Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 06:55 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
Uh... do you know about the history of Italy? Or of Ashkenazi Jews, for that matter?

My father who is 100% Sicilian did the ancestry test thing and he got back a large percentage of Ashkenazi markers. My mom (RIP) was half Jewish and half Sicilian--both her parents were, in turn, half Sicilian and half Ashkenazi. I did the ancestry test as well, and my DNA was almost identical to that of my dad's despite me being 75% Sicilian and 25% Ashkenazi.

Ashkenazi Jews cluster most frequently, DNA-wise, with Italians--specifically southern Italians. There is a reason why it's often hard to tell by looks who is (Ashkenazi) Jewish and who is Italian. Their DNA is so similar! Southern Italy's history is tied inexorably with that of European Jewry and it's shocking to me that you don't know this as a person who is of Southern Italian heritage. We are not talking about practicing Jews today left in Italy, of which there aren't many people. We're talking about huuuuuge historical populations which were forced to convert after centuries of living in harmony. These are people who converted to "fit in" and whose descendants are probably Catholic today but whose DNA passed on through time.

Ashkenazi Jews are the descendants of Middle Eastern men who migrated en masse during the Roman Empire to Southern Europe (mostly Italy) and who married local convert Italian and other Southern European women. This has been proven time and time again during DNA analyses and the Khazaria hypothesis for Ashkenazi Jewish heritage has been debunked. Ashkenazi Jews aren't Eastern European--they may have moved and settled in Eastern Europe, but they come long ago from Middle Eastern paternal haplogroups and (Southern) European maternal lines. There is even written evidence for this historical migration. See more:

Did Modern Jews Originate in Italy? | Science | AAAS

https://geneticliteracyproject.org/2...study-asserts/

https://www.the-scientist.com/?artic...shkenazi-Jews/

The time and place of European admixture in Ashkenazi Jewish history

Welcome to the family. You coming over for Seder?
I lived in Italy and traveled all over the country... North, South, Sicily, etc. As I said, I acknowledged that some Italians were Jews. It's pretty obvious by some of the last names that were changed. If we're talking "many" then there should be *numbers* otherwise it's all subjective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 07:37 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,685,018 times
I have also lived in Italy and have dual citizenship. It's shocking that you don't know this. Southern Italy had a large and quite prosperous Jewish population.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:44 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
I have also lived in Italy and have dual citizenship. It's shocking that you don't know this. Southern Italy had a large and quite prosperous Jewish population.
Yes. Until the Spanish Inquisition forced them to convert to Catholic. Spain and Portugal also had large and prosperous Jewish populations that were forced to convert to Catholicism or exiled.

The first synagogue in 500 years has opened up in Southern Italy and a number of conversos are exploring their Jewish ancestry.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:48 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,685,018 times
It's just ironic to me because Pierre is obviously anti-Semetic, but he's probably Jewish himself. lol

Old 04-27-2018, 01:39 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,429 times
NyWriterdude liked this quote from speediestevie so much, he boldfaced it: US also provides assistance to dozens of other countries - a glaring omission because the aid defines our foreign policy vis-a-vis other countries.

To both you and speediestevie, no, it's not a "glaring omission."

The foreign aid we provide Israel doesn't compare to the token aid we give the rest of the world.

From CNN: Seventy-five percent of U.S. foreign military financing goes to two countries: https://www.cnn.com/2015/11/11/polit...ort/index.html

Those two countries are Israel and Egypt. And the money we give to Egypt stems from promises in the 1978 Camp David Accords, when the U.S. essentially bribed Egypt to make peace with Israel (i.e., the money we give to Egypt is for Israel's benefit).

If you check that CNN article, you'll see the lopsided distribution of American military and economic aid.

Israel gets more money than the entire continent of Africa.

Another factoid. Apart from post-World War II reconstruction, American economic aid was intended solely for poor, developing nations. But an exception was made for Israel, which is the only advanced, developed nation to receive American economic aid. Indeed, Israel receives the lion's share of American economic aid.

Israel is rich. It doesn't need American money. It takes our money because it can. Because its powerful lobby enables Israel to shake down the American taxpayer, like no other nation on Earth.

Old 04-27-2018, 03:36 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
None of which justifies attacking someone walking down the street. Certain posters make all kinds of justifications and essentially blame the Black person if there is any problem with the police.

