Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2018, 12:25 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Brooklyn has Long Island Railroad

Atlantic Terminal to Jamaica Queens(Which is major transfer point for LIRR to Long Island, Queens, Penn Station
East New York
Nostrand Avenue
I know but there are many more Metro-North stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 12:43 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I ride the B regularly, which is why I'm standing by what I said earlier, which is that it's doable if there are no delays, but how often is the B NOT delayed...

I think the topography may have something to do with that. Most of the Bronx is very hilly, which sort of cuts off parts of neighborhoods from another.

Riverdale has a campus feel, but only the parts immediately by Manhattan College. The thing with Lehman and Fordham U is a lot of students commute to and from. That's true with Manhattan College too actually, not to mention that the student populations aren't that huge to begin with. Fordham likes being small, so I don't expect them to expand like Columbia U, which has MUCH deeper pockets.
It is hilly and the universities aren't huge (though I've seen bigger college town strips for smaller colleges). I think even with most students commuting to and from, if by transit, involves a lot of potential foot traffic so it's still odd to me. I do think that large stretch running from Fordham Road to Bedford Park Boulevard without any pedestrian crossing (and a railroad line to boot) is a giant impediment to Fordham really being able to push its weight into the commuting--seems like it was a lot more focused on trying to avoid the rest of the neighborhood from pushing in. I think as the neighborhoods improve, they'll regret having done so, but they can still redress that in the future.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It is hilly and the universities aren't huge (though I've seen bigger college town strips for smaller colleges). I think even with most students commuting to and from, if by transit, involves a lot of potential foot traffic so it's still odd to me. I do think that large stretch running from Fordham Road to Bedford Park Boulevard without any pedestrian crossing (and a railroad line to boot) is a giant impediment to Fordham really being able to push its weight into the commuting--seems like it was a lot more focused on trying to avoid the rest of the neighborhood from pushing in. I think as the neighborhoods improve, they'll regret having done so, but they can still redress that in the future.
I'm not so sure about that. I've considered Fordham U for grad school (the Manhattan campus) and they like being small, almost humble in a way. I like that they're small and private and not pretentious like NYU. I've always attended small schools anyway, both here and in Europe. The last private school I went to was actually international, but still quite small and there was no real campus so everyone either had their own apartment or used the limited "dorms" the university provided.

I don't think they've got the monies to expand like that. Their Manhattan campus while nice could use some updating to be frank, which is not the end of the world, but something I did notice during my visit.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:08 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,199 times
Quote:
I'm not so sure about that. I've considered Fordham U for grad school (the Manhattan campus) and they like being small, almost humble in a way. I like that they're small and private and not pretentious like NYU. I've always attended small schools anyway, both here and in Europe. The last private school I went to was actually international, but still quite small and there was no real campus so everyone either had their own apartment or used the limited "dorms" the university provided.

I don't think they've got the monies to expand like that. Their Manhattan campus while nice could use some updating to be frank, which is not the end of the world, but something I did notice during my visit.
Fordham is a lot smaller than NYU, but it's considered a large university.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:12 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:

Who owns the buildings in Belmont? There's you answer.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-04-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Yeah but it's nothing like Columbia. Belmont isn't that big. Columbia not only has buildings in Upper Manhattan, but they a presence in Riverdale.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:17 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Yeah but it's nothing like Columbia. Belmont isn't that big. Columbia not only has buildings in Upper Manhattan, but they a presence in Riverdale.
Shucks, even CUNY owns more land than Fordham.....

Public never beats private.....

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-04-2018, 01:53 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Sh couldn't find a 1 bedroom for less than $1,500, or was she looking for something bigger?
She saw some 1 br's in The Bronx for $1,500 but they were all pretty dumpy, small or both. In order for her to find a decent sized 1 br with a renovated( within the last 5 years anyway) kitchen and bath in a nice building fairly close to the subway the rents were between $1800 and $2000 or higher.
The apartment she found in Pelham is really nice and right in the middle of town and only a few blocks walk to the metro north station which is only 22 mins to GC. The metro north thing doesn't really help her though because we work in The Bronx so she still has to drive to work . At least it only takes 20 mins though instead of an hour and 20 minutes. But her goal was to have a 20 minute commute and not have to drive to work at all.To maybe ditch the car completely. She is obsessed with saving money to buy an apartment as soon as possible which is why she didn't want to pay 1800 or more even though technically she could afford it.

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-04-2018 at 02:05 PM..

Old 05-04-2018, 02:13 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Everything is closer together than you may realize by looking at a map. I can walk to Kingsbridge/Broadway in about 30min or less from Bedford Park.
Yes, it's all pretty close to each other up there. It's just that Jerome Park is a bit of a barrier and the south side of the reservoir isn't great.

The Kingsbridge Armory development could work to make that south side of the reservoir knit together that large expanse of decent neighborhoods from the south, but I don't know where that thing's going now.

Quote:

I understand the rationale for why they didn't, but the pricing is probably not the main factor there. That main campus is in a place where property values were super cheap and they could have acquired land and buildings for a very modest sum compared to what NYU did with Greenwich Village or Columbia did with Morningside Heights

Old 05-04-2018, 02:18 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Mafia mostly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City