Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 10:13 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Well tell me this... Do you often talk s*** about customers when you speak in Spanish? I'm just keeping it real as someone who speaks several languages. There's really no reason to speak another language unless the person you're speaking with doesn't understand what you're saying or you switch back and forth into your native language in general, OR you're switching because you either don't want people to know what you're saying or you're talking about them. I know because I've done it myself. I was once out on a date, and I had a couple that was eating next to us, and we'd switch to Spanish so that we could take about private things that we didn't want them to know about.
First of all I don't work in retail or I'm around customers. We all speak English at the office and English for work related issues and I will switch with our Latin American counterparts only if they start to speak Spanish first since Spanish is their first language, technically its my second so I try to brush on it for practice. No that's what I mean if people around me feel like they are so mighty and important that they feel intimidated all of a sudden? So no I mostly switch for practice and no I try not to talk or gossip about other people in any language. If anything people will gossip or talk about other people in English in plain sight, I hear them all the time, so no need to do it in Spanish, lol. If the topic is personal to me or that person than yes it will be in Spanish definitely (like looking for another job).

Last edited by Ruready4Bklyn; 05-17-2018 at 10:21 AM..

Old 05-17-2018, 10:16 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
I was at Wendy's and the staff started to converse I believe it was Arabic amongst each other. Had nothing to do with the customers as we were just waiting for our orders (we had already placed our orders in English (lol). An AA said something like "speak English". I was like wow, let me just keep my mouth shut, because if anyone were to say that to me..., if I were to speak Spanish, which I have at restaurants or retail spaces, at work, I may speak Spanish to a co-worker or even the cleaning staff at work we may strike up a conversation... Nobody telling me to speak English just because you are not bilingual or feel intimidated/or uncomfortable, like mind your f...ing business.
Wow.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:31 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Joy ried made commentary about gays that seen offensive. Liberals sjw crowd wanted her fired from NBC. She lied saying it was the Russians, but she took ownership and blamed it growing up in black church culture. This political correctness stuff has gone a bit too far in my honest opinion.
We live in a very negative environment. Not sure why. Negative energy only brings more negative energy. I stay far away from negative people, negative media and negative thoughts.

Some people feel like they have to be negative or controversial to get the likes, stir the pot, bring attention to themselves, etc.

Sometimes you have to move on since at the end of the day it's not like you are going to pay the bills, put food on the table, provide shelter or clean them if they get sick.

Changing human behavior is extremely time consuming. You need a very strong stimuli to encourage change.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:33 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
First of all I don't work in retail or I'm around customers. We all speak English at the office and English for work related issues and I will switch with our Latin American counterparts only if they start to speak Spanish first since Spanish is their first language, technically its my second so I try to brush on it for practice. No that's what I mean if people around me feel like they are so mighty and important that they feel intimidated all of a sudden? So no I mostly switch for practice and no I try not to talk or gossip about other people in any language. If anything people will gossip or talk about other people in English in plain sight, I hear them all the time, so no need to do it in Spanish, lol. If the topic is personal to me or that person than yes it will be in Spanish definitely (like looking for another job).
Yeah some people don't care so they'll talk bluntly about other people in English, but in some cases, YES people switch to Spanish because they want to talk about people without them knowing (I see it on the subway all of the time - they'll be a conversation of English and Spanish, and the parts that they don't want people to hear they'll say in Spanish), so you really can't act like people are "high and mighty" or that they shouldn't feel intimidated when people switch to another language given what you just said.

People love talking **** about people. That's just the honest truth. As I said, I always act stupid and pretend that I only speak English purposely so that when people are talking about me, I can check their @ss, and then when I do they don't say squat because they've been busted.

I once was out in Queens, and these two Mexican guys were talking about me in Spanish about how it was hot outside as a back handed remark at me because I had taken my coat off because I was sweating. I told them that I knew exactly what they said and they should mind their f-ing business. They were much shorter than me so I would've handled both of them. They couldn't say squat after that.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:59 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post
Stupid is the correct adjective for that piece of work.

