Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2018, 08:47 AM

99 posts, read 166,847 times

Advertisements

... I know, I know. Not another one. But, if you'd care to share your opinions I'd love to get recommendations on:
  • Favorite restaurants in Chelsea (or a short Uber away) -- including any late night options
  • Favorite spots in the Chelsea Market
  • Favorite Indian or Pakistani restaurants anywhere in Manhattan and/or Queens
  • Best ramen spot (Ippudo, Momofuku... somewhere else?)
  • Favorite spots in the theatre district for pre or post-theatre dinner?
  • Favorite lesser-appreciated "ethnic" cuisine spots (you know, something less common than the usual Italian, French, Indian, Thai, Chinese, Korean)
  • Your favorite special-night-out, worth-splurging-on spot you'd take your out of town friends out to for a memorable meal -- anywhere in Manhattan (keep it under $100/person).

I posted this question on another messageboard, so sorry if you've read this twice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 10:20 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
  • Favorite restaurants in Chelsea (or a short Uber away) -- including any late night options
No idea, I don't remember the last time I was in Chelsea despite working in Midtown and living in both SoHo and Lower East Side for so many years.

• Favorite spots in the Chelsea Market
Ditto, always seemed overly expensive. I have been there once in my lifetime.

• Favorite Indian or Pakistani restaurants anywhere in Manhattan and/or Queens
There are amazing Indian restaurants in Jackson Heights, but I can't suggest any particular one as I hop around a lot. In Manhattan, I've been looking. There's one on Essex St I've been meaning to try. There's also a really good one in Hudson Heights near 187th and Fort Washington, but you probably don't want to travel that far. Pakistani, there was a deli in SoHo off of Crosby St near Houston I used to go to that was amazing, but I haven't been over there in years.

• Best ramen spot (Ippudo, Momofuku... somewhere else?)
Shinya Shokudo is the best ramen I've ever had in my life. 52nd st from 12:30a - 4:30a only. Better than anything I've ever had in Japan and I've gone 4 times in the last two years. He actually makes his ramen spicy, true ramen is bland (still rich in flavor) unless you go to Hokkaido. He knows his ***** haha, and is from Hokkaido.

• Favorite spots in the theatre district for pre or post-theatre dinner?
Lan Shang, Cafe China, **** and Bull, and sometimes Bar Bacon and Russian Vodka House (I think it's called). I work just south of the Theatre District and these places I like. **** and Bull might be a bit bland, but I thoroughly enjoy it.

• Favorite lesser-appreciated "ethnic" cuisine spots (you know, something less common than the usual Italian, French, Indian, Thai, Chinese, Korean)
Cafe Himalaya. Himalayan and Malaysian food in general is really good. There's a Malaysian food place in Chinatown that's really good, but I forget its name.

• Your favorite special-night-out, worth-splurging-on spot you'd take your out of town friends out to for a memorable meal -- anywhere in Manhattan (keep it under $100/person).
Wolfgangs Steakhouse

Old 05-11-2018, 07:11 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Chelsea?
I used to love EAST OF EIGTH but they closed.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:15 AM

543 posts, read 1,741,147 times
Jackson Diner in Jackson Heights for Indian. Best time is before 4PM to take advantage of variety of dishes at the buffet. The Lobster Place at the Chelsea Market. Aladdin Bangladeshi restaurant in Astoria, Queens. Favored by lots of taxi drivers. Temporarily closed until mid-June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City