Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 10:36 AM

4 posts, read 14,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentnyc View Post
becareful what u wish for...that's what u get if go to all those section what mario mention and also like east ny..especially with a british accent.
Thanks for your concern, I am pretty street smart and know how to conduct myself on the streets, as I grew up in what you guys would call the PJ's and what we call the estates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 10:39 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
I dont think he meant E Tremont ave per say....the neighborhood along with West Farms and Morrisania have more of a wasteland feel to them. The above hoods have the highest concentration of vacant lots. Also if you were dropped without knowing where you were, in E Tremont, you can tell the difference between E Tremont and Tremont.

Way less dense.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:48 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Death Wish 145 : British guy in the Bronx

Starring: British Guy and back from the dead Charles Bronson.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:50 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
The rough thing about a lot of the PJ's in the UK and Europe in general is that they are really isolated. Even moreso than here.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:59 AM

4 posts, read 14,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
The rough thing about a lot of the PJ's in the UK and Europe in general is that they are really isolated. Even moreso than here.
Thats a bit of a generalisation, a lot of inner city pj's here are not isolated at all. The problems with the projects here are that they are full of floating communities, my old pj's are now full of drug addicts and immigrants, this is the problem, theses people are only housed temporarily, so no community ever arises. The UK on a whole is a dump, nothing but a whole lot of ill feeling and social unrest, sadly we here live in an increasingly violent society that doesnt punish criminals properly, we are the laughing stock of Europe and a safe haven for criminals all over the world due to our non-existant policy on immigration and laughably lax criminal judicial system.

Last edited by saidtomyself; 03-27-2008 at 11:27 AM..

Old 04-08-2008, 08:51 AM

396 posts, read 1,008,039 times
Well, you are more than welcome to come join me in the Bronx!

Old 04-08-2008, 09:51 AM

139 posts, read 923,791 times
eastchester,wakefield,edenwald,olinville(gun hill projects area).. all are areas that are 95% black/spanish in the bronx un-gentrified

Old 04-08-2008, 12:01 PM

257 posts, read 1,335,015 times
Wow I just googled Charlotte Street to see what it was like and am now thinking WTF is that? How was such a blatant low density suburban subdivision ever allowed to be built in the middle of the Bronx. Talk about out of place!

Old 04-08-2008, 12:23 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times
Yeah it is totally out of place...but it was a reaction to the extreme urban blight that occured. It was a vision of what the Bronx could be like..and that in fact it was possible to have an "idyllic" Bronx...it was more of an example of hope than of future urban planning BUT the city did choose the path of low density renewal plans....and that has only recently been reversed in the Bronx.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:14 PM

35 posts, read 182,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-d0g_Bronx View Post
eastchester,wakefield,edenwald,olinville(gun hill projects area).. all are areas that are 95% black/spanish in the bronx un-gentrified
True, they're un-gentrified, but in Eastchester and Wakefield lots of stand alone houses and gruff West Indians (at least in Wakefield). I think he wants to see urban blight...No offense, but what is the appeal of staring at 'poor people'? Are you going to take pics or try to bring attention to their daily plight? If not, what exactly is the point? I feel it's a bit condescending when foreigners come over and romanticize American poverty and violence...I feel the same way about Americans going abroad and snapping "Save the Children" pics, i.e. unkept children in Caribbean ghettoes, and displaying it in their shutterfly albums for their friends to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City