Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 11:04 PM

195 posts, read 429,781 times

Advertisements

I recently won a lottery and moved in to a nice area in queens. I have applied to many lotteries and I finally was able to acquire a studio. I have noticed how the history of housing lotteries has had its pros and cons in the pass, one of those cons is the stress and time spent in the process.. Furthermore reading the outstanding postings from those who have applied, won, and not won. I feel that we are a community that helps each other with questions that may arise through the lottery process.

One of the main concerns that I have had in reading the postings in housing lotteries is the discrepancies in the market rate apartments versus the low income apartments. I am referring to the how the apartments are built and how construction company makes the lower rate apartments compared to market rate. The "poor" door is one main example of what I referring to, as well as the cheaper appliances and apartment designs. The building I moved in to, is an 80/20 building, with the 80% tenants having washer/dryers as well as nice counter tops compared to the no w/d tenants with expensive appliances. I moved in 2 weeks ago, after spending 11 months waiting for the application process from start to end. Then I move in to realize that I was not allowed to get a floor plan of my studio because I was told that they do not have floor plans for the affordable apartments. I find this to be odd, and also that the laundromat in the basement of the building is "NOT OPEN" yet. How is it that a building that became moving in tenants in August of 2017does not have a working laundromat for the tenants with no w/d? Also when asked they keep saying that they are working on it, because of "cameras not yet installed" in basement. Complaining to management will only get us a generic apology.

My question to you folks is, are there laws to follow when making affordable housing apartments compared to market rate apartments? Are we still being discriminated against because we are given the chance to win apartments at lower market rate value, in exchange for cheaper appliances, lay outs and so forth?

I don't mind not having a w/d in my studio, but why not give us lower income folks the chance to buy our own washer and dryer and install it in the unit ? There are no wall pipes installed to allow us to install a washer and dryer so the affordable housing tenants are practically being forced to go to laundromat. I just find it odd to walk out of a high end building with my laundry bag when I should have been able to either wash in my apartment or take my laundry to the basement.

I am sure many of you guys who have dealt with these lotteries have dealt with situations where you feel there is something wrong with the unit you have moved in to, or that there are faulty discrepancies with affordable versus market rate apartments.

This is just a random discussion post, and not a rant..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 08:32 AM

174 posts, read 187,803 times
I personally find it a bit ridiculous that people don't think there should be any difference between what you get for $600/mo, versus what someone else should get when they pay $3500/mo. These housing lotteries allow people to get homes for WELL below market rate, keeping you in New York City, and in safe environments. The fact that people think they're entitled to even that is beyond me.. the fact that people think they're entitled to MORE than that is honestly ridiculous.

These lotteries are a HUGE benefit to whoever wins them.. even if you have to put up with a long process, and a poor door. I do agree that the poor door is a bit disgusting.. but that's just about what it says about the developers and the market rate people, that they actually think that mingling with people with less money than them is below them somehow. For the people who actually have to use the poor door... I don't see how it's an actual issue. I'd gladly waltz through a poor door, and let people think whatever they want about me. They're the *******s.

But for people complaining about amenities.. meh. Those cost money. Sorry. Of course, you should be entitled to quality workmanship. But anything above that.. nah. That **** costs money. Money is a discriminating factor.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:39 AM

6,684 posts, read 6,027,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TizOnly1 View Post
I personally find it a bit ridiculous that people don't think there should be any difference between what you get for $600/mo, versus what someone else should get when they pay $3500/mo. These housing lotteries allow people to get homes for WELL below market rate, keeping you in New York City, and in safe environments. The fact that people think they're entitled to even that is beyond me.. the fact that people think they're entitled to MORE than that is honestly ridiculous.

These lotteries are a HUGE benefit to whoever wins them.. even if you have to put up with a long process, and a poor door. I do agree that the poor door is a bit disgusting.. but that's just about what it says about the developers and the market rate people, that they actually think that mingling with people with less money than them is below them somehow. For the people who actually have to use the poor door... I don't see how it's an actual issue. I'd gladly waltz through a poor door, and let people think whatever they want about me. They're the *******s.

But for people complaining about amenities.. meh. Those cost money. Sorry. Of course, you should be entitled to quality workmanship. But anything above that.. nah. That **** costs money. Money is a discriminating factor.

I actually agree with this post, but more with the bold.

For the OP - I don't think studios have their own washer/ dryers unless it's one of the much larger ones.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:42 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,826,999 times
I don't think you should be complaining, just be happy what you get, you won the lottery, just think about those folks that didn't win it, who will be much happier with your spot.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:36 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,563,439 times
The poor door has been rendered illegal. Some exceptions have been allowed, though. I have noticed it's usually done where there's a co-op or condo building and an adjacent building for the lottery winners. (Years ago, the low-income building could actually be built in another neighborhood altogether or even in a different borough!)

