is probably low and that most likely explains why its not on the list.
Maybe that's it. The median home price for Douglaston-Little Neck is just under 1 million ($961,000)

https://www.zillow.com/douglaston-li...y/home-values/

I hate how they always lump Douglaston and Little Neck together. I think Douglaston has better homes overall, though Little Neck's historic district has some nice blocks and houses as well. Douglaston's historic district has more properties with waterfront opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 10:05 PM

82 posts, read 62,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
If you define affordable, then we can give suggestions. Are you buying or renting? What is your budget (purchase price for buying monthly amount for renting)?

Also might make sense to make a new thread since this one is about expensive places to live and you are asking the opposite.
Fair enough

Old 04-20-2018, 08:29 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Remember that Brooklyn Heights was always an upper middle to upper class area and didn't need to gentrify. The housing stock is older there too. It is Brooklyn's Upper East Side. More old money, reserved and family-oriented. Lovely tree-lined streets and charming old brownstones, with the best street... Pierrepont...

I disagree, pierrepont. I think Remsen is best.

Do you live in BH? Except for restaurants, I like it even better than the UES. I lived on Columbia Heights for a short time, long ago.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:41 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

Do you live in BH? Except for restaurants, I like it even better than the UES. I lived on Columbia Heights for a short time, long ago.
Remsen dead ends directly onto the Promenade

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-20-2018, 09:13 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:

Brooklyn Heights is very nice, but the restaurants and shops are really pretty sparse. It's a good thing that DUMBO and downtown Brooklyn have been filling up, because otherwise it'd be pretty slim pickings without taking the subway or a cab.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:20 AM

782 posts, read 527,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Brooklyn Heights is very nice, but the restaurants and shops are really pretty sparse. It's a good thing that DUMBO and downtown Brooklyn have been filling up, because otherwise it'd be pretty slim pickings without taking the subway or a cab.
This was a number of years ago, but we tried most of the restaurants on Montague Street and couldn't believe how many of them were mediocre. There was one deli that was pretty decent but that was it. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things though when there were good places on Atlantic Avenue and further south.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
This was a number of years ago, but we tried most of the restaurants on Montague Street and couldn't believe how many of them were mediocre. There was one deli that was pretty decent but that was it. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things though when there were good places on Atlantic Avenue and further south.
The big highlight to me is the odd, literally mom and pop sushi place inside the Clark station--it's not amazing, but it's likable especially the Korean raw fish dishes. Henry's End is also very good. Noodle Pudding is quaint. There's a few other things here and there that are at least okay, but not much variety though much better than say five years ago. Mind you, none of this is Montague Street which is curiously mediocre. Is the deli you're talking about Lassen & Hennigs?

Old 04-20-2018, 09:45 AM

782 posts, read 527,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The big highlight to me is the odd, literally mom and pop sushi place inside the Clark station--it's not amazing, but it's likable especially the Korean raw fish dishes. Henry's End is also very good. Noodle Pudding is quaint. There's a few other things here and there that are at least okay, but not much variety. Mind you, none of this is Montague Street which is curiously mediocre. Is the deli you're talking about Lassen & Hennigs?
Interesting about the sushi place. Will keep that in mind when I'm in the area.

I liked Henry's End too. We were regulars. Good food and really friendly staff. Didn't care for Noodle Pudding that much based on a couple of visits.

Yep, Lassen and Henning's.

There were also a couple of other decent places on the side streets in Brooklyn Heights but I can't remember the names. For the most part, we walked down to Atlantic or over to Smith Street but that's not Brooklyn Heights.

I do remember Queen on Court Street that was pretty good.

I'm sure the food scene has improved somewhat though since it has pretty much everywhere else in the city.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:59 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
I liked all the terrific inexpensive Middle Eastern restaurants that were congregated on Atlantic Avenue and just into Cobble Hill. And in the twinkling of an eye, they all disappeared. (Gives you an idea of how long ago I am talking.)

The only thing left that I like is the Atlantic Chip shop, really terrific fish, and that really is as much Cobble Hill as Brooklyn Heights.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I liked all the terrific inexpensive Middle Eastern restaurants that were congregated on Atlantic Avenue and just into Cobble Hill. And in the twinkling of an eye, they all disappeared. (Gives you an idea of how long ago I am talking.)

The only thing left that I like is the Atlantic Chip shop, really terrific fish, and that really is as much Cobble Hill as Brooklyn Heights.
Several of the Middle Eastern places on Atlantic are still open and it'd be good to support their business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City