Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 07:05 PM

8,915 posts, read 4,709,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
i think she was a complete nut job.
She lived in a complete pig stuy, like a complete pig.
The pictures shown were that of a dirty apartment.

She lived by candlelight, so no electricity either.
id be afraid with all the crap she had in her filthy apartment that she would be considered a fire hazzard.

still say, the was a complete nut job.
lol. blunt but kinda with you on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 07:39 PM

31,682 posts, read 26,579,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
lol. blunt but kinda with you on this one.

Well then both of you need to hold your horses.

First and foremost no one is taking into account a previous landlord tried to burn the building down and force tenants out. Everyone did leave except Ms. O'Grady. So can see why she'd be leery of any landlord after that event.

Two the woman was nearly 100 years old; just how much housekeeping do you think she was up to doing? That and (sadly) people get set in their ways refusing to allow people to "touch their stuff".

See a small fridge (on table) so the woman did have electricity one supposes. She just didn't want the gas light replaced for again her own stubborn reasons. Nothing "nuts" about that IMHO. The woman was born and grew up in an entirely different era, along with being from "the farm" out in Oklahoma somewhere.

That building went up in 1900, so was only about fifty years old when Ms. O'Grady and her pals moved in; the EL was probably still up and running along Sixth Avenue then IIRC.

Landlord goes on about all his offers to install mod cons; what he didn't tell was if those improvements were being done out of the kindness of his heart, or would he apply for rent increases to recoup the outlay.

Rent controlled apartments per se do not often have leases; however prevailing law is that RS and RC controlled tenants are only entitled to have appliances and services that existed at time original lease was signed/at time the moved in; adding heating and everything else would have entailed a fair amount of expense.

Again none of us know how much Ms. O'Grady had to live upon each month. Lord knows acting didn't pay well back in her day; especially if one didn't have regular gigs. The other jobs open to women in 1940's through 1970's or so (prime working age of the deceased) didn't pay well either. That is assuming she even took regular jobs; which many actors don't because they want to be free to hone their craft and or take a role if they land one.

So we could be taking about a very meager SS check, some savings and whatever else was cobbled together.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:03 PM

18,372 posts, read 31,484,458 times
^ and I appreciate them.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:15 PM

8,915 posts, read 4,709,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
No thats how New York is.

He always shoots straight arrow.

I'ma go give Reps.
I would've too but it won't let me.
That was my very first thought when reading the article.
It was like he was reading my mind. lol.

Last edited by Aeran; 05-11-2018 at 08:33 PM..

Old 05-12-2018, 01:38 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,195,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Check out this series on EV Grieve if you like that sort of thing:

EV Grieve: I Am a Rent-Stabilized Tenant
Thanks gave you reps

Old 05-12-2018, 02:43 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,851,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
^ and I appreciate them.
People like her, who won't let the landlord make repairs are dangerous to the building and possibly a block. Suppose needed repairs aren't made and there's a fire or collapse? It's not fair to others to let this happen.

People who have children and/or spouses or other relatives they are close to, when a loved one's mental state does down will often have them put in a nursing home.

She was single, couldn't and didn't happen here.

With that being sad I'm not happy to see anyone get run over be a car and I am opening no one connected to the landlord ran her over.

She probably wasn't going to leave for any amount of money, and let's just say there's a good chance that happened.

Old 05-12-2018, 02:44 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,851,694 times
This woman should have gotten a real job when she was younger. It does not make sense to live like that or to try to hold up a building just so you can get cheap rent.

As for why this was reported SeventhFloor, easy. In very expensive NY, rent controlled units these days are rare and are rapidly disappearing as the elderly who occupy them die off.

Old 05-12-2018, 05:15 AM

25,347 posts, read 36,896,038 times
Don't know if the system was "rigged" or whatever against the deceased.

A system that allows/causes rents for a studio apartment to shoot from $28 to $2800 in half a lifetime is very much a "rigged system." The kindest thing one might call such a system is "out of control."

We are only getting half the story here. Rent control increases can be 7% per year and ramp up rents pretty fast. Courts occasionally mandate NO RENT INCREASES for the most egregious criminal slumlords. The only way to get the real story died in the street under a car.
The history of this apartment would have been fascinating...but you will not get it from the current owner.

I know two people paying preposterously low rent because the landlord has been forbidden to raise the rent for decades. One is on a fashionable West Village Street, a large one bedroom on Washington Place, the other is East 37th Street.

Last edited by Kefir King; 05-12-2018 at 05:28 AM..

Old 05-12-2018, 07:50 AM

31,682 posts, read 26,579,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Don't know if the system was "rigged" or whatever against the deceased.

A system that allows/causes rents for a studio apartment to shoot from $28 to $2800 in half a lifetime is very much a "rigged system." The kindest thing one might call such a system is "out of control."

We are only getting half the story here. Rent control increases can be 7% per year and ramp up rents pretty fast. Courts occasionally mandate NO RENT INCREASES for the most egregious criminal slumlords. The only way to get the real story died in the street under a car.
The history of this apartment would have been fascinating...but you will not get it from the current owner.

I know two people paying preposterously low rent because the landlord has been forbidden to raise the rent for decades. One is on a fashionable West Village Street, a large one bedroom on Washington Place, the other is East 37th Street.

Did it ever occur to any of you that the LL had no interest in trying to get the late Mrs. O'Grady's rent way above current level? The woman was already quite elderly when he bought the buildings and by all accounts didn't give the man any trouble. She kept to herself/went about her business and paid her rent on time.

Where do you get $2800? In any event whatever the number it is because that RC apartment will now go either market rate or RS. If the latter the LL will be entitled not only to the vacancy increase, but there is also (IIRC) percentage points for "long term tenants"; that is apartments that have not seen a vacancy in 20 or whatever years. On top of all this there will be the (considerable) costs in renovating that place to bring it up to 2018 standards.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:38 AM

25,347 posts, read 36,896,038 times
Real Job?
Tell that to Julia Roberts. Actors who make it are paid IMPERIAL wages.

Quote:
Where do you get $2800?

Have you priced studios at 10th and Bleeker lately?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City