Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 08:28 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,578,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Most people that live in south Brooklyn take express buses.

i'm still stuck on how you think south Brooklyn has less transportation options.

Express buses, trains, regular bus, it's not like you can't get around. The transplants can't be more than 30 mins away from trivia night tho in a bar that looks like Eric Forman's basement. That's why they're not in south Brooklyn.
Not true. Most people in southern Brooklyn take the subway, whether it's the Q, the B, the F, the N, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
It seems like there are less people and traffic with each passing year. I've spoken to small business owners mainly in the Sheepshead Bay and Gravesend area who said they've never seen anything like this. From pizza parlors, bodegas, 99¢ stores, produce stores... they've all been hit pretty hard and it doesn't seem to get better. A store clerk described it as a "ghost town." A local real estate agent thinks the combination of being broke and poor with delayed warming of temperatures is causing people to be depressed so they're staying home more. A mail woman who delivers mails in our area said she's seeing a lot more houses being put up for sale.

What gives??
Weird. I'm there often and it seems as lively as ever.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:35 PM

12,751 posts, read 8,213,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Not true. Most people in southern Brooklyn take the subway, whether it's the Q, the B, the F, the N, etc.
Assuming you're near a subway. For those that aren't which includes parts of Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst, Bath Beach, Sheepshead Bay, etc. they take the express buses.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:58 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,422,247 times
Quote:
Weird. I'm there often and it seems as lively as ever.
I agree.

Old 04-28-2018, 09:24 PM

33,803 posts, read 47,033,072 times
Quote:
When I get out of work the lines for the express bus on Broadway are super long

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-29-2018, 09:01 AM

Lots of parts of South Brooklyn are really bustling and lively.
If you consider Midwood part of South Brooklyn, the Avenue J area and even the Avenue M area are very busy.
Kings Highway, further south, on the border of Midwood/Gravesend and Sheepshead Bay is very lively.
As is Avenue U.
Bensonhurst is also busy, as is Bay Ridge. All Southern Brooklyn.

Old 04-29-2018, 10:27 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,422,247 times
Quote:
Lots of parts of South Brooklyn are really bustling and lively.
If you consider Midwood part of South Brooklyn, the Avenue J area and even the Avenue M area are very busy.
Kings Highway, further south, on the border of Midwood/Gravesend and Sheepshead Bay is very lively.
As is Avenue U.
Bensonhurst is also busy, as is Bay Ridge. All Southern Brooklyn.
And there are always people hanging out on the whole length of Ocean Parkway (except late at night maybe)

Old 04-29-2018, 10:35 AM

766 posts, read 505,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Most people that live in south Brooklyn take express buses.

i'm still stuck on how you think south Brooklyn has less transportation options.

Express buses, trains, regular bus, it's not like you can't get around. The transplants can't be more than 30 mins away from trivia night tho in a bar that looks like Eric Forman's basement. That's why they're not in south Brooklyn.
Not everyone needs to go to manhattan for work so actually the express buses where I lived was pretty empty. It’s also a bit of a walking distance and cost wise not atttactive for the residents. Meanwhile the B44 to the junction was always packed.

I got a car when I used to live in mill basin. It was way more practical to have and time efficient even with traffic.

I wasn’t living on ocean avenue side so I can’t say otherwise but the bus was still packed to get to the F train on avenue u/stillwell as well

Like I said I got a car pretty fast this was many years ago

Old 04-29-2018, 01:05 PM

37,002 posts, read 39,060,092 times
Maybe this is just localized to Sheepshead Bay and Gravesend? Which commercial strips are we talking about?

Old 04-29-2018, 04:00 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,344,768 times
Lol OP, I you can't be serious. Go check out housing prices in South Brooklyn. What are you talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City