Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 10:28 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,614 times

Advertisements

I installed my own air conditioners....is this really something people don't do themselves? The smaller of the two, I installed while I was on the phone without putting phone down, was done in about 3 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 10:32 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
I installed my own air conditioners....is this really something people don't do themselves? The smaller of the two, I installed while I was on the phone without putting phone down, was done in about 3 minutes.
I can put an a/c in the window but unfortunately I'm not handy enough to install the brackets, which is what is required by my building due to liability insurance issues. I'm surprised you could install the brackets in 3 minutes. The guy I hired did it quickly (in my opinion) but even he took about 15 minutes and needed his toolbox.

Or are you just talking about opening the window and putting the a/c on the ledge?

There are certain things in my life, now that I can more easily afford to pay for them, I willingly hire someone else to do. A/C brackets is definitely one of them.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:38 AM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's without brackets

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-24-2018, 10:48 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,884,494 times
I found someone to do it.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:27 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,614 times
My units are small enough that they don't need brackets. If I did need brackets, I would have done that myself as well, I was raised to be handy and it makes life a lot easier.

Are the brackets something that can be left in the window from year to year?

Old 05-24-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
My units are small enough that they don't need brackets. If I did need brackets, I would have done that myself as well, I was raised to be handy and it makes life a lot easier.

Are the brackets something that can be left in the window from year to year?
We didn't have a choice. We are required by our coop to have bracket for units of all sizes. The rule a few years ago was that a/c's 10,000 btus and higher needed them, and the new rule is that all ac's, no matter what size, have to have them. I think it's the insurance carrier's rule.

I think the rule makes sense. It doesn't matter whether the unit is 6000 or 10000 btus if it's dropping on someone's head. A falling a/c will definitely maim or kill someone if it falls on them.

I wish my parents had been handy and raised me to be handy. I tried a few times to take classes in woodworking and things like that but I just don't have the knack for it. So for me it's always better to hire someone in a situation like this. And yes, once the brackets are installed, they can be left up.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:48 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
While I've installed multiple, I much rather a pro do it especially in NYC. You don't wanna have an AC drop out of the window.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:02 AM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
While I've installed multiple, I much rather a pro do it especially in NYC. You don't wanna have an AC drop out of the window.
Yeah I don't want that responsibility

Sometimes its best to let a professional handle certain things

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-25-2018, 07:41 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
My uncle bought me one without installation last year. I pleaded with him to take it back to the store for the refund. He refused. today i ask landlord does he have someone who installs air conditioners? he said no.

i love my uncle, but who buys that with no istallation???

jayden,

That's why god invented boyfriends. (and Home Depot.)

Old 11-13-2019, 02:43 PM

Sad story in Toronto -- https://nypost.com/2019/11/13/toddle...ow-in-toronto/

This is why we have laws on a/c brackets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City