Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2018, 03:01 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwo88 View Post
Not every school can offer AP classes if most of the students are not passing the basic classes. For example, why would every high school offer AB and BC Calculus when most do not even finish up pre-calculus? So, for students who finished the pre-calculus and want more challenging math classes, what should they do? Same goes for AP biology, AP chemisty, AP physics, organic chemistry etc. It only makes sense to offer these classes if there is a sizable amount of students that are going to take them. By making all schools zoned, you'll only guarantee that almost no schools will offer them.

If you want to ensure mediocrity, teach to the lowest denominator.
Students don't exist in a bubble and nor do the parents.

Substantial numbers of students in poor neighborhoods have parents in prison. The war on drugs has mainly been a war on people of color and a war on the poor, and mass incarceration has devastated minority communities. With the parents in prison and the kids placed here and there of course they aren't going to do well in school.

It has nothing to do with them being "bad" or "dumb".

After being petitioned by Kim Kardashian, Trump himself pardoned a non violent African American woman sentenced to life in prison for cocaine dealing. Trump himself is now saying he will sign a bill to allow states to sell marijuana.

Deal with underlying socioeconomic causes (including persecution of minorities via the so called war on drugs) and properly invest in public education across the board and you'll see broader improvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 06:13 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,114 times
Quote:
Classic strawman tactics. Who has ever said Asians owned the classrooms besides Carranza himself?
Agreed

Old 06-14-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
And its not even a harmless strawman - its also ascribing some hateful ideology to Asians that Carranza came up with in his head. He basically just slandered a whole minority group.
I know...

Old 06-14-2018, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Some kids/parents just don't care about school
Sadly, I believe that this is the case.

We can't FORCE parents to care about their kids' education to the degree that many Asian parents appear to.
We can't FORCE kids to take school seriously.

Some parents feel it is enough to go to a neighborhood high school, get C's, and graduate. Their goal is for their child to obtain a high school diploma period.

And if that's their goal, and their child's goal as well, so be it.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:18 AM

Quote:
I wonder why DeBlasio and Carranza don't set up trial schools with exactly the methodology that they are proposing and see how it works out and compare outcomes against the specialized high schools and regular schools.
Great idea. I like it.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
That's neither here nor there, and has nothing to do with what was sad.

And again you fault into some parents/kids are "bad".

When the realities going on behind it are far more complicated and complex.
They are not "bad" kids or "bad" parents. They are simply not obsessed with their kids' education.
Some Asian parents are. Therefore their kids tend to get into specialized high schools at higher rates.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:20 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Sadly, I believe that this is the case.

We can't FORCE parents to care about their kids' education to the degree that many Asian parents appear to.
We can't FORCE kids to take school seriously.

Some parents feel it is enough to go to a neighborhood high school, get C's, and graduate. Their goal is for their child to obtain a high school diploma period.

And if that's their goal, and their child's goal as well, so be it.
Well you gotta start somewhere. I think kids of all ethnicities have been performing better over the years, which is good.

I don't think kids need to be like Asian tiger kids though, just devote enough care to pay attention in class, take notes, hand in your assignments on time, and be familiar enough with the material to do well on tests.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
The guys is shrewd, he knows that it's a way to score some cheap points by hating on Asians as there seems to be no consequence in doing so. That attitude seems to also exist among certain members in CD as well.
I agree. Asians seem to be the new group that it's okay to dump on

Old 06-14-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
I guess it's not surprising since we are in the Trump age.
Immigrants are fair game now

Old 06-14-2018, 06:22 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
I feel like this wouldn't fly on the West Coast.

It probably won't end up passing here either, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City