Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 11:13 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times

Advertisements

Yeah, it's one of those deals where if you do it right and like 99% of the time noting goes wrong there's no problem, but if you screw up the gas line you are in for a world of hurt. Best course of action would be to swap out the heater yourself then pay a plumber for 15 minutes of his time (and liability insurance) to make the final gas connection
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 11:19 AM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Yeah, it's one of those deals where if you do it right and like 99% of the time noting goes wrong there's no problem, but if you screw up the gas line you are in for a world of hurt. Best course of action would be to swap out the heater yourself then pay a plumber for 15 minutes of his time (and liability insurance) to make the final gas connection

By code *all* work done or on gas lines including connecting/removing appliances must be done by a licensed plumber in New York. That being said before buildings began going *kaboom* (East Harlem, LES, etc...) recently am sure many supers and others simply did installs of things like stoves, dryers, and whatever themselves.

One of our neighbors had their kitchen redone and a new stove was ordered. Originally building got the super to do the install; but tenants balked. First because the guy's experience with "handyman work" basically extended to the butter knife as a tool category. Then once they saw how things were going to go down they didn't want to risk being either gassed to death or blown up. So they told management office to get a licensed plumber (as required by law) or else....

Old 05-02-2018, 12:48 PM

278 posts, read 252,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakamonogatari View Post
First time homeowner in SI here. My hot water heater is over 12 years old and I'm considering replacing it before becomes a catastrophe. My question is regarding permits, etc... I know I can go to Home Depot or Lowes and carry home a brand new hot water heater, and I have no doubt about my ability to perform the work (looks dead simple actually), but am I actually allowed to? From what I've read the city allows repair to existing installations without a permit but new installations (adding a bathroom etc..) requires a permit. I know if I call a plumber to have this done I'm looking at easily double the cost and I'm a cheap bastard. Would replacing a hot water heater fall under the existing installation loophole?
You should have a licensed plumber do the work! Shop around for different price quotes, you don't want to mess with gas! Permits are not required if you replace an already existing item! You are correct, your water heater is past it's prime! 10 years is the usual, recommended average!

Most 40 gallon Wh's with installation, go for around $1800.00. I shopped around and got a plumber, to do it for $900.00.

Old 05-02-2018, 12:54 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinaProf View Post
I shopped around and got a plumber, to do it for $900.00.
annnnnnnnnd that's why people do it themselves. I would do it myself too

Old 05-02-2018, 12:56 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakamonogatari View Post
First time homeowner in SI here. My hot water heater is over 12 years old<>
Just the fact that you keep calling it a "HOT WATER HEATER" suggests to me you are not up to the task.
Actually, I am one of the few people that has a "hot water heater." It is in my motorhome. As we drive along the engine coolant circulates through a coil in the house side water system and heats water so we have hot water on the road and when we arrive at the campground we connect to the electric supply. At that time the electric coil in my "hot water heater" kicks in and keeps the hot water hot.
All seriousness aside, here is good water heater advice:
Smelly water heater solutions | Hot water heater anodes

Old 05-02-2018, 12:58 PM

278 posts, read 252,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
annnnnnnnnd that's why people do it themselves. I would do it myself too
Yeah, but if you don't know what you're doing, it can be dangerous! Better safe than sorry!
FWIW, the gas Company charges $1800.00 as well. They all offer 10 year waranty's, so at least you're good for 10 years!

Old 05-03-2018, 07:51 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
I guess it goes without saying that ignoramuses should not touch gas, plumbing, or electricity. With a couple smarts, you can do these simple tasks...but keep it t yourself.

I disconnect my gas stove once a year to pull it out and clean and scrub the disgusting mess that accumulates under it and put down a new layer of boric acid: cannot be too careful. I turn off the valve first.

Last edited by Kefir King; 05-03-2018 at 08:19 AM..

Old 05-03-2018, 11:34 AM

4,194 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Ten years ago a house exploded in my neighborhood due to a gas leak. It sounded like a bomb and I'm seven blocks away. If you have to ask if you can replace it yourself you probably don't have the skills to do it.

Old 05-03-2018, 12:25 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,838 times
Just be sure you get the venting correct. Google "backdrafting".

Old 05-04-2018, 11:16 AM

65 posts, read 36,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You are new to SI so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

But let me tell you how things roll on "the Rock". You see all those decks in people's back yards? Want to take a wild guess how many are "legal"?

Unless you tell the city or National Grid no one is going to know you replaced the water heater. Only issues that *may* arise is if something happens and or perhaps at resale if a potential buyer really digs deep to make sure everything is legit.
I'm actually not new to SI. I grew up here. Just my first time owning a house. I understand how things are done here, I just wanted to know if it comes back to bite anyone in the ass doing things "below board".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Just the fact that you keep calling it a "HOT WATER HEATER" suggests to me you are not up to the task.
Actually, I am one of the few people that has a "hot water heater." It is in my motorhome. As we drive along the engine coolant circulates through a coil in the house side water system and heats water so we have hot water on the road and when we arrive at the campground we connect to the electric supply. At that time the electric coil in my "hot water heater" kicks in and keeps the hot water hot.
All seriousness aside, here is good water heater advice:
Smelly water heater solutions | Hot water heater anodes
I'm more than up to the task. I've been an auto mechanic for over 15 years. I know plumbing isn't the same thing but believe me it uses the same parts of the brain. I know which end of a wrench to hold. Who gives a **** what I call it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Ten years ago a house exploded in my neighborhood due to a gas leak. It sounded like a bomb and I'm seven blocks away. If you have to ask if you can replace it yourself you probably don't have the skills to do it.
I wasn't asking if I have the skills to do it, I was asking if I'm allowed to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: