Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 01:59 PM

430 posts, read 504,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastskyline View Post
It really is none of your business and you shouldn't write here if you cannot contribute to the conversation.
you should've kept your query to reddit. This forum is for the most part pretty unhelpful in comparison (and generally more toxic).
you got your answer in reddit. why did you think you'd get different answers here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 02:14 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
The guy came here looking for advice about noise in WV
Funny I assumed the OP was female

Old 05-01-2018, 02:34 PM

6 posts, read 6,289 times
Not everyone from reddit is here too, and I figured I could use more opinions. Big thanks to everyone who really tried to help me out but some other users should really go **** themselves. The 'smell rich' guys should see a mirror first.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:15 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Not everyone from reddit is here too, and I figured I could use more opinions. Big thanks to everyone who really tried to help me out but some other users should really go **** themselves. The 'smell rich' guys should see a mirror first.
That's the NYC attitude!
Real, with a side of nice, and a bit of f8ck you when needed.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:17 PM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
You have the right idea--the posts who actually offered suggestions are good.

If noise is a big issue for you, then West Village is generally pretty noisy compared to the rest of the US. It is a dense city and it's a popular neighborhood. However, no one knows what your threshold for what too much noise is--only you do. The best they can do is offer advice on what relative noise is in the neighborhood and they said the streets that are noisier than others and the configuration, such as being in the back rather than the street facing units, are. The last thing is that if you really want to see how you can handle noise better at certain times, then it doesn't hurt to see what technologies there are from the simple like ear plugs and static noise generators, to stuff like double paned windows.

The biggest thing is to insist on checking these things out on a Friday and Saturday night for the place in question and figure it out from there. Also realize that some people can get used to a level of ambient noise and some can't. It's often a lot more about knowing your own tolerance levels than the actual decibel values itself.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:55 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Have you realized yet nobody thinks you're rich ?

Old 05-02-2018, 10:36 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
That's the NYC attitude!
Real, with a side of nice, and a bit of f8ck you when needed.
lol! But...true. Thx for the chuckle.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:24 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Noise is tough everywhere. I'm mid-block between Second and Third Avenues but bedroom window faces Second diagonally across a courtyard. If I open my bedroom window even a couple inches I am constantly awakened by air horns on trucks and sirens on ambulances, police cars, and fire trucks even being quite far from the avenue. It is no less loud now than when they were building the subway line.

Without my air conditioner, I would suffocate in the sealed apartment or be kept awake all night by street noise.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:37 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Have you realized yet nobody thinks you're rich ?
I think it's hilarious that transplants come here, want to live in Manhattan of all places and are concerned about noise and the subways. Manhattan is the last place you should live if you don't want to do deal with such things, or you could live on the UES where some blocks are nice and quiet and one is picked up by a town car and driven around.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:38 AM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I think it's hilarious that transplants come here, want to live in Manhattan of all places and are concerned about noise and the subways. Manhattan is the last place you should live if you don't want to do deal with such things, or you could live on the UES where some blocks are nice and quiet and one is picked up by a town car and driven around.
I'm "shocked"

LoL

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City