Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 05:58 PM

12,741 posts, read 8,164,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
The projects are split. Some of the buildings are in The Bronx and some are in Manhattan.
Yes the border of the projects are literally somewhere between say 228th and 230th street west of Broadway for sure. East of Broadway I would think just about all of the projects are in the Bronx, since they are north of 225th street on the eastern side. If the OP looks at a map they can see that the boundaries aren't cut and dry in terms a street because you don't get a street grid until you reach 230th street.

A part of me also wonders if there's any political history regarding the border of Marble Hill and Kingsbridge. What I mean by that is between the two neighborhoods, I think Kingsbridge gets sort of lost and overshadowed by Marble Hill and of course Riverdale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 06:24 PM

33,389 posts, read 46,795,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
The projects are split. Some of the buildings are in The Bronx and some are in Manhattan.
http://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nycha/dow...ble%20Hill.pdf

On the second page of that .pdf, on that table, whatever building has a BIN # thats starts with 1 is in Manhattan and whatever BIN # starts with 2 means that that building is in the Bronx. Only NYCHA split between 2 boroughs.

Around my way we have a project so large its in 2 different zip codes. Edgemere is in 11691 and 11692. So half the project has to go all the way to Mott Avenue for the post office if they need to, and the other half gets to walk 4-5 blocks away.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-30-2018, 06:37 PM

9,239 posts, read 23,971,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

On the second page of that .pdf, on that table, whatever building has a BIN # thats starts with 1 is in Manhattan and whatever BIN # starts with 2 means that that building is in the Bronx. Only NYCHA split between 2 boroughs.

Around my way we have a project so large its in 2 different zip codes. Edgemere is in 11691 and 11692. So half the project has to go all the way to Mott Avenue for the post office if they need to, and the other half gets to walk 4-5 blocks away.
Excellent!

Old 04-30-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

It's funny. I didn't realize that much of Marble Hill extended east of Broadway to include so many projects. In my mind if I crossed the street on the other side of Target, I was in the Bronx. Interesting. The other thing I think about is how West Kingsbridge Rd suddenly becomes 225th, but that little street (Exterior street) is essentially almost like the border of the Bronx (along 225th anyway). Even on the Eastern side of Broadway though, the Manhattan border isn't all the way up to 230th but that's the next closest street.

What's interesting too is the Marble Hill Metro-North station is technically in Manhattan, but the (MTA) treats it as if it is in the Bronx.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:16 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,381,888 times
It seems like most Marble Hill residents consider the whole neighborhood to be the Bronx

Old 05-01-2018, 09:24 AM

6,661 posts, read 5,929,944 times
To me, Marble Hill is all in the Bronx. Once you cross that Broadway Bridge, you are in the Bronx, period.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:29 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,605,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
It seems like most Marble Hill residents consider the whole neighborhood to be the Bronx
Yeah, geography isn't exactly a populist subject. For map nerds like me, here is the boundry:

The story is that Manhattan has always been an Island as long as man has been here. But the Harlem River to the North was too small for large ship traffic. So they dug a canal straight across and CLIPPED the fingertip of Manhattan Island which created an isolated mini Island. When they filled in the old river it was connected to the Bronx but still officially Manhattan

Old 05-01-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
To me, Marble Hill is all in the Bronx. Once you cross that Broadway Bridge, you are in the Bronx, period.
If only that were true, but if one were just looking, I agree. It looks and feels like the Bronx.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:49 AM

6,661 posts, read 5,929,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
If only that were true, but if one were just looking, I agree. It looks and feels like the Bronx.
I grew up around the area (Inwood, just below it), and not once did I ever consider it to be a part of Manhattan.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I grew up around the area (Inwood, just below it), and not once did I ever consider it to be a part of Manhattan.
Yeah because you never inquired... Just assumed it was across the bridge so it was in the Bronx. I will say that from an architectural standpoint if you just walked along Broadway there's no difference between say 225th and 230th... It looks quintessential Bronx, but some of the side streets have some very unique houses which I don't associate with the Bronx at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City