Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 12:43 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
In city, century21,daffys,TJ Maxx,Marshalls. You will have to dig the clothes racks, but they do have the good stuff. Maybe 1 season off.

Or go to one of the outlet malls like Woodbury commons, or short hills Mall.

My idea of high fashion may be different than yours. My idea of high end ? Top of the line NBs,Levi's 501s,designer everything else. I like the classics.

But these stores also have the good stuff. It's all about the timing.
It's funny, I was just thinking about Daffy's, but does it still exist? I haven't heard about it or seen one in ages.

The other thing to maybe mention, although I know NOTHING about this -- is the trunk sales/sample sales that pop up all the time. https://www.timeout.com/newyork/shop...-nyc-this-week
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 01:50 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,074,137 times
In other words, where can i get high end stuff for cheap!?

Century 21, Woodbury Common Malls, Gilt, Burlington Coat Factory, TJ Maxx = high end brands at final sale pricing

Zara, H&M, Uniqlo = fast retailing chains. decent quality at low to med pricing

Old 05-27-2018, 02:23 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,103 times
eBay is really good

as for stores everyone mentioned them already but I have no "shame" at Century 21. It's a good place for last season stuff. Brands like Rag & Bone don't go down much there, and they have high end stuff like Lanvin, Tom Ford, D&G, etc. for a little savings. So it's not all cheap stuff.

Old 05-27-2018, 02:37 PM

582 posts, read 763,010 times
No one mentioned Bolton lol
Dress Barn is also good but they closed their stores. Only one on Six ave is still open.
Daffys is gone. There used to be one on 57th street west side. Loehmann's also is closed for good.
Ok. I think Boltons and Dress Barn carry only women clothes.

Old 05-27-2018, 02:39 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,688,546 times
H&M is all about marketing. Low prices but they sell ill-fitting clothes from poorly made fabric.

Someone suggested the pop up stores. They can be excellent buys for high end clothes if you wear small sizes.

Try Boltons

Take a look at the Macy's on 34th street. It's a big tourist attraction but also since it's 4-5X the size of Macy's found in any mall, they may carry merchandise that you cannot find at your local Macys.

I actually think clothing has always been cheaper in NYC than in other parts of the US because there is so much more competition. No sales tax on clothes under $100.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:59 PM

31,887 posts, read 26,916,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
It's funny, I was just thinking about Daffy's, but does it still exist? I haven't heard about it or seen one in ages.

The other thing to maybe mention, although I know NOTHING about this -- is the trunk sales/sample sales that pop up all the time. https://www.timeout.com/newyork/shop...-nyc-this-week

Do you guys even live in NYC?

Daffy's went down the pan years ago:

Daffy’s Closing All 19 Stores « CBS New York

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...daffys-is-done

In fact was thinking about Daffy's a week or so ago when going up Madison Avenue one night to get home. That space near 44th is still empty since Daffy's left. But suppose once that new huge building on 42nd and Vanderbilt is done things might change.

Beauty of Daffy's is when they first opened much like Century 21 you could find plenty of designer/high end stuff. But as years wore on and especially by the 1990's into 2000's that was less and less. There is only so much unsold high end goods to be offered at discount I suppose, then you had competition from other places.

Haven't set foot in Century 21 since well before 9/11/01. When worked downtown in the 1990's it still was a place to find deals. However more and more it became an overrun tourist trap selling mostly schlock. Now and then you'd find something, but that meant going fairly often, wading through racks of garbage and dealing with the crowds. I had better things to do with my time.

Last edited by BugsyPal; 05-27-2018 at 09:11 PM..

Old 05-27-2018, 09:14 PM

31,887 posts, read 26,916,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwy View Post
In many parts of the country you can go to stores like Dilards, Macy's, Sears, and JC Penny to get high quality up-to-date clothes BUT at low prices (This may be why Macy's and Sears are going out of business).

Would you be able to do the same in New York City?

I plan on coming there in a few weeks and since it is the fashion capital of nation I know that I can get styles there that are not seen here in my part of the country but I also know about NYC reputation for being super expensive. That is why I asked the question about stores like Dillards.

If not stores like Dillards, JC Penny's etc... then where can I go to buy good quality clothes without paying too much. For example a name brand designer shirt at a high end store here in the midwest would have an average cost between $70 - $80 whereas I could get a shirt by the same designer at Dillards or JC Penny's for an average cost of $20 - $30. It would not be the exact same shirt but it would be the same brand and by the same designer.

In NYC where do fashionable people who are not rich go to get such deals? I am looking for formal casual styles for men specifically

Years ago Woodbury Common's "purple designer" section often had really great deals. Prada, Gucci, etc... But now that place has also become another overrun tourist trap, hundreds of Asians by the busload descend upon the place daily, especially on weekends.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:38 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,118 times
And off of 5 th avenue aka Saks 5th Ave . liquidators.

If you are really lucky, on the ultra cheap, salvation army or Goodwill!

Old 05-27-2018, 09:42 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Do you guys even live in NYC?

Haven't set foot in Century 21 since well before 9/11/01. When worked downtown in the 1990's it still was a place to find deals. However more and more it became an overrun tourist trap selling mostly schlock. Now and then you'd find something, but that meant going fairly often, wading through racks of garbage and dealing with the crowds. I had better things to do with my time.
I find the Century 21 in Queens relatively easy to shop in. It's clean and well-kept and usually not very crowded. I'm not sure how the merchandise compares with the Manhattan one, but I'm not going for the super high end stuff anyway. I buy things like Lucky Brand jeans and New Balance socks. I'm not suggesting you travel out to Rego Park, Queens to shop in the Century 21 there, but for people already in Queens, it might make sense to check it out.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:04 AM

5,516 posts, read 8,761,327 times
Century21, Nordstrom’s Rack, Saks Off 5th. And Macy’s has frequent sales on clothes. Don’t ignore it just because it’s an old name they have some nice stuff there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City