Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 12:52 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

As if that egit BdeB and his instrument Polly Trottenberg haven't messed with NYC drivers enough, comes this fresh hell. As if there already weren't enough parking spots....

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/31/n...r-parking.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 01:20 AM

And get what happens if you park or stand in these desiginated areas:

"Following best practices learned from other cities, carshare parking spaces will have signs to clearly designate each space. These signs will have the regulation OTHERS NO STANDING, meaning that non-carshare vehicles may not stand at this location. Any other vehicle other than the marked carshare company vehicle assigned to that location may not wait or stop to load/unload packages or merchandise at curbside, although they may stop to expeditiously drop off or pick up passengers. If a non-carshare vehicle is found in a carshare parking space, NYPD is authorized to ticket and tow the illegally parked vehicle. A carshare company is also authorized to relocate impermissibly parked vehicles from its carshare parking spaces to the nearest available lawful on-street parking spaces (at no charge to the carshare member or car owner). If a carshare company does relocate an impermissibly parked vehicle from a carshare parking space, there will be a notification system to let those car owners know where their vehicles have been relocated.
In addition to curb regulation signs, there will be pedestrian-level signage in multiple languages explaining the new use of the curb, the aims of the pilot, and how New Yorkers can become carshare members to take advantage of this new mobility option. "

Frequently Asked Questions | DOT Carshare

Old 06-01-2018, 05:52 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
This is sort of a roundabout way to get those additional loading / unloading spaces that I think this city needs to deal with all the additional rideshare loading / unloading. Next step would be to aggressively ticket ubers, lyfts, and others that still stop in traffic lanes to load / unload.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:43 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
NY is only 22 square miles with over a million and a half people.
22 divided by 1.5 million =0.00001466666 room per person.
There is only so much room in Manhattan and we ran out along time ago.

Politicians beat around the bush.
They'll admit we have a congestion problem but its how they tackle it that is disturbing.
They will create laws to change behavior and motor vehicles will be severely impacted.

#1) address the problem.
Remove the parking signs and levy stiff fines then tow.

Then there is the secondary and always very disturbing agenda
ingrained in all those in elected official positions.

#2) How do we make lots of money addressing the problem?
Mass Transit will become the dominant way to eventually travel and all the revenue
will fill the city coffers. Maybe not today or tomorrow but what we are looking at now
is just a small glimpse of what's to come down the road.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:20 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
NY is only 22 square miles with over a million and a half people.
22 divided by 1.5 million =0.00001466666 room per person.
There is only so much room in Manhattan and we ran out along time ago.

Politicians beat around the bush.
They'll admit we have a congestion problem but its how they tackle it that is disturbing.
They will create laws to change behavior and motor vehicles will be severely impacted.

#1) address the problem.
Remove the parking signs and levy stiff fines then tow.

Then there is the secondary and always very disturbing agenda
ingrained in all those in elected official positions.

#2) How do we make lots of money addressing the problem?
Mass Transit will become the dominant way to eventually travel and all the revenue
will fill the city coffers. Maybe not today or tomorrow but what we are looking at now
is just a small glimpse of what's to come down the road.
The most rational way to address this, in my view, is to leverage the massive commuter rail network the city has and to integrate these into a through-running service where the different branches combine to create the second system the city has attempted to create over and over again. With better use of the commuter rail network, NYC gets rapid transit within the city and secondary business districts outside of Midtown and downtown Manhattan become more viable.

The Gateway Project needs to come with a second station on the east side of Manhattan and a station in LIC with NJ Transit and LIRR combining services for some of the shorter legs that currently go to Penn Station. LIRR needs its East Side Access plan to work towards going to downtown Manhattan and over to Atlantic Terminal to be through-running operations. The Tappan Zee needs to have rail for Metro-North to cross the Hudson to justify more frequent joint Hudson Line runs downriver (and into the city) so there’s a receiving loop from the second phase of East Side Access to Penn Station so the joint NJT/LIRR lines in Penn Station coming from NJ and LI have an easy transfer to go uptown and vice versa.

We have a massive endowment of right-of-ways, tracks, and stations that can be much more efficiently put to use. It’s on the organizational level where things are screwed up. This second system is one where both the city and the other municipalities of the Tri-State area can greatly directly benefit and can align on, but the little fiefdoms in charge of each small balkanized piece of the system will need to be compelled to work together.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:26 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
As if that egit BdeB and his instrument Polly Trottenberg haven't messed with NYC drivers enough, comes this fresh hell. As if there already weren't enough parking spots....

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/31/n...r-parking.html
Stop complaining. I can't stand prima donnas that think they're entitled to drive in a city that clearly is suffering from congestion. You do a lot of complaining but what's your solution to the problem? You don't like car sharing but you think you should continue to get in your gas guzzling car and parade around just because you pay for the right.... In NYC? People need to learn how to use public transportation. It's a foreign concept to many but either you pay through the nose to drive or get with the program.

Old 06-01-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Stop complaining. I can't stand prima donnas that think they're entitled to drive in a city that clearly is suffering from congestion. You do a lot of complaining but what's your solution to the problem? You don't like car sharing but you think you should continue to get in your gas guzzling car and parade around just because you pay for the right.... In NYC? People need to learn how to use public transportation. It's a foreign concept to many but either you pay through the nose to drive or get with the program.

Watch yourself!

In case you missed it take subways or buses all the time *in* Manhattan. When I leave the place (Staten Island, Brooklyn, New Jersey or whatever) I roll a different way.

Old 06-01-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Watch yourself!

In case you missed it take subways or buses all the time *in* Manhattan. When I leave the place (Staten Island, Brooklyn, New Jersey or whatever) I roll a different way.
LMAO... Yes I know all of that, but you didn't answer my question...

Old 06-01-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
LMAO... Yes I know all of that, but you didn't answer my question...

No, I didn't because you are always asking people to come up with "solutions" to this or that issue or problem. Am not going to waste my time typing up some doctoral thesis in response to each post on this board.

Second of all the entire premise the Trottenberg woman has based this scheme is largely false. Barely half if Manhattan residents own vehicles if that. Brooklyn, Queens and Bronx are different matters and much likely depends upon where you live. So taking away a scarce resource and *giving it away* to a private company won't solve anything. No one who owns a vehicle that truly and seriously uses the thing is going to sell it to take a chance on some car share thing.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
No, I didn't because you are always asking people to come up with "solutions" to this or that issue or problem. Am not going to waste my time typing up some doctoral thesis in response to each post on this board.

Second of all the entire premise the Trottenberg woman has based this scheme is largely false. Barely half if Manhattan residents own vehicles if that. Brooklyn, Queens and Bronx are different matters and much likely depends upon where you live. So taking away a scarce resource and *giving it away* to a private company won't solve anything. No one who owns a vehicle that truly and seriously uses the thing is going to sell it to take a chance on some car share thing.
You posted the article b*tching about de Blasio, so it's a fair question. This plan that you're derailing has proven successful in other places, so I think it's worth a shot. Do you admit that we have a congestion problem here or are you in denial?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City