Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2018, 05:02 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
they should let me in the NBA, I can't dunk and I'm stupid at dribbling but there's not enough of sucky players in the NBA
I was thinking of this too. Sports is another avenue for children born into poverty to rise above their station. It's also a huge part of college life.

Let's get rid of team tryouts. Anyone who wants to play on the team, gets on the team. Everyone gets equal time on the court/field. No one can get cut from the team because of lack of ability, only for behavior or academic issues because you never know what the future will bring. Today's klutz can become tomorrow's MVP. As long as each player follows the team rules, you get to play. No one is permitted to have private coaching paid by parents unless everyone gets private coaching. When college scouts want to see high school players, they have to watch everyone. Viva Karl Marx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 09:02 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
The Asians will just follow the almighty $$. And move to homes on LI or Westchester w/ premium schools. No test needed just buy your way in via a house. They been doing this in Jericho, Syosset, Herricks and great neck for years.
That's perfectly fine.

For those not already citizens, they do have to worry about the brutal crackdown on immigration currently in Congress and we see what the Trump administration is doing. Both illegal and illegal immigration will be severely curtailed.

Asians who are not already US citizens should worry about that far more than the specialized schools, which mean nothing in the end.

Trump will many of these families.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:51 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,597,486 times
I feel like the Chancellor of Education should be fired for his racist comments.
Is this being considered by anyone??

Old 06-20-2018, 07:18 AM

1,183 posts, read 707,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I feel like the Chancellor of Education should be fired for his racist comments.
Is this being considered by anyone??
Its astounding that racism per se is not a problem - its only when white people are racist.

The Chancellor's comments about Asian this (and previously White that) should bar him from office already. He's in a position of power and he's a divisive racist - what is he still doing employed by the city?

I'm waiting for his comments on Jews - next up.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:08 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,597,486 times
Carranza is apparently now being sued by white managers in the department of education who state he has discriminated against them, demoted them, forced them to retire, due to their race.

Can't we get rid of this guy already?

Old 06-18-2019, 07:27 AM

124 posts, read 65,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
The Asians will just follow the almighty $$. And move to homes on LI or Westchester w/ premium schools. No test needed just buy your way in via a house. They been doing this in Jericho, Syosset, Herricks and great neck for years.
Those who have resources are already residing in upper income white school districts of LI. This doesn't however really impact their children's ability to gain admission into the Ivy League.

Any person with average intelligence who attends test preparation courses from elementary to high school and studies rigorously, will score relatively well on the SAT or ACT. This is not impressive to Ivy League universities. To gain admission, one will need to stand out from the pack and have something unique about their application, since high test scores are pretty much the norm for all applicants.

I seriously question the IQ of some of these supposedly "gifted students," because they haven't figured this out yet.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:55 AM

1,199 posts, read 724,794 times
Why are schools in NYC so bad in the first place that people actually need magnet schools? I've never heard of Asian families living in real rich neighborhoods like Bronxville. Our Bronxville is Flushing and Jamaica, and to an extent Parkchester. Flushing High is a good school but it's overcrowded and under resourced.

I've seen photos of schools in other areas of the country and it's like night and day. This guy I know who is kind of a frenemy grew up in a part of New Jersey where his school was located on an actual campus like a college.

It was much fancier than Stuy, however the only thing you needed to do to get in was live there. The kids there, even the retarded kids, could go head to head with Stuy grads in terms of Ivy admissions. They had a lot of opportunities like study abroad, and their schools actually had decent gyms with football fields.

After they graduated from the Ivy's, they would live in places like Williamsburg and Bushwick. Meanwhile I met a lot of Stuy graduates and they went to the same chitty CUNY I did and they either live with their parents forever or reside in Newark.

There was an electronic toilet paper dispenser in the john. Meanwhile the fanciest item in the vast majority of NYC HS's is the permanent metal detector setup. I just wonder, why do our kids have to fight so hard just because our grandparents came from Asia and not from some other place where we could just live in a given area and be guaranteed a good school?

It's the same reason Puerto Ricans were put into failing schools in the '50s same with Italians in the '20s. The experience of Chinese, Bangladeshi and Guyanese kids today is like that of Puerto Ricans in the 50s.

The same biases are being displayed by the school system toward Puerto Rican kids whose families have been on the mainland for 100 years. Similarly many Asian parents were born here and are not recent immigrants. Yet our kids have to fight just to have an education.

Last edited by fatsquirrel; 06-18-2019 at 09:18 AM..

Old 06-18-2019, 09:04 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
When I was in middle school in NYC, there were clear racists amongst teachers during the 90s. It's not like today where teachers can be filmed. I had teachers that clearly said racist things about Asians and Hispanics. One teacher told me that had the Asians and Hispanics came here before the other immigrants, NYC would look like a 3rd world country.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
When I was in middle school in NYC, there were clear racists amongst teachers during the 90s. It's not like today where teachers can be filmed. I had teachers that clearly said racist things about Asians and Hispanics. One teacher told me that had the Asians and Hispanics came here before the other immigrants, NYC would look like a 3rd world country.
Yeah I graduated from HS less than 10 years ago, and I've heard the same thing from some teachers and staff in the schools.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
That's perfectly fine.

For those not already citizens, they do have to worry about the brutal crackdown on immigration currently in Congress and we see what the Trump administration is doing. Both illegal and illegal immigration will be severely curtailed.

Asians who are not already US citizens should worry about that far more than the specialized schools, which mean nothing in the end.

Trump will many of these families.
I've only met one Asian kid who grew up in a rich white suburb. Most Asians who live outside NYC are in Edison, Fort Lee and other ethnically focused areas. BTW many Asian parents in NYC weren't just born here, their parents and grandparents were born here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City