Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2018, 09:18 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubz View Post
My class sent 200 to the Ivy League and another 100 to NYU. That’s more than some entire states can account for. But you’re right, Stuy grads don’t get into top universities.
Having attended to Ivy Leagues, I never met a Stuy grad there, or at least anyone who admitted to being one. Of course wealthy suburbanities and wealthy people from Manhattan where much more common than NYC public school graduates.

Trust me when I tell you no one at any top university gives a crap about Stuy grads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 09:18 PM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
/thread

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-05-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What, of life?

Or for this admissions thing? There is none. Won't really help much of anything and it's silly given the number of high or higher-ranking public high schools in New York City that are not one of the specialized high schools. The city basically just needs more slots for good students and a way of producing more good students while this plan basically does none of that.
There's also no point to these schools, and if anything I would end them entirely. Or just convert them to being a part of the rest of the public school system.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:24 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It's accurate on multiple levels.

Number one, no one is going to hire you based on what your tests are k-12.

The only tests mattering to universities at the undergraduate level concerning admissions at the SAT and the ACT.

You're not getting into an university based on what public school you went to in NYC.

Having attended TWO IVIES myself, this is not just rhetorical for me. There were FEW kids from NYC's public schools, period, even the specialized schools. Colleges don't CARE. People from the tri state area that get into the Northeast's top schools are disproportionately from wealthy suburbs or from the well off parts of Manhattan.

https://nextshark.com/asian-american...new-york-city/

"Asian-Americans have the highest poverty rate out of any ethnic group in New York with 27% living in need of a permanent job, according to the city’s data.

Each day in downtown Flushing in the New York City borough of Queens, thousands of day laborers gather on street corners hoping to find work."

Looks like all the test taking isn't doing their community any good whatsoever.
No, I don't think what I'm saying is getting through to you--might be because I'm so ESL.

No one is saying you are hired based on those scores. That's idiotic for anyone to say and idiotic for someone to make a strawman out of. You're not getting into an university solely based on what public school you went to (though there is an odd deal that I think Bard worked out with their joint public high school here).

No one is saying that and your quoting of my post doesn't make any sense in that regard. Please try re-reading what I actually wrote.

I don't care if few NY specialized high school kids went to the two IVIES you went into--which by itself is a ridiculous metric since the applicant pool is more or less the US graduating high school class plus a large well-to-do international pool. Who cares about that? For many, the ivies are lesser options compared to schools with actually good tech programs doing much more interesting work. And yes, absolutely ivies are disproportionately from wealthy suburbs et al, but that's not the point though it does lead to the actual point.

The point is the economic ladder these tests provide. Yes, a lot of East Asian immigrants come here poor as hell and that's very well-documented and poor immigrants do keep on coming here. However, their kids if they have them, and even more their grandkids, somehow end up solid middle class or up pretty consistently. They don't need to go to an ivy for that (though certainly the specialized high schools send a far larger percentage of kids to ivy league schools than your average public high school does)--they just need to get into a reputable enough school with a solid program in something with market value at a price they can afford and that's been consistently happening and is far more important when talking about a community at large than having some much smaller random assortment of people getting degrees from the ivy league with the larger population not doing that well.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:27 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
What are you even talking about, guy?
Many an immigrant groups come here, get educated, find opportunity, and move on. Asians eventually will, as did the European immigrant prior. This is a ploy to get them moving on a little bit faster.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:29 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edubz View Post
The mayor is the furthest thing from a Trump supporter. But I will say that he is using the term “underprivileged” as code speak.
I see a lot of similarities.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:36 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,399 times
Quote:
I don't care if few NY specialized high school kids went to the two IVIES you went into--which by itself is a ridiculous metric since the applicant pool is more or less the US graduating high school class plus a large well-to-do international pool. Who cares about that? For many, the ivies are lesser options compared to schools with actually good tech programs doing much more interesting work. And yes, absolutely ivies are disproportionately from wealthy suburbs et al, but that's not the point though it does lead to the actual point.
Quote:
In total, one out of every 20 Harvard freshmen attended one of the seven high schools most represented in the class of 2017—Boston Latin, Phillips Academy in Andover, Stuyvesant High School, Noble and Greenough School, Phillips Exeter Academy, Trinity School in New York City, and Lexington High School.
making harvard feeder schools

Old 06-05-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
No, I don't think what I'm saying is getting through to you--might be because I'm so ESL.

No one is saying you are hired based on those scores. That's idiotic for anyone to say and idiotic for someone to make a strawman out of. You're not getting into an university solely based on what public school you went to (though there is an odd deal that I think Bard worked out with their joint public high school here).

No one is saying that and your quoting of my post doesn't make any sense in that regard. Please try re-reading what I actually wrote.

The point is the economic ladder these tests provide. Yes, a lot of East Asian immigrants come here poor as hell and that's very well-documented and poor immigrants do keep on coming here. However, their kids if they have them, and even more their grandkids, somehow end up solid middle class or up pretty consistently. They don't need to go to an ivy for that (though certainly the specialized high schools send a far larger percentage of kids to ivy league schools than your average public high school does)--they just need to get into a reputable enough school with a solid program in something with market value at a price they can afford and that's been consistently happening and is far more important when talking about a community at large than having some much smaller random assortment of people getting degrees from the ivy league with the larger population not doing that well.
And what part of it's is not the job of NYC taxpayers to provide a special ladder for the children of poor East or South Asian immigrants do you not understand?

To the overall population these schools are more or less meaningless.

Again, you have heard me say these specialized public schools should not even exist, so I am happy with de Blasio making changes with them. I'd be even happier if he converted them into public schools that simply admitted whoever wanted to attend from the neighborhood or district that they are in.

I completely am opposed to their existence.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:40 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Oh good, so Stuyvesant sent enough to be marked as a feeder school.

Trinity School is definitely not a public school.

Grades K-11 $52,235

Grade 12 $52,795

Old 06-05-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
An article is not the same as actually attending a place.

I met maybe one person from Hunter College High School at Cornell, and one person from the Bronx School of Science. The majority of people from the tri state area where from wealthy suburbs of LI, NJ, and the lower Hudson Valley. And of course wealthy Manhattanities were well represented.

I was a graduate student at Columbia, so I wasn't around the undergraduates that much. Still the suburbs were pretty well represented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City