Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 03:33 AM

106,561 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

yes , they require a document stating who will be responsible for disposing of the firearms legally . you don't inherit them , you are just responsible for taking control of them and doing what has to be done with them .

State Penal Law 265.20(f) states that if a permit holder dies, the estate has 15 days to dispose of the weapons. If not, the weapons must be surrendered to "an appropriate official" such as local police, or "the superintendent of state police."

HOWEVER, that paragraph also states that such official must hold that weapon in trust for an appropriately licensed recipient. Meaning that for one year, the police are merely holding on to the weapon until it can be RETURNED to the decedent's heirs, who must be licensed as the original owner was. This law only applies to hand guns.

the 15 day period is going to be the only window you have before being charged with illegal possession as well as you can only turn it in to nypd for confiscation . you cannot even sell it as you can't sell an illegal gun to a ffl dealer .

if your permit expires the same rule applies. you cannot sell your guns and nypd confiscates them .

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-20-2018 at 03:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 03:49 AM

for those who are renewing i want to mention this : the cover letter says you need 2 passport style photo's .

unlike previously on the hard copy of the application it does not state the special size in the letter which was 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 .

well a standard size passport photo is 2x2 .

once you actually get to the end of the on line application they now say passport syle photo's 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 .

kind of stupid to tell you after you likely had the photo's done before starting the process .

anyway i brought this to their attention and they said they will accept the 2x2 since they can shrink them now but they prefer it done correctly . so i told them then fix the cover letter .

Old 05-20-2018, 10:11 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
yes , they require a document stating who will be responsible for disposing of the firearms legally . you don't inherit them , you are just responsible for taking control of them and doing what has to be done with them .

State Penal Law 265.20(f) states that if a permit holder dies, the estate has 15 days to dispose of the weapons. If not, the weapons must be surrendered to "an appropriate official" such as local police, or "the superintendent of state police."

HOWEVER, that paragraph also states that such official must hold that weapon in trust for an appropriately licensed recipient. Meaning that for one year, the police are merely holding on to the weapon until it can be RETURNED to the decedent's heirs, who must be licensed as the original owner was. This law only applies to hand guns.

the 15 day period is going to be the only window you have before being charged with illegal possession as well as you can only turn it in to nypd for confiscation . you cannot even sell it as you can't sell an illegal gun to a ffl dealer .

if your permit expires the same rule applies. you cannot sell your guns and nypd confiscates them .
How do you find people to be responsible? Will the local police precinct do this? Can I walk in their with this form, and ask them to do that for me?

Old 05-20-2018, 12:37 PM

the burden is solely on you to find someone to do this .typically it can be who ever the executor of your will is or your spouse. who will be dealing with all your possessions if you die?

Old 05-20-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
the burden is solely on you to find someone to do this .typically it can be who ever the executor of your will is or your spouse. who will be dealing with all your possessions if you die?
But will the police likely do this for random persons?

Old 05-20-2018, 01:04 PM

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo .

you need the executor to tell them you died so they kill the permit and they have to deliver the firearm to the police or sell it within 15 days to a dealer with a ffl..

Old 05-20-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo .

you need the executor to tell them you died so they kill the permit and they have to deliver the firearm to the police or sell it within 15 days to a dealer with a ffl..
Ok does the executor need to be someone who has a license themselves? Thank you for answering my questions.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:33 AM

it does not matter if they have a permit or not . in either case they have to turn it over in 15 days to nypd or sell it to a ffl dealer .

so as an example if my wife has no permit , she has to turn everything over to nypd or sell it to a ffl dealer ..

if she chooses to get a permit which can take 6-9 months nypd will hold them for up to a year .

when she gets the permit she can add them to her permit and take them back . other wise she has no choice but to sell them in the 15 days or have them confiscated after a year .

if she has a permit already , she still has to turn them in to nypd . she then can apply for a purchase order and when that comes through she can add them to her permit and take them back . .

the only thing i am not sure of is typically you must wait 30 days before adding another handgun to your permit . i am not sure in this case if you must do them one at a time and wait or if you can add them all in one shot .

generally you have to wait 30 days between registering handguns and applying for another purchase order , they then take 30-60 days to approve it so adding each one can run months if you have to do them one at a time .

nyc does not allow co-registering so two people cannot have the same gun listed on two permits so both are owners but some counties in ny state do , that makes the process a non event if someone dies . ..

but are you not in new jersey , if so why the interest in nyc ?

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-21-2018 at 03:44 AM..

Old 05-21-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
it does not matter if they have a permit or not . in either case they have to turn it over in 15 days to nypd or sell it to a ffl dealer .

so as an example if my wife has no permit , she has to turn everything over to nypd or sell it to a ffl dealer ..

if she chooses to get a permit which can take 6-9 months nypd will hold them for up to a year .

when she gets the permit she can add them to her permit and take them back . other wise she has no choice but to sell them in the 15 days or have them confiscated after a year .

if she has a permit already , she still has to turn them in to nypd . she then can apply for a purchase order and when that comes through she can add them to her permit and take them back . .

the only thing i am not sure of is typically you must wait 30 days before adding another handgun to your permit . i am not sure in this case if you must do them one at a time and wait or if you can add them all in one shot .

generally you have to wait 30 days between registering handguns and applying for another purchase order , they then take 30-60 days to approve it so adding each one can run months if you have to do them one at a time .

nyc does not allow co-registering so two people cannot have the same gun listed on two permits so both are owners but some counties in ny state do , that makes the process a non event if someone dies . ..

but are you not in new jersey , if so why the interest in nyc ?
I live in NYC right now. Thank you for your help.

Will the NYPD contact this safeguarding person to confirm what is written on the form? Or does the form need notary?

Old 05-21-2018, 05:02 PM

No it did not need a notary. I don't know if they actually ever called to verify but you don't want to get caught lying on any of these forms

if you live with a spouse or another person there there is a new form now where they have to say it is okay to have a firearm in the house and that has to be notarized
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City