How can "undocumented" people even qualify for the Welfare that he is "paying for?"

I've been shouting "S T F U" at the screen one too many times today.
Believe me undocumented can apply and receive public assistance. I don’t that’s right at all.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:04 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,911 times
Quote:
Yeah some people don't care so they'll talk bluntly about other people in English, but in some cases, YES people switch to Spanish because they want to talk about people without them knowing (I see it on the subway all of the time - they'll be a conversation of English and Spanish, and the parts that they don't want people to hear they'll say in Spanish), so you really can't act like people are "high and mighty" or that they shouldn't feel intimidated when people switch to another language given what you just said.

People love talking **** about people. That's just the honest truth. As I said, I always act stupid and pretend that I only speak English purposely so that when people are talking about me, I can check their @ss, and then when I do they don't say squat because they've been busted.

I once was out in Queens, and these two Mexican guys were talking about me in Spanish about how it was hot outside as a back handed remark at me because I had taken my coat off because I was sweating. I told them that I knew exactly what they said and they should mind their f-ing business. They were much shorter than me so I would've handled both of them. They couldn't say squat after that.
Oh yeah people talk smack all the time especially if they are bilingual, that's just not me. There have been those rare occasions when people talking about me didn't realize I also spoke Spanish. But I have had people get really offended if I didn't speak to them in Spanish, like hey I just want to order my drink or food in English and not switch okkk. Just in that particular case the Wendy's staff was obviously engrossed in there conversation and they were definitely not looking or talking about anybody there, the guy just felt like being an a**le and didn't want them to speak in a different language, he was one of those you're in America so speak English types, oooh woosa...

Old 05-17-2018, 11:28 AM

220 posts, read 196,159 times
Quote:
Well tell me this... Do you often talk s*** about customers when you speak in Spanish? I'm just keeping it real as someone who speaks several languages. There's really no reason to speak another language unless the person you're speaking with doesn't understand what you're saying or you switch back and forth into your native language in general, OR you're switching because you either don't want people to know what you're saying or you're talking about them. I know because I've done it myself. I was once out on a date, and I had a couple that was eating next to us, and we'd switch to Spanish so that we could talk about private things that we didn't want them to know about.

I remember years ago I was on the train with one of my Italian friends (we're both basically Italian-American, though I'm mixed Sicilian and his family is from Naples) and we were talking in Italian as we normally do, and people were looking at us on the train because they obviously were nosy and wanted to know what we were saying, so we continued our conversation in Italian because we didn't want them in our business.
People are under no obligation to speak English in public. They can speak whatever language they wish even if you deem it rude. Its not your business anyways so stay out of it.

Also, if you as a customer hear a staff member talk **** about you in another language "shrug" and move on. If you understood what they said then you are free to curtly reply back in the language with a "witty comeback" if you so choose. You can even ask to speak to a manager so the staff member can be reprimanded.

Other than that there's really no need to police other people's interactions. People can be rude in plain ol English just as well. Even rude in body language too.

Live and Let Live! We all die in the end!

Old 05-17-2018, 11:31 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Being illegal is the new get out of jail card. Free food, free housing, and steal some stuff or harass some women in public. It's ok, being illegal means arrest records don't really apply when you can go with fake aliases and the state level legal system have no way to hold an illegal in sanctuary cities that protects illegals from any form of extensive prosecution.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:37 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Being illegal is the new get out of jail card. Free food, free housing, and steal some stuff or harass some women in public. It's ok, being illegal means arrest records don't really apply when you can go with fake aliases and the state level legal system have no way to hold an illegal in sanctuary cities that protects illegals from any form of extensive prosecution.
Oh yea dude, it's totally in vogue. I heard millions of people in the US are tearing up greencards, not reapplying for visas and other status, or plain ol' renouncing their US citizenship to get on that illegal gravy train. This isn't sarcasm, you and I are totally rational because we are two cool dudes.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:42 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
Believe me undocumented can apply and receive public assistance. I don’t that’s right at all.
No, they cannot. You need Soc Sec for PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City