Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 03:13 PM

5,451 posts, read 5,679,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
Where do you get this majority nonsense from? Voter turn out is dismal in nyc so the majority never lets their voice be heard. .
I said the majority of NYC voters. People who do not vote are not voters. They don't count and don't matter. They are just extra bodies to collect taxes from. In a democratic society you vote if you want change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I don't think that's completely true. I believe the majority of NYC residents want there to be secure steady jobs--but for work someone actually does.
If that is true why does Cuomo get reelected (upstate is certainly ain't voting for him with the same % as downstate)? Why did de Blasio get re-elected on a platform of expanding and doubling down on the same old policies? Why do people like Gale Brewer and other local politicians in city council, who openly campaign for such things, get re-elected? I am talking about local politicians, not the feds. We get the government we deserve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

MTA should get more money to fix the subway.
MTA already has plenty of money. Their budget is comparable to all other systems of similar size in western countries who pay their workers western wages. God forbid MTA gets more money, they might add an extra oversight manager to the hole digging crew or employ human direction guides at each subway entrance. I am in favor of increasing MTA budget if I could see that the money would go to anything useful.

Last edited by Gantz; 05-25-2018 at 03:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 06:33 PM

31,761 posts, read 26,716,490 times
After what seemed like a golden era during Bloomberg and last part of RG era, it seems that heyday is over for NYC subways. IMHO there has been a slow but steady backsliding to the 1980's, just without the graffiti.

Trains are crowded, smelly, dirty, and entire system is plagued with homeless, panhandlers, beggars and so forth.

Got on the "A" yesterday evening and there was some guy/group with a microphone, boom box and so forth blasting away. Ran up to the preceding car which was crowded and had a decent showing of homeless.

Went to catch the "Q" later that night (at 33rd) to get home and several NYPD had some homeless guy stripping down (didn't ask anyone what went down), and so forth.

We've been doing several projects on west side which to my dismay means taking the Broadway or 8th avenue lines more than have in past. Am sorry but both seem to attract the dregs of humanity (which is why have always avoided in past), but seems to have gotten worse.

Only difference between back in the day and now is that the trains actually do seem to run. Which means once you get on you'll make to destination without worries about track fires and other issues that took a train out of service.

But even that isn't a guarantee if you travel say after 9PM or one weekends. Both the Broadway and 8th avenue lines have extensive service cuts due to construction which if caught unawares means you may find your trip is very long indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City