Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 08:58 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that the term "section" is only used when talking about neighborhoods in the Bronx. I can't recall ever hearing it for neighborhoods in other boroughs. What's the reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 09:31 AM

965 posts, read 1,113,919 times
Could you use this in a sentence?

Or are you referencing how one may say the Parkchester or Soundview "sections" of the Bronx? Versus straight up Midtown or Park Slope (no section.)

And how come it is sometimes just Bronx and sometimes "the" Bronx. I'm gonna start saying the Brooklyn.

I swear, Bronx, New York is an anomaly.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:41 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,884,218 times
they use the word in other boros of neighborhoods outside of the Bronx

Old 05-02-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post

Or are you referencing how one may say the Parkchester or Soundview "sections" of the Bronx? Versus straight up Midtown or Park Slope (no section.)

And how come it is sometimes just Bronx and sometimes "the" Bronx. I'm gonna start saying the Brooklyn.

he means

The Mount Hope section of the Bronx

they particularly do this on newscasts

Old 05-02-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post

Right... On the news they'll say reporting from the Morrisania section of the Bronx... Versus... Reporting from the Upper West Side...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
they use the word in other boros of neighborhoods outside of the Bronx
I can't recall hearing it and I've lived in just about every borough. It definitely isn't used for Manhattan.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Right... On the news they'll say reporting from the Morrisania section of the Bronx... Versus... Reporting from the Upper West Side...

I can't recall hearing it and I've lived in just about every borough. It definitely isn't used for Manhattan.
Yeah I’ve heard it. They’ll say the Hamilton heights section or the morningside heights section

Old 05-02-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Yeah I’ve heard it. They’ll say the Hamilton heights section or the morningside heights section
I suppose so but only for certain areas of Upper Manhattan. I've never heard reporting from the Battery Park City section for example... But for the few areas they do use "section" they don't say Manhattan afterwards. Just Morningside Heights section.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:56 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
I've noticed that the term "section" is only used when talking about neighborhoods in the Bronx. I can't recall ever hearing it for neighborhoods in other boroughs. What's the reason?
Must be because a lot of the local newscasters these days are transplants from another (ha, ha) "section" of the country. Generally, anyone who grew up in a Northeast city would reference a neighborhood, not a section.
Also most of the newscasters these days have absolutely no clue about NYC geography or neighborhoods or neighborhood boundaries. Nothing more sickening than watching a news piece and knowing exactly what block or corner it happened at and hearing the newscaster say it happened in some other neighborhood miles away. They are worse than cab drivers with lack of knowledge of the city and should be forced to pass a NYC geography and neighborhood boundary test before being hired for a NY news reporting job. It's like listening to news reported by occupiers.... and I'm a transplant myself... but at least I know the city like the back of my hand.

It's particularly bad on News12 and News1.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Must be because a lot of the local newscasters these days are transplants from another (ha, ha) "section" of the country. Generally ,anyone who grew up in a Northeast city would reference a neighborhood, not a section.
Also most of the newscasters these days have absolutely no clue about NYC geography or neighborhoods or neighborhood boundaries. Nothing more sickening than watching a news piece and knowing exactly what block or corner it happened at and hearing the newscaster say it happened in some other neighborhood miles away.
This is true... This morning I heard Marine Park and Sheepshead Bay in the same sentence... Not one and the same.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:08 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
This is true... This morning I heard Marine Park and Sheepshead Bay in the same sentence... Not one and the same.
Imagine if you lived in Morris Park and hear about a gruesome murder that just happened in your neighborhood but actually it happened in Morris Heights ! Have heard that one more than once !

Sometimes I think they broadcast NEWS12 out of a studio in Atlanta or someplace like that and some of the newscasters have never set foot in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City