Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2018, 06:42 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I'll stick with Stout in Midtown. I'm sure they have a more expansive beer selection than one would find in Bedford Park.
Fascinating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 07:08 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
That would seem expensive.
There are a few things that make a pedestrian walkway more feasible.

Here’s a candidate spot:

near 2509 Webster Ave, Bronx, NY 10458
https://goo.gl/maps/V3JNf5w7chM2

This is on the other side of a continuation of an existing Fordham campus road. Fordham is already at a higher elevation than the tracks and there isn’t a huge ramp up necessary to provide enough clearance. On the other side of the tracks, there’s a good amount of room before it hits the pavement on Webster Avenue to go back down; you can ramp do a curved ramp down to the southwest if the clearance isn’t enough without stairs on the direct route. If they want a guarded entrance into campus, there’s enough room for it. A pedestrian walkway doesn’t need to be huge and bulky.

There’s a bus stop near there and a somewhat more direct walk to the Kingsbridge Road stations. It might be a sensible convenience.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There are a few things that make a pedestrian walkway more feasible.

Here’s a candidate spot:

near 2509 Webster Ave, Bronx, NY 10458
https://goo.gl/maps/V3JNf5w7chM2

This is on the other side of a continuation of an existing Fordham campus road. Fordham is already at a higher elevation than the tracks and there isn’t a huge ramp up necessary to provide enough clearance. On the other side of the tracks, there’s a good amount of room before it hits the pavement on Webster Avenue to go back down; you can ramp do a curved ramp down to the southwest if the clearance isn’t enough without stairs on the direct route. If they want a guarded entrance into campus, there’s enough room for it. A pedestrian walkway doesn’t need to be huge and bulky.

There’s a bus stop near there and a somewhat more direct walk to the Kingsbridge Road stations. It might be a sensible convenience.
I guess depending on where it is, it could save a few minutes walk to the subway, but I don't know if that would be worth the expense.

Old 04-29-2018, 04:29 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It does seem like it’d be sensible now to make a pedestrian walkway over the tracks to Webster Avenue somewhere between Fordham Road and Bedford Park Boulevard. Perhaps it should be considered as the neighborhood improves.
Fordham will never allow it. At least not until the whole are West of Webster,North of Fordham Rd and South of BP Blvd is totally cleaned up.

Unlike some other major Universities around the country, Fordham made the disastrous strategic decision back in the 60's and 70's to completely wall it's campus off from everything around it. Big mistake which will become more and more apparent in the next decade. They should have made the strategic decision to buy up all the real estate they could get their hands on.

Old 04-29-2018, 04:49 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Fordham will never allow it. At least not until the whole are West of Webster,North of Fordham Rd and South of BP Blvd is totally cleaned up.

Unlike some other major Universities around the country, Fordham made the disastrous strategic decision back in the 60's and 70's to completely wall it's campus off from everything around it. Big mistake which will become more and more apparent in the next decade. They should have made the strategic decision to buy up all the real estate they could get their hands on.
I considered Fordham for grad school (still am) but likely the Manhattan campus. The immediate area around Fordham Road is dirty and seedy. I don't blame them for walling it off. Beautiful campus, probably nicer than the Manhattan location on the Upper West Side.

Old 04-29-2018, 04:55 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
I considered Fordham for grad school (still am) but likely the Manhattan campus. The immediate area around Fordham Road is dirty and seedy. I don't blame them for walling it off. Beautiful campus, probably nicer than the Manhattan location on the Upper West Side.
You could live in my neighborhood and go back and forth to Fordham by walking through The Botanical Garden and never seeing the real Bronx at all.

I grew up in Cambridge,Ma which in the 1960's looked like the dumpy parts of Wakefield. Harvard did the opposite of Fordham. They systematically bought up everything around them and kept expanding the circle further and further out. They took control of their surroundings rather than walling themselves off. When things began to change in the mid to late 80's they basically were in a position to completely reshape the city of Cambridge. Just a different mentality. As Belmont was sliding down, Fordham should have been buying up everything in sight.

Old 04-29-2018, 04:58 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
I grew up in Cambridge,Ma which in the 1960's looked like the dumpy parts of Wakefield. Harvard did the opposite of Fordham. They systematically bought up everything around them and kept expanding the circle further and further out. They took control of their surroundings . When things began to change in the mid to late 80's they basically were in a position to completely reshape the city of Cambridge. Just a different mentality.
Yes, you really can't compare. I don't think Fordham is looking to expand like say Columbia is. They're a small private school and from my interactions with them, they'd like to keep it that way. They're better than NYU and Columbia in that regard.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:

That area has a long way to go. Fordham feels good about it's involvement with POTs, but they're not going to make a bridge connecting to it -- they don't want that on campus.

Fordham's off-campus dorms are an eyesore. I don't understand how they take such care with the campus yet build so cheap and ugly off campus. I love Belmont but it's not the safest area is you veer of Arthur or 187th. I had a friend who moved from a building a couple of blocks north of Fordham Rd to a place a block south of 187th and was surprised by how dangerous it was because it looked so much nicer. For example, one day she was walking with her kids and this guy covered in blood ran past them, followed by a guy chasing him with a knife. True story.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
You could live in my neighborhood and go back and forth to Fordham by walking through The Botanical Garden and never seeing the real Bronx at all.

I grew up in Cambridge,Ma which in the 1960's looked like the dumpy parts of Wakefield. Harvard did the opposite of Fordham. They systematically bought up everything around them and kept expanding the circle further and further out. They took control of their surroundings rather than walling themselves off. When things began to change in the mid to late 80's they basically were in a position to completely reshape the city of Cambridge. Just a different mentality. As Belmont was sliding down, Fordham should have been buying up everything in sight.
I can't imagine what Belmont would look like now if Fordham had gotten it's hands on even more of it.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Yes, you really can't compare. I don't think Fordham is looking to expand like say Columbia is. They're a small private school and from my interactions with them, they'd like to keep it that way. They're better than NYU and Columbia in that regard.
Fordham has built lots of housing on the west side of the campus (which is beautiful by the way) and Fordham's presence in Belmont is continually expanding. Has their enrollment not increased as well? Seems unlikely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City