Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 02:59 PM

31,908 posts, read 26,970,741 times

Advertisements

Suicide by hanging, poor unfortunate soul.

There seems to be a rash of suicides on Park Avenue lately. Over past year or so this makes the third or fourth IIRC, maybe higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 03:55 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
She already got shafted in the deal.

"Neiman Marcus Group purchased 56% of the Kate Spade brand in 1999, and acquired the remaining 44% in 2006.[4] Neiman Marcus sold the Kate Spade label in 2006 for $124 million to Liz Claiborne Inc., which was later renamed to Fifth & Pacific.[4][12] In February 2014, Fifth & Pacific changed its name to Kate Spade & Company.[13] Coach, Inc. acquired Kate Spade for $2.4 billion in May 2017."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Spade
Thanks for the update, yikes she literally sold herself out of a brand using her name.

Terrible way to go.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:04 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I don't know when someone makes millions on a deal, even if it was a low ball deal I don't feel bad and think they got shafted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
she had hundreds of millions of dollars
sad she chose this route
you would think she had the best therapist or psychiatrist
I mean she probably had 20 to 200 million in the bank. Her name is immortalized in a retail company and in fashion history. Although, she lost out on that potential 2.4 billion deal she was already wealthy with fame, success, money etc. They are saying that the husband was in the other room when she committed suicide and left a note to her daughter saying that it wasn't her fault and ask daddy.

Kate Spade found dead in her Park Avenue apartment of apparent suicide* | Daily Mail Online

Old 06-05-2018, 04:11 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
You could have all the material stuff but if your mind is telling you you're miserable you won't feel happy. It's really sad people don't get all the help they need in time.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:19 AM

582 posts, read 763,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
she had hundreds of millions of dollars
sad she chose this route
you would think she had the best therapist or psychiatrist
It is incredibly sad! I couldn't believe it. I was thinking the exact same thing. She had almost everything! A lovely family, money, fame, and a swanky Park ave apt.
I wonder what makes people like her feel depressed?

Old 06-06-2018, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
It is incredibly sad! I couldn't believe it. I was thinking the exact same thing. She had almost everything! A lovely family, money, fame, and a swanky Park ave apt.
I wonder what makes people like her feel depressed?
I read that she suffered from manic depression and she didn't want to seek help in order to avoid damaging the Kate Spade brand.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:55 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,401,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I read that she suffered from manic depression and she didn't want to seek help in order to avoid damaging the Kate Spade brand.
If that is the case then she is just a selfish b$#@h. How could you leave a 13 year old child without a mother? At least Robin Williams had the strength and courage to wait till his children were all grown up before he decided to off himself.

You have a child that needs you. Get help so that you can be a parent to them. You live for your Children. This makes me so angry to know that her brand was so important to her that she didn't want to get help in fear that it tarnish it. I know how horrible it is to go through depression but for one second think about the people around you before you make this decision.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:08 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,584 times
It's very sad but I also think it was very selfish on her part - she should have been thinking about the damage that killing herself would do to her daughter. She could have afforded some private facility if she was thinking of harming herself. It's not like she'd have had to check herself into Bellevue.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:55 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,568,333 times
This is so sad. Here is the link to the article about her apparent manic depression. Her sister told the Kansas City newspaper that she tried several times to get Kate into treatment, and even offered to be a patient with her, to no avail.

I had a dear friend commit suicide a couple of years ago. She was talented, brilliant, popular, and also had struggled for quite some time with manic depression. I think it is a particularly difficult illness to treat because people feel good when they are in the "up" phase of the disease, and they stop taking their meds. I still think about my friend and miss her very much.

Sister: Kate Spade had mental illness years before suicide | The Kansas City Star

Old 06-06-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
This is so sad. Here is the link to the article about her apparent manic depression. Her sister told the Kansas City newspaper that she tried several times to get Kate into treatment, and even offered to be a patient with her, to no avail.

I had a dear friend commit suicide a couple of years ago. She was talented, brilliant, popular, and also had struggled for quite some time with manic depression. I think it is a particularly difficult illness to treat because people feel good when they are in the "up" phase of the disease, and they stop taking their meds. I still think about my friend and miss her very much.

Sister: Kate Spade had mental illness years before suicide | The Kansas City Star
This lady was afraid of hurting the image of her brand. I actually had no idea that Kate Spade was an actual person until yesterday. I thought it was just a made up name.

Liz Claiborne turned that company around. Kate got around $100 million from selling it to Neiman Marcus (divided by her, husband and a 3rd person). Liz bought it 2006 for $150 million and turned into a billion dollar empire.

RIP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City