Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2018, 06:44 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post
Wow this thread blew up.

A good example is East Crotona Park where all the fires happened in the 70's. Parts of that neighborhood are ugly as hell. Historic beautiful houses next to cheap modern constructions and everything in between in all cobbled together in random fashion. I guess people just bought up lots and did whatever the hell they wanted.
That's what I don't like about the south Bronx in general.

I have 2 kids who have expressed no desire to leave New York when they are on their own, but living here just gets more and more expensive, and there is no place in the city that is truly affordable anymore. To be fair, rents and purchase prices in the Bronx went up very slowly for many years compared to the rest of the city, but then they just jumped and increased exponentially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 07:08 AM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Now now... Don't point your nose too high in those Bedford Park fumes. You'd have to pay me to live there.
Do you own already? If you don’t, then that kind of mindset really lends itself to getting priced out of the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
That's what I don't like about the south Bronx in general.

I have 2 kids who have expressed no desire to leave New York when they are on their own, but living here just gets more and more expensive, and there is no place in the city that is truly affordable anymore. To be fair, rents and purchase prices in the Bronx went up very slowly for many years compared to the rest of the city, but then they just jumped and increased exponentially.
Don’t you own an entire house? If so, the kids can probably stay for a long while, even with spouses, probably. Pull a classic immigrant move—the kids save up a bunch instead of throwing away money on the rent and then buy when able.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:38 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Don’t you own an entire house? If so, the kids can probably stay for a long while, even with spouses, probably. Pull a classic immigrant move—the kids save up a bunch instead of throwing away money on the rent and then buy when able.
Yes we do and that's what may happen. I'm sure they'd like to experience living somewhere else at some point though, even if it's just a different part of the city. They were so little when we moved here that they can't remember anything else. My oldest is thinking about college and we're even considering dorming in a CUNY for a year or 2, just to do something different. (Also considering SUNYs upstate.)

Old 04-28-2018, 07:46 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Do you own already? If you don’t, then that kind of mindset really lends itself to getting priced out of the market.
Ha! That's a good one. In my early 20s I chose to pay down my student loans. There's no rush to own. If I was living with 5 roommates you'd have a point, but my girlfriend and I have a combined salary over $150,000. She's Manhattan centric. I am not, so I will own with or without her since I'm not sure where I want to buy yet, and she certainly is in no shape to own despite earning over $100k a year. I'm the more responsible of the two and **** away less money. Aside from that, I have a multi-year lease in a brand new apartment. This new place is just helping me realize exactly what I want when I buy, but it certainly won't be in Bedford Park of all places.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Ha! That's a good one. In my early 20s I chose to pay down my student loans. There's no rush to own. If I was living with 5 roommates you'd have a point, but my girlfriend and I have a combined salary over $150,000. She's Manhattan centric. I am not, so I will own with or without her since I'm not sure where I want to buy yet, and she certainly is in no shape to own despite earning over $100k a year. I'm the more responsible of the two and **** away less money. Aside from that, I have a multi-year lease in a brand new apartment. This new place is just helping me realize exactly what I want when I buy, but it certainly won't be in Bedford Park of all places.
I don’t know how much over 150k you’re talking, so maybe that’ll work out. Maybe your parents will help. Good luck!

Old 04-28-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Yes we do and that's what may happen. I'm sure they'd like to experience living somewhere else at some point though, even if it's just a different part of the city. They were so little when we moved here that they can't remember anything else. My oldest is thinking about college and we're even considering dorming in a CUNY for a year or 2, just to do something different. (Also considering SUNYs upstate.)
Hell, yea, then rent the kid’s room out to a Lehman or Fordham student. Profit!

Old 04-28-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
I don’t know how much over 150k you’re talking, so maybe that’ll work out. Maybe your parents will help. Good luck!
lol Mommy and Daddy... They haven't "helped" me since I was in high school! I'm not looking to buy a house. I don't want that upkeep. An apartment with a balcony, lots of green... Good transportation to Manhattan. LIRR, express buses or Metro-North. That's all I need. Oh and somewhere to park the car. Sooner or later the girlfriend will cave and stop buying stock in Uber and just get a car. We don't have kids and are young so it's more than doable in a number in neighorhoods, including Manhattan. Our place in the city is good. I'm just not sure if I want to buy there though. Noise noise noise...

I may even consider buying something and just gutting it, this way I get it exactly the way I want it.

Old 04-28-2018, 09:56 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
If you want to speak Spanish, you will find opportunities throughout the Bronx (well, maybe not in a few neighborhoods but in the vast majority of the borough). For me it's a big plus, but if you are someone who thinks that everyone should be speaking English, it's not the place for you.
The only Bronx neighborhood I've found so far with less than a 10% Hispanic population is Country Club, which still has an 8% Hispanic population!

Old 04-28-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The only Bronx neighborhood I've found so far with less than a 10% Hispanic population is Country Club, which still has an 8% Hispanic population!
Oh please. Like those Latinos are moving there to speak Spanish.... I could see it now... ¡¡Dímelo!!

Old 04-28-2018, 10:48 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post
Wow this thread blew up.

A good example is East Crotona Park where all the fires happened in the 70's. Parts of that neighborhood are ugly as hell. Historic beautiful houses next to cheap modern constructions and everything in between in all cobbled together in random fashion. I guess people just bought up lots and did whatever the hell they wanted.

This is probably something I should consider more. A lot of people who live in the Bronx also work in the Bronx or up in Westchester county and Connecticut. A lot of people in the East Bronx have cars as a necessity.

Another thing people do to afford rents in the BX is to fake their documents. Some brokers will help you photoshop your paystubs and tax returns to help you qualify.

What this shows is that rent stabilization is pretty pointless in the Bronx. When I lived on Mosholu Pkwy in 2014 my studio cost $950 / month but the legal rent was $1600.

Landlords can increase preferential rents up to the legal maximum and as far as I can tell for the most part the legal rents are well above the market rate. That makes rent stabilization in the BX effectively useless.

This stuff always makes me laugh. People in NYC think all white people are somehow upper class and when you see one in your hood you know you're getting gentrified out. Ya'll need to take a road trip down to West Virginia..
Or really speak to the average white person in NYC. They have the same financial struggles as everyone else. They live in these neighborhoods initially as this is all they can afford. Then others move in because they saw that the previous ones didn't get killed. They have the same rent burden problems as everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City