Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2018, 07:35 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,114 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what is in "the test" for the specialized high schools?
What is the content of the test? I'm really curious. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 07:37 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,114 times
I have to say that I'm pretty disgusted by what de Blasio is trying to do.

It seems like he, and his supporters, the Chancellor, etc., are terribly jealous that the most selective high schools are 65% Asian (even though the Asian students who got in passed the test fair and square because they studied hard!)
So now they want to "diversify" the schools. In other words take seats away from some of those Asian students.
I think it's really rude.

What about not looking at the ethnicity of the students and just judging students on their abilities?
Has anyone ever thought about this (seemingly "radical") idea?

Old 06-09-2018, 07:53 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
I remember taking the test to get into Bronx Science. I failed big time. Nearly half of the content I did not know. I also was not prepared, did not take tutoring, also my Junior high school did not prepare me for the content. In order for one to pass the test to get into a specialized school. He or she must be learning high school math upon entry into junior high school or middle school.

Math was not my forte, however I was able to make it up to Mq6 or math 6. Most of my fellow pupils who were black American, Jamaican, and Hispanic were stuck on mq4 upon graduating. All of those who graduated without reaching mq6 had math problems upon college. I don't know how at that time DOE allowed folks to graduate without advancing to further math practices. If I had finished mq6 prior to graduation, I would have been enrolled in taking precalculus. Mq6 was so hard, that I had to take mq6 in summer school which then I finally passed and graduated. From what I remember in my high school days. I excelled at history and the sciences,(biology, chemistry, earth science, physics). On those regents exams, black kids used to cheat on me like crazy. I remember even taking the CUNY entrance exam, this white kid from a private school wearing his private school uniform cheated off of my exam. I think he went to Dalton.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:34 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I remember taking the test to get into Bronx Science. I failed big time. Nearly half of the content I did not know. I also was not prepared, did not take tutoring, also my Junior high school did not prepare me for the content. In order for one to pass the test to get into a specialized school. He or she must be learning high school math upon entry into junior high school or middle school.

Math was not my forte, however I was able to make it up to Mq6 or math 6. Most of my fellow pupils who were black American, Jamaican, and Hispanic were stuck on mq4 upon graduating. All of those who graduated without reaching mq6 had math problems upon college. I don't know how at that time DOE allowed folks to graduate without advancing to further math practices. If I had finished mq6 prior to graduation, I would have been enrolled in taking precalculus. Mq6 was so hard, that I had to take mq6 in summer school which then I finally passed and graduated. From what I remember in my high school days. I excelled at history and the sciences,(biology, chemistry, earth science, physics). On those regents exams, black kids used to cheat on me like crazy. I remember even taking the CUNY entrance exam, this white kid from a private school wearing his private school uniform cheated off of my exam. I think he went to Dalton.
Whats ur point?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-09-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Whats ur point?
I was just remembering my struggles being a student here in NYC, that's all. I just wish that I was prepared to handle advanced math. Sorry about that. Overall I disagree with the way how Blasio is handling this admissions overhaul.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:48 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Whats ur point?
The points myself and Bronxguyenese were trying to make were that this is a systematic problem among children of color.

My view is that folk were real silent when the systematic and political breakdowns were occurring, at the expense of children of color. But when the mayor comes up with a solution(s) folk now want to say, "it's the community or parents' fault!"

Old 06-09-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
The points myself and Bronxguyenese were trying to make were that this is a systematic problem among children of color.

My view is that folk were real silent when the systematic and political breakdowns were occurring, at the expense of children of color. But when the mayor comes up with a solution(s) folk now want to say, "it's the community or parents' fault!"
Truth. I went to a school high school that was 1/3 black American and 1/3 Jamaican/Anglo Caribbean and 1/3 Hispanic and probably 1 percent white and other. I used to be on the football team back in high school, and the coach was black. He used to lash out at the black American students.

Yes community and parents are at fault. Better parenting and parents being involved can greatly improve students outcome. However historic problems are also at fault for why black students don't do well. Two parent households are a must in my honest opinion, or a positive role model.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:43 AM

264 posts, read 239,009 times
Quote:

My cousins who are Black American, had zero problems getting into Stuyvesant, Townsend Harris and Brooklyn Tech. My cousin who went to Brooklyn Tech however, ended up dropping out, due to getting pregnant. But 15 years later, she's now in Senior Management with the MTA.

They didn't have any issues getting into those specialized schools due to their private school education, and overall intellectual abilities.

I'm not a fan of revising or revamping the admission standards at specialized schools for any students. Either you have the drive, intelligence and determination to pass the exam, or you don't.

If one spends the bulk of their time being unproductive and shunning education, they will not succeed. The rules should not be changed simply because some people don't want to do what those, who gain admission, often do (i.e. spending a great deal of time studying math and science, reviewing practice exams, reading/writing, and generally taking schooling seriously).

I previously posted the video of Mellody Hobson, who is the President of Aerial Investments, which manages over 10 billion in financial assets. Mellody serves on the board of many organizations, including JPMorgan Chase & Co., the Chicago Public Education Fund, the Lucas Museum of Art and the Sundance Institute. She is also a director of the Starbucks Corporation, and The Estée Lauder Companies Inc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_jLel-UVrk

Hobson was not raised in a middle or upper income home. She was raised by her mother on the South Side of Chicago. In the video, she states that her family had to move around a lot, due to her mom's financial struggles. Though life was hard, she realized that the only element that she had personal control over was her ability to study hard.

Mellody mentioned that she would often have to study in the bathroom, because it was the only place that was quiet in her home. She also mentioned that she took full control over her education by gaining admission into St. Ignatius College Prep high school, where she thrived. She later gained admission into Princeton, Harvard, Columbia and Yale, and ultimately matriculated at Princeton.

Also, as a career woman, Mellody did not allow those from her "community," to influence her decisions regarding marriage. She waited for the right one, who would actually add significant value to her life. She's married to George Lucas, who is a multi-billionaire. When asked about her husband, she stated that "it's like being married to Yoda's dad," and then went on to state that her husband has a genius brain. She and George have a child, and though her child is only 4, the little girl is fluent in Mandarin Chinese. Mellody explained that she and her husband wanted their daughter to have EVERY advantage in life. They are grooming their daughter for success. She is the epitome of a tiger mom!

Mellody did not get any breaks, as a black American woman. She worked for everything that she has. Life can be tough, but only the cream will rise to the top.

Last edited by LovelySummer2020; 06-09-2018 at 10:02 AM..

Old 06-09-2018, 11:44 AM

105 posts, read 90,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Does anyone know what is in "the test" for the specialized high schools?
What is the content of the test? I'm really curious. Thanks!
It is basically a math and English test. Somewhat like a mini SAT. It's very surprising that people can insert a race argument into it.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:15 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
I was just remembering my struggles being a student here in NYC, that's all. I just wish that I was prepared to handle advanced math. Sorry about that. Overall I disagree with the way how Blasio is handling this admissions overhaul.
I went to private and public high school, by the time I started going to public high school I actually forgot how to do that kind of math coming from private school. Actually failed like my first 2 math tests in public high school, but by my senior year I was taking precal and calculus. Aced precal, failed calc.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City