Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2018, 06:37 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,263,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
And read the Breitbart comment sections, you'll see plenty of nasty comments about Latinos.

Now I'm not saying that Latinos are extremely oppressed in 2018, but a lot of whites do hold anti-Latino sentiment.

As for your friend, that sucks. I'm surprised because there are enough Latinos in every Bronx neighborhood (including Riverdale and Country Club) for them to not be token level.
There is a difference between discrimination, and having disagreement with the handling of illegal immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 06:40 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,614,146 times
Quote:
And read the Breitbart comment sections, you'll see plenty of nasty comments about Latinos.

Now I'm not saying that Latinos are extremely oppressed in 2018, but a lot of whites do hold anti-Latino sentiment.

As for your friend, that sucks. I'm surprised because there are enough Latinos in every Bronx neighborhood (including Riverdale and Country Club) for them to not be token level.
No thanks to Brietbart!

Yes it seems incredible that that would happen in NYC in the present day.

Another enrollment issue in the Bronx:
NYC principal: City must probe Education Dept. in bias scandal - NY Daily News

Old 05-06-2018, 06:41 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,407,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
There is a difference between discrimination, and having disagreement with the handling of illegal immigration.
I'm not even talking about that.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I agree, but most Hispanics in the US do not fall into that category.
Yes, that's true.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
No thanks to Brietbart!

Yes it seems incredible that that would happen in NYC in the present day.

Another enrollment issue in the Bronx:
NYC principal: City must probe Education Dept. in bias scandal - NY Daily News
Haha it was a rhetorical command, I wouldn't want you to read such vile, nasty comments. It shows that many white conservatives hold negative opinions about not just illegal immigration, but Latinos in general.

And yeah it's crazy to think this kind of thing still happens.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:49 PM

Double post

Old 05-06-2018, 06:50 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,263,382 times
Quote:
There is definitely discrimination against mestizo/indigenous Hispanic people in my opinion.

Probably less so for pure European ones, but they make up a small percentage of the Hispanic population in the US.
Please tell us how we are discriminated against? We we're allowed to come to this country, provide a better life than what was available to us in our native countries, yet we are discriminated against here, but not there.

12,743 posts, read 8,195,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
There is discrimination against black people in the U.S. (whether they be of African-American, African, Carribean, or Hispanic ancestry).

There may be discrimination against people with indigenous ancestry (i.e., some Mexicans, Central Americans, etc.).

But is there discrimination against Hispanic people without any black or indigenous ancestry/of European ancestry?
Sure there is. If there wasn't they would just be called "white" and not "white" Hispanics. Either they're white or they aren't right? The fact that they're put into a separate "white" category should say enough. In a way you can blame the one drop rule. Hispanics come in all colors, so that somehow dilutes the "whiteness" of those that are mainly or completely of European stock.

Quote:
There is definitely discrimination against mestizo/indigenous Hispanic people in my opinion.

Probably less so for pure European ones, but they make up a small percentage of the Hispanic population in the US.
To a white non-Hispanic person, even a white Hispanic isn't on their level. That's why when Spaniards come over here they don't necessarily boast about their "Europeaness" since they're smart enough to realize that here in the States they can and often times are lumped in with Latinos. They can yell about how they are not Puerto Rican or Dominican or Hispanic all they want. That flies in Europe, but not everywhere here. lol Let them go to some backward place here in the States. The minute they open their mouth with an accent or speak in Spanish, that's it. There are still some whites (and others) that don't believe that there are Hispanics that are essentially "white". Somehow that just can't be. I was speaking with this guy who is Canadian who was shocked when he found out that Christina Aguliera is from Argentina. He just assumed she was white and found it hard to believe that Hispanics could look like that due to his interactions with Hispanics here in NYC who are generally pretty mixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I have a friend (Dominican) who moved into a largely white neighborhood in the Bronx and took her kids to be enrolled in the school, and they didn't believe she lived there. They insisted on a home visit and then still delayed enrolling her kids.
What neighborhood was this and what school? I can only think of a few neighborhoods where such a thing could happen. Despite all of the tolerance that one would think of in the Bronx, neighborhoods overall are generally segregated. They're either black and brown or white, though this has been changing.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 05-06-2018 at 06:59 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Then if you were to see me on the street, don't pre judge me based off my features and skin tone. We are all the same.
I'll try...

People judge other people all the time though, even if they don't mean to, and not only on race, ethnicity or religion.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
What neighborhood was this and what school? I can only think of a few neighborhoods where such a thing could happen. Despite all of the tolerance that one would think of in the Bronx, neighborhoods overall are generally segregated. They're either black and brown or white, though this has been changing.
That's more true of The Bronx than Brooklyn or Queens, but then again The Bronx doesn't even have that many straight up white neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City