Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 09:03 PM

2,192 posts, read 1,823,815 times

Advertisements

A few months ago at work some of the brilliant minds decided that they were going to replace the plastic straws with paper ones. How long do you think that idea lasted? I will say none of this stuff is good for the environment so I’m all for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 10:01 PM

15,854 posts, read 6,658,424 times
Reduce your carbon footprint

Reuse your old ice cream bar sticks............

or how about those italian ices spoons. Now those are real stirrers..... L.O.L.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:17 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,187,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
A few months ago at work some of the brilliant minds decided that they were going to replace the plastic straws with paper ones. How long do you think that idea lasted? I will say none of this stuff is good for the environment so I’m all for it.
I had a restaurant give me a paper straw. For each drink I had to ask for a new one. I guess the place wasn't trying to give out straws cause none of my drinks came with a straw. So yah I had to use 4 straws that evening.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:22 AM

2,192 posts, read 1,823,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I had a restaurant give me a paper straw. For each drink I had to ask for a new one. I guess the place wasn't trying to give out straws cause none of my drinks came with a straw. So yah I had to use 4 straws that evening.
LMAO. Yeah that idea lasted a day!

Old 05-24-2018, 07:33 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,548,134 times
The city council is like a joke these day. Proposing rules that not only cause inconvenience to consumer but also difficult for business owners. Meanwhile, the same group of people proposing on giving away free diaper and free SNAP. They can do better than this. If not, I think is time to replace all of them.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:36 AM

1,183 posts, read 699,357 times
This is a great idea. At least a few politicians in the city can see beyond the end of their street. NYC produces a massive amount of unnecessary plastic waste for no good reason. Communities all over the world are banning plastic bags and straws - the UK is banning them as a country. Most of the first communities to ban them are those that end up with the waste on their shores and beaches. NYC is so used to flushing its **** into the harbor and the sound its a case of out of sight out of mind.

Take a step back for a second - improving the environment we live in - and around us. Other places around the world that are more environmentally backward (not that NYC even is some shining example, its third world in many respects) notice when a place as well-known and iconic as NYC takes a stand. It helps their communities in decision-making to by mainstreaming it.

The plastic-addicts in this city are quite comical. Clutching the hems of their skirts at the thought of less convenience-plastic. How will the city survive? Probably the same way it did for the centuries before. There are more than a million people living in NYC who remember what it was like before plastic bags and plastic straws became such an omnipresent pollution mess. All of them somehow made it.

But yes what a crazy rule! What an economy-killing draconian regulation! I'm all for and lowlifes screwing up the environment even more for the sake of convenience & laziness! You can also pour used oil the drains if that's cheaper, use leaded-gasoline if that helps, you get the message. Minor conveniences for business first, screw everything else.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:10 AM

13 posts, read 81,928 times
My coffee shop has wooden stirrers.

I think people are getting more upset about being 'told what to do' than anything.

Old 05-24-2018, 02:55 PM

870 posts, read 1,343,542 times
<~~ runs to dollar tree to buy some packages of straws!

Old 05-27-2018, 09:38 PM

7,870 posts, read 7,763,948 times
nah I need a straw. Those plastic stirrers can go tho

Old 05-27-2018, 09:57 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,391,288 times
I used a paper straw for the first time yesterday at Hunger Pang in Brooklyn, it was totally fine. It was sitting in my drink 2 hours and didn't get soggy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City