Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 01:04 PM

395 posts, read 490,573 times

Advertisements

actually spring and fall temp is pretty nice 60's-70's...love the fall though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 01:58 PM

493 posts, read 637,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentnyc View Post
actually spring and fall temp is pretty nice 60's-70's...love the fall though.
So, are you guys wearing t-shirts now during the day, when does t-shirt weather come? mid-march?

Old 03-27-2008, 02:09 PM

395 posts, read 490,573 times
unfortunately it is 48 degree right now..lol...won't be wearing t-shirt until mid-may...lol.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:08 PM

757 posts, read 3,363,354 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechocolate86 View Post
The platforms don't have climate controls?
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
How did I miss this gem? No, they definitely don't. Sure would be nice in August, though.
Life on the platforms in the summer got much worse as a/c was introduced in the trains. The hot air gets pushed out into the tunnels and platforms and has little means of escape. If the stations were cooled, it would make the street level around them even more unbearable.

Quote:
Quote:
So, are you guys wearing t-shirts now during the day, when does t-shirt weather come? mid-march?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentnyc View Post
unfortunately it is 48 degree right now..lol...won't be wearing t-shirt until mid-may...lol.
But it broke 60 yesterday, and I went out to do a few nearby errands in a cotton t-neck, no sweater or jacket, and was just fine.

Spring is a rare thing in New York. You jerk from winter, have a spring day, a few more winter days, a hot day, a spring day, a few winter days, two spring days, and then you're into summer. Or something like that.

I love New York. Really. Except for the weather.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:05 PM

493 posts, read 637,194 times
Between miserable weather cities like Chicago and New York...would y'all choose New York over Chicago...assuming anyone has been to both? might not get a fair answer in this forum...lol

Old 03-27-2008, 05:23 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Quote:
Between miserable weather cities like Chicago and New York...would y'all choose New York over Chicago...assuming anyone has been to both? might not get a fair answer in this forum...lol
Chicago is more affordable, but our winters don't compare to theirs at all. Chicago is a truly bitter cold place in winter. On that score alone I'd choose NYC. I'd choose NYC anyway, even if the climates were even. New York has more to offer and, at least to me, more pizazz.

Climate aside, Chicago is a pretty decent slightly lower-cost alternative if you're not allergic to the midwest.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:08 PM

757 posts, read 3,363,354 times
What's a midwest?

Old 03-27-2008, 08:44 PM

47 posts, read 270,939 times
Quote:
If I may ask, the climate has been portrayed to me by residents on this site in NYC as downright miserable...why did so many people settle in a poor climate...
I've long wondered why the most urban, vibrant, walkable cities are in the north...and meanwhile you have a state like California kind of wasting its beautiful weather by being so car dependent. Too bad it can't be the reverse!

But ITA about Chicago winters being much harsher. You get very little snow in the mid-Atlantic by comparison. It's still a great city though and worth considering.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:10 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emroyka View Post
I've long wondered why the most urban, vibrant, walkable cities are in the north...and meanwhile you have a state like California kind of wasting its beautiful weather by being so car dependent. Too bad it can't be the reverse!

But ITA about Chicago winters being much harsher. You get very little snow in the mid-Atlantic by comparison. It's still a great city though and worth considering.
Because California's population grew in a car era. San Francisco is the only place in California that truly resembles a city and its major period of initial growth was in the 1850s. They'd have to build things closer together to make California walkable. Too late for that in most places.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:25 AM

3 posts, read 8,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
A very wise woman once said to me:

If you are smart, you move to San Francisco.
If you are ambitious, you move to LA.
If you are smart and ambitious, you move to New York.

I grew up in one, went to college in another, live in the third and I agree completely.

This is very good! can I quote you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City