U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 12:25 PM

6,130 posts, read 2,955,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I'm really mad. I typed up two well-thought out responses in this thread and lost both. Very frustrating.
I wish there was a way we could save drafts but I don't think there is. Very frustrating.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 01:14 PM

12,209 posts, read 6,898,091 times
This website needs to be redone. Same old dated platform...

Old 05-24-2018, 03:32 PM

27,874 posts, read 21,962,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
So is all of South shore/Mid Island kind of the same in terms of development?

How has the population changed?

Generally, yes; few to no single family homes are being built besides tacky "Soprano McMansions"; everything else is townhouses or other semi or fully attached.

For Tottenville it is same as elsewhere; when developers cannot get empty land, they buy and tear down single family homes on good sized lots.

On example:

SI Montessori School on the move | SILive.com

Butler Manor demolished in Tottenville | SILive.com

https://www.nypl.org/blog/2010/09/13/house-elmer-built

This is what you get a lot of out there as new construction: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...79745551_zpid/

Or this: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...99223650_zpid/

Old 05-24-2018, 03:42 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,027,705 times
Tottenville used to be a nice quiet little town. It's pretty much Brooklyn now especially on weekends. Traffic everywhere, double parking, who youse lookin at, mind youse own bizness etc Population exploded without fixing the infrastructure first(that could go for the entirety of Staten Island for that matter) They keep building "stuff" in the area including Richmond Valley without the proper space for parking etc. Page ave is goddamn mess. I avoid that like the plague in the middle of the day.

Last edited by SanMan2k5; 05-24-2018 at 03:51 PM..

Old 05-24-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToUES View Post
When I went to Tottenville HS (not actually in Tottenville) in the mid 90s' a fellow student told me this was the first time she had a class with anybody who wasn't white. Her family lived in Tottenville for generations which is rare in Staten Island especially on the South Shore since most of the area was built 70's and on.

The neighborhood is walk able but I would say its not very common to have strangers just walking around just because there isn't much to see. Other then The Conference House it will be like walking though any other suburban neighborhood.

The South Shore SIRR stations are mostly along Amboy Rd where you will find little shopping areas at the stops. They will get noticeably less populated as you get to the end of the line.

One, no it isn't rare to have (or had) four, five, or more generations living on SI. I grew up with and or went to school with kids whose families had been on SI since the 1700's or 1800's. That and or teachers, principles and other "adults" at school came from families like Braisted, Holtermann, and so forth.

Next, yes, until rather recently there were nil to no blacks or any darker people out on much of the South Shore and that includes Tottenville.

Until they changed zoning laws for NYC high schools populations at Tottenville, and New Dorp, HS reflected the local area which was mostly white. Private/Catholic schools out there were same.

You can look at Monsignor Farrell HS yearbooks online; it is only rather recently you see anyone who wasn't Italian, German, Irish, or other White/European background.

Old 05-24-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMan2k5 View Post
Tottenville used to be a nice quiet little town. It's pretty much Brooklyn now especially on weekends. Traffic everywhere, double parking, who youse lookin at, mind youse own bizness etc Population exploded without fixing the infrastructure first(that could go for the entirety of Staten Island for that matter) They keep building "stuff" in the area including Richmond Valley without the proper space for parking etc. Page ave is goddamn mess. I avoid that like the plague in the middle of the day.

Once SI Hospital moved to "Ocean Breeze" all bets about living/building south of Hylan Blvd were off, and that extended all way down to Tottenville.

Everyone had to have their taste (included the Catholic Church) and so were eager to sell of their land so developers could build. Hylan Blvd has never been the same.

Can remember when going from Fingerboard Road and Hylan taking it down to Tottenville or New Dorp was a nice drive. Now it's a CF of traffic and takes ages, especially during day or much of weekends.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:16 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,713,934 times
very small townish/suffolk county like feel to it.

I did some work down there a few years back...and it's a very insulated/everyone who lives here was born here kind of....full of SI FDNY/EMS/NYPD/sanitation employees with a ton of Italian-American blue collar construction, plumbers, masonry folks.

And I have met quite a few people there who haven't been to Manhattan in years....as a matter of fact, people down there go to Jersey more often than they do the rest of the city.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
very small townish/suffolk county like feel to it.

I did some work down there a few years back...and it's a very insulated/everyone who lives here was born here kind of....full of SI FDNY/EMS/NYPD/sanitation employees with a ton of Italian-American blue collar construction, plumbers, masonry folks.

And I have met quite a few people there who haven't been to Manhattan in years....as a matter of fact, people down there go to Jersey more often than they do the rest of the city.

Yes they do!

Well they would, as 440/Outerbridge is right there; in fact know and have known people whose entire lives basically are route 1-9, 440, and the Outerbridge

But then again for many Staten Islanders it's always been about New Jersey. Growing up my family like everyone else went to the Jersey Shore.

As for going to "the city" (Manhattan), no many don't often unless it is for work. Everything else they needed was either out there or across bridge in NJ.

Back in the day you had Hylan Plaza which along with other smaller stores/shops or whatever pretty much took care of what local residents needed or wanted. Again what you couldn't get/find there, there was always NJ, or maybe you drove further west up Hylan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hylan_Plaza

http://www.silive.com/eastshore/inde...ng_to_the.html

Last edited by BugsyPal; 05-24-2018 at 06:27 PM..

Old 05-24-2018, 06:22 PM

16,523 posts, read 11,687,759 times
I hate going to Manhattan. I pretty much hate leaving Staten Island unless I’m going north or south of the city!

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-24-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I hate going to Manhattan. I pretty much hate leaving Staten Island unless I’m going north or south of the city!
Yeabut the traffic on Outerbridge (especially on weekends) is getting ridiculous. Sometimes better to go up north a bit and take the Goethals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City