Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2018, 05:54 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times

Advertisements

So get ready to either have fun or leave town if you are in Manhattan!

https://ny.curbed.com/2018/6/6/17434...treet-closures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 05:56 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Ugh... I'll be sure to avoid that part of Manhattan...

Old 06-06-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Ugh... I'll be sure to avoid that part of Manhattan...

Actually things have clamed down at least on UES the past several years. Turning point came IIRC after that female was jumped in Central Park.

Bloomberg also shamed his neighbors on UES (especially those from Fifth to Park) that basically barricaded their homes/buildings then fled town as if they heard Hitler had just invaded Poland.

In return think leaders of the PR community have made efforts to tamp down on the rowdiness and keep a lid otherwise on troublemakers.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:09 PM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Actually things have clamed down at least on UES the past several years. Turning point came IIRC after that female was jumped in Central Park.

Bloomberg also shamed his neighbors on UES (especially those from Fifth to Park) that basically barricaded their homes/buildings then fled town as if they heard Hitler had just invaded Poland.

In return think leaders of the PR community have made efforts to tamp down on the rowdiness and keep a lid otherwise on troublemakers.
Sound like Miami Beach during Spring Break residents flee their homes

Old 06-06-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:

I don't have an issue with that. I have an issue with not being able to get where I need to go because they close down so many streets. I was burned a few years ago by that parade. Took me forever to get home. Never again. I have a problem in general with these parades. The NYPD goes over the top. I've even been stuck trying to get to my office in some cases because they block off everything so damn early and getting from west to east or vice versa is impossible, even if you show them your business card which shows you work in the area.

New Yorkers should protest the fact that so many streets have to be shut down just because of a parade. Same crap last weekend with the Israeli parade. I had to abandon my plans and just go straight Downtown and stay there until that mess was over. June is unbearable. There's a damn parade almost every weekend. Ridiculous.

The worst one is the Brazilian parade. It's never over when they claim that it will be.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I don't have an issue with that. I have an issue with not being able to get where I need to go because they close down so many streets. I was burned a few years ago by that parade. Took me forever to get home. Never again. I have a problem in general with these parades. The NYPD goes over the top. I've even been stuck trying to get to my office in some cases because they block off everything so damn early and getting from west to east or vice versa is impossible, even if you show them your business card which shows you work in the area.

New Yorkers should protest the fact that so many streets have to be shut down just because of a parade. Same crap last weekend with the Israeli parade. I had to abandon my plans and just go straight Downtown and stay there until that mess was over. June is unbearable. There's a damn parade almost every weekend. Ridiculous.

Live on the UES where nearly all parades end, so you don't have to tell me about how difficult it is to get around.

IIRC only a handful of parades go down Fifth instead of come up. The Gay Pride march is one of them, so at least last weekend in June brings some relief.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Live on the UES where nearly all parades end, so you don't have to tell me about how difficult it is to get around.

IIRC only a handful of parades go down Fifth instead of come up. The Gay Pride march is one of them, so at least last weekend in June brings some relief.
They should go further in shortening how long they run. You're basically held hostage until that mess wraps up and then some. They could end them at 3pm. 4 hours is more than enough time for a parade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City