Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 10:29 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

Here is an article with sources on this as a general concept on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Needle_exchange_programme

I've read up on these in the past and the general research has this greatly reducing the overall cost to society especially in the spread of disease which at some point usually needs to get treated. The problems generally arise if these places are not strictly regulated and kept under watch, but instead become a no man's land kind of facility where sellers are also allowed to congregate. These are only effective if sellers are kept out and there is an adequate outreach program to try to get users to rehabilitate. Now, will this administration actually plan and execute this properly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 11:34 PM

3,130 posts, read 2,722,900 times
Proper execution is definitely important. But these centers save lives and work to bring people into systems of care. And they save money, too; you don't have to have the paramedics come running out every time somebody ODs in a McDonald's bathroom. They reduce the spread of illness (that has to get treated somehow). And they cut down on discarded sharps in the street, which I think we can all agree is desirable.

Old-fashioned opioids are CHEAP, btw. I would FAR RATHER have some addict taking his $10 of generic oxycodone a month and leading his sad harmless little life that he can afford than out there robbing people to pay for heroin--and then taking some bad stuff and ending up again with the paramedics and possibly the senseless death. But we won't go for that because "addiction bad!!!", as if addicts won't get their fix anyway.

Addicts aren't going away. The only question is how much unnecessary harm we want to cause before we bring ourselves to admit that.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:47 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,195,513 times
A lot of the posters are ignorant about heroin and about this proposal. OP especially. OP posted “needle sharing” clinics LOL. No actuallt the point of this would be to prevent needle sharing and the spread of HIV and Hep C by providing for clean needles. This proposal makes sense because if we can heroin users to use in these clinics, there will be social services there that can engage them about treatment. There can be medical staff that prevent overdose. Heroin brought in by user and this will encourage users not to use when they find out there heroin has all kinds of crap in it. They’ll think about taking up the offers to go to methadone clinic after receiving educations.

My point is that this is an evidenced based practice for reducing heroin use and containing the spread of HIV

Old 05-05-2018, 01:33 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
The difference is those things are used to DETER such things from continuing to REHABILITATE people. This just encourages it.
No one is DETERRED from doing those things by the POLICE.

First of all, the police are only a problem if they catch you. Party indoors, and there is absolutely nothing the cops can do because they cannot search homes without warrants, and you don't just get warrants. Investigations are expensive, and even if some dealer is busted it doesn't necessarily mean a judge will convict.

I'll openly admit to partying, and we never had problems with the people and that includes my Ivy League peers.

Now if you smoke weed or whatever outside, you might get busted by the cops by those are homeless or other low income people. I've lived in buildings where people just smoked weed or whatever other thing in the hallway or whatever place away from cameras.

Essentially governments around the world and in the US have admitted that they lost the war on drugs and cannot win.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
A lot of the posters are ignorant about heroin and about this proposal. OP especially. OP posted “needle sharing” clinics LOL. No actuallt the point of this would be to prevent needle sharing and the spread of HIV and Hep C by providing for clean needles. This proposal makes sense because if we can heroin users to use in these clinics, there will be social services there that can engage them about treatment. There can be medical staff that prevent overdose. Heroin brought in by user and this will encourage users not to use when they find out there heroin has all kinds of crap in it. They’ll think about taking up the offers to go to methadone clinic after receiving educations.

My point is that this is an evidenced based practice for reducing heroin use and containing the spread of HIV
The point of this would also be to curb crime as addicts would be able to get treatment instead of being criminalized. What some posters are not understanding is laws against drugs do not stop people from using them at all, and all criminalization does is give people records, meaning the government has to spend lots of money on the criminal justice system, even after they are released (parole, halfway house, various welfare programs former inmates go on).

NYC isn't doing this too liberal, it simply cost the city way too much money to criminalize drugs. Oh, and with Cynthia Nixon in the race Cuomo is now saying he will legalize weed.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:16 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
This is sick. Society is sick, there's a disease running rampant throughout modern thought. Leftism is a common name. Liberalism is often used, but there are good aspects to liberalism. Most times, an OD is the equivalent of society popping a pimple. What's next? Give them the heroin for free so they don't break into our cars to fund their habit?

I prefer to call myself a "democratic Communist"<the small "d" is important> rather than mamby pamby terms like leftist or liberal.

The parallel is conservative/rightists calling themselves what they really are: "neo-Nazis." And leaving out the "neo" isn't much of a stretch.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:38 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Is "needle sharing" the right phrase to use in this context, especially since common wisdom states "NEVER share needles?"

Old 05-05-2018, 11:22 AM

19,026 posts, read 13,932,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I prefer to call myself a "democratic Communist"<the small "d" is important> rather than mamby pamby terms like leftist or liberal.

The parallel is conservative/rightists calling themselves what they really are: "neo-Nazis." And leaving out the "neo" isn't much of a stretch.
We need a war so one of us can at least. I’m fairly confident of my sides odds.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-05-2018, 11:26 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,884,227 times
Will they get heroin for free at these centers? Because the addicts should.

Old 05-05-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
We need a war so one of us can at least. I’m fairly confident of my sides odds.
Real civil wars can decades at best for a country to cover, or perhaps not at all.

A civil war here could lead the nation to break up into multiple countries and in that case it would be the end of the current "America".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City