The fact that some Jews are racist does not justify violence against them any more than the fact that some Blacks are criminals does not justify violence against us. There are bad people in every group.

I was not conversing with any one justifying anti Semitic attacks. I was telling someone who has a habit of painting Jews as saints that their racism is just as pervasive as it is among other groups. The "I marched with MLK in Selma" is tired. MLK in fact said that the worst demonstrations of bigotry that he experienced weren't in Mississippi or Alabama, but right there in Chicago.

There are those who love to end the narrative of MLK at Selma because after the Civil Rights bill was passed his attention began to shift from the South to a nationwide focus, because his experience in Chicago taught him that racism wasn't just a southern phenomenon. It was noted that many of his Jewish "allies" deserted him when his focus shifted from a purely southern campaign.

So people like that poster need to quite the "I marched with MLK" nonsense in their pretense that only a narrow spectrum of white America has been guilty of racism. What did the Jews do in cities like NYC and Chicago and LA. Evidence shows that they were as much of a problem as were other northern whites. This is why many younger blacks shifted their strategies in the post MLK era. They saw rampant hypocrisy.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:10 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I was not conversing with any one justifying anti Semitic attacks. I was telling someone who has a habit of painting Jews as saints that their racism is just as pervasive as it is among other groups. The "I marched with MLK in Selma" is tired. MLK in fact said that the worst demonstrations of bigotry that he experienced weren't in Mississippi or Alabama, but right there in Chicago.

There are those who love to end the narrative of MLK at Selma because after the Civil Rights bill was passed his attention began to shift from the South to a nationwide focus, because his experience in Chicago taught him that racism wasn't just a southern phenomenon. It was noted that many of his Jewish "allies" deserted him when his focus shifted from a purely southern campaign.

So people like that poster need to quite the "I marched with MLK" nonsense in their pretense that only a narrow spectrum of white America has been guilty of racism. What did the Jews do in cities like NYC and Chicago and LA. Evidence shows that they were as much of a problem as were other northern whites. This is why many younger blacks shifted their strategies in the post MLK era. They saw rampant hypocrisy.
Very interesting how this shift coincided perfectly with when the Democrats shifted their concentration and allegiance to the north. They knew that with civil rights they lost the battle and had to update their strategy and marketing campaign.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:13 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yes. Until the Spanish Inquisition forced them to convert to Catholic. Spain and Portugal also had large and prosperous Jewish populations that were forced to convert to Catholicism or exiled.

The first synagogue in 500 years has opened up in Southern Italy and a number of conversos are exploring their Jewish ancestry.
Southern Europe has had a large Jewish population since the days of Rome. After the fall of Rome. Jews made up much of the mercantile class across the Mediterranean. Jewish merchants would bring goods as far east as Alexandria and Constantinople to far west as Spain. One of the major branches of Judaism are Spanish jews known as spehardi. Spehardi jews now are mainly found in South France, Israel, Greece and Turkey.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:19 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Southern Europe has had a large Jewish population since the days of Rome. After the fall of Rome. Jews made up much of the mercantile class across the Mediterranean. Jewish merchants would bring goods as far east as Alexandria and Constantinople to far west as Spain. One of the major branches of Judaism are Spanish jews known as spehardi. Spehardi jews now are mainly found in South France, Israel, Greece and Turkey.
And to a lesser extent, Moracco.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:33 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
The following States hated jews in terms of history. Selecuid Greek Kingdom, Rome, byzantine empire, crusader kingdoms, Republic of Venice, unified Kingdom of Spain, kingdom of Portugal, Kingdom of England, Russian empire, nazi empire, Soviet union, North Korea, communist Cuba, independent Arab Republican States. Historically, jews had it bad in these realms. Growing up here in nyc, I have always heard of stories of Holocaust by the nazis, or how jews had to flee persecution from the Soviet Union, a state which I greatly admire.

States that welcomed jews. Persian empire, Macedonian empire, ptlomaic Egypt, Roman Republic, germanic kingdoms, Arab empires, kingdom of Poland, Mongols, Ottoman empire, French empire, United States, German empire, Argentina, French Republic, British Empire. In these realms jews had a lot of sway commanded markets, and were protected citizens. Jews even help such nations to propel them into super power status via trade and banking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City