Also, the lottery apartments are supposed to be distributed throughout the building and not congregated on "poor floors" or given the worst views.

There is also a rule concerning square feet in the lottery units. They are not allowed to be substantially smaller. I hope another poster helps me out here with specifics.

Aside from these aspects, it's perfectly legal for lottery apartments to NOT have the same finishes and appliances as the market raters. You may not get a dishwasher, a washer-dryer, hardwood floors, or a microwave.

I have noticed lately, though, that many lottery units are essentially the same.

Be happy with what you've got!

Old 04-30-2018, 11:42 AM

965 posts, read 1,113,849 times
A win is a win.

Honestly, just be happy you got the spot.
Let's look at the pluses.

1. You live on your own.
1. You live on your own.
1. You live on your own.

Forget everything else, you friggin' live on your own.

Someone had the audacity to say to me "why would anyone in their right mind take an apartment with white appliances?"
I promptly said "I live on my own."

Who cares about white vs stainless steel and hardwood floor vs linoleum or back splash vs no back splash?

As for the laundry. It will open when it's ready.
My building didn't open the garage until almost a year after. (I don't have a car, but even if I did, all I can do is wait.)

If these are your only "concerns" then you my friend, have no issues.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:48 AM

195 posts, read 429,781 times
Thank you all.. greatly appreciate your feedback. Time for me to get the hammer out and make a few adjustments in the apartment. good luck to everyone who has applied have a blessed day everyone.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:22 PM

24 posts, read 28,450 times
Great post! People are quick to say “be grateful” until they are in your shoes as I am! It is definitely ya hassle to be forced to take a cab to do laundry because you don’t own a car and the nearest laundromat is 10mins away walking through busy streets. I too am frustrated and if there was something more I could do trust me that I would. Just because one doesn’t agree with being discriminated against doesn’t mean that one isn’t grateful for the opportunity. I feel blessed, but just because I’m one of the lucky ones doesn’t mean I’m going to stay shut and act like nothing is happening because that’s exactly what they expect you to do. I have been emailing them and now they moved the date to sometime in May ��

Old 04-30-2018, 12:38 PM

174 posts, read 187,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissieFu View Post
Great post! People are quick to say “be grateful” until they are in your shoes as I am! It is definitely ya hassle to be forced to take a cab to do laundry because you don’t own a car and the nearest laundromat is 10mins away walking through busy streets. I too am frustrated and if there was something more I could do trust me that I would. Just because one doesn’t agree with being discriminated against doesn’t mean that one isn’t grateful for the opportunity. I feel blessed, but just because I’m one of the lucky ones doesn’t mean I’m going to stay shut and act like nothing is happening because that’s exactly what they expect you to do. I have been emailing them and now they moved the date to sometime in May ��
I mean.. fight for the things you want..

But the idea that you're being "discriminated against" is ludicrous. Every single day, in every aspect of life, money spent is a discriminating factor. It's specifically designed to be. If you want more value, you hand over more money. If I spend $10,000 on a car, and it has less features than a $50,000 car, I don't get to cry about being "discriminated against". The less expensive car is SUPPOSED to have less stuff.

When you go to the grocery store and buy $20 worth of salmon, you don't get to cry that you got less than the person who spent $50 on it. That person gets more, because they spent more.

This seems like super basic life stuff here.. my parents taught me this when I was like 4...

Old 04-30-2018, 12:58 PM

24 posts, read 28,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TizOnly1 View Post
I mean.. fight for the things you want..

But the idea that you're being "discriminated against" is ludicrous. Every single day, in every aspect of life, money spent is a discriminating factor. It's specifically designed to be. If you want more value, you hand over more money. If I spend $10,000 on a car, and it has less features than a $50,000 car, I don't get to cry about being "discriminated against". The less expensive car is SUPPOSED to have less stuff.

When you go to the grocery store and buy $20 worth of salmon, you don't get to cry that you got less than the person who spent $50 on it. That person gets more, because they spent more.

This seems like super basic life stuff here.. my parents taught me this when I was like 4...
Discriminated against not because I don’t have a washer/dryer in my unit but because they are prolonging the issue and we know this wouldn’t happen with market rate tenants. Also you act like the developer doesn’t get a huge tax deduction for these low rate units. So it’s not like they aren’t being awarded something in return. Also, if you ACTUALLY did your research you would know that the apartments are supposed to be the same if not then VERY similar. This seems like something easy to comprehend....apparently not something you managed to learn.

Last edited by MissieFu; 04-30-2018 at 01:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: