Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 03:28 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times

Advertisements

I will be staying/working in Midtown East for a week in July. My teenage daughter will be with me.

Our hotel room has a mini-fridge, but that's it.

Would really rather not eat out/fast food every meal for a week, was looking for someplace where we could get some basic groceries that we could put in the mini-fridge. Fruit, bread, cold cuts, cheese, yogurt, that kind of thing. All I'm finding so far is a Japanese grocer a couple of blocks away.

We'll be near 50th and Lexington.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 03:29 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
I will be staying/working in Midtown East for a week in July. My teenage daughter will be with me.

Would really rather not eat out/fast food every meal for a week, was looking for someplace where we could get some basic groceries that we could put in the mini-fridge. Fruit, bread, cold cuts, cheese, yogurt, that kind of thing. All I'm finding so far is a Japanese grocer a couple of blocks away.

Any suggestions?
Whole Foods at 57th and 2nd... Avoid Sundays during the peak periods. Too many obnoxious UES stroller mom types clogging up the damn aisles. The later you go the better. If you want nice organic fresh bread, there's also a Le Pain Quotidien at 50th and 2nd. Nice and quiet on the weekends. I go there after going to the Whole Foods I mentioned and relax with some organic wine. Don't get your fruit at the Whole Foods I mentioned though. I'd jump on the Lex line to the Whole Foods at Union Square instead or the Farmer's Market nearby. Not very far.

You should really check out 2nd Avenue though. Some decent eats. The Smith isn't bad. There's also Little Collins (Australian) on Lex near 56th. Good coffee, nice pastries and some interesting breakfast/brunch options.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:01 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
Trader Joe’s on 33rd & 3rd would be good too

Old 06-08-2018, 04:11 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Fruit, bread, cold cuts, cheese, yogurt, that kind of thing.
All these things you can buy daily at a near by deli or corner store. There are plenty of healthy food options and not everything is fast food. Duane Reade and CVS also have basic panty items in all their stores so you could by some snacks there. I would enjoy being in NYC though and trying different food and places. Unless you are on a strict budget and don't have the money to eat out. Its just a shame to come here and be eating wonder bread with processed deli meat in your hotel room every day.

But if you want a grocery store another suggestion is there is the Amish Market at 240 E 45th St, New York, NY 10017 between 2nd and 3rd ave. http://eastamish.com

Old 06-08-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
All these things you can buy daily at a near by deli or corner store. There are plenty of healthy food options and not everything is fast food. Duane Reade and CVS also have basic panty items in all their stores so you could by some snacks there. I would enjoy being in NYC though and trying different food and places. Unless you are on a strict budget and don't have the money to eat out. Its just a shame to come here and be eating wonder bread with processed deli meat in your hotel room every day.

But if you want a grocery store another suggestion is there is the Amish Market at 240 E 45th St, New York, NY 10017 between 2nd and 3rd ave. Amish Market East
Duane Reade? Really? Overpriced. CVS is a bit better but still. I wouldn't go there for fruits and such.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:35 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Duane Reade? Really? Overpriced. CVS is a bit better but still. I wouldn't go there for fruits and such.
Did I say buy fruits there, no! I pointed out the Amish market for that.

Duane Reade and CVS are great places to go to buy a case of water for the hotel room and maybe a few snacks.
$5 for a case of water is not over priced compared to buying 1 bottle on the corner for $1

Old 06-08-2018, 04:44 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:

Any suggestions?

My vote goes to the Whole Foods on 57th between Third and Second Avenues. They will have a vast selection of most anything you'll need including prepared meals.

For things like water, soda and whatever, there is a huge Duane Reade at Third and 56th, or slightly smaller at 53rd and Third avenue.

Once you arrive take a walk around area from Lexington to roughly Second avenues. The area is tourist central along with part of mid-town business district so there are plenty of various food options. Things tend to be a bit cheaper on Second as it is more residential. You'll also find a good number of restaurants of all sorts from about 56th street going south into the 40's and below. Due to the UN being not far that part of town has a high number of diplomats and others connected with that body, hence diversity of food options.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Did I say buy fruits there, no! I pointed out the Amish market for that.

Duane Reade and CVS are great places to go to buy a case of water for the hotel room and maybe a few snacks.
$5 for a case of water is not over priced compared to buying 1 bottle on the corner for $1
Water is still cheaper at WF when comparing it to Duane Reade and there's more selection too. I haven't used Duane Reade in years. CVS in Manhattan can be just as expensive for what they offer.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:52 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Water is still cheaper at WF when comparing it to Duane Reade and there's more selection too. I haven't used Duane Reade in years. CVS in Manhattan can be just as expensive for what they offer.

We've been through this, dirt cheap is Rite Aid.

Walgreen's, Duane Reade and CVS can all be a toss up depending upon several factors. Quite honestly RA is always my first stop if possible.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:52 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
The Japanese grocery store you're talking about is probably Dainobu which is small, but pretty good and has prepared foods you can keep for later. will you guys have a microwave?

A better Japanese grocery store also in easy walking distance are the two Katagiri's with one south of you near Grand Central and one north of you near the end of the Roosevelt Island Tramway. I think their stuff is higher end than Dainobu and I think their onigiris that you can take for later and ramen served there is really good (the ramen I've had in the location near Grand Central is especially good and surprising since it's the takeout ramen of a small grocery store and is on par with the best sitdown places in the city).

That neighborhood you're in is actually a prime location for Japanese food in the city ranging in a lot of variety and price points. It's pretty great for that so if you're looking to try some restaurants nearby, Japanese is great in the neighborhood. A lot of those restaurants have fairly nondescript exteriors (or no real exteriors at all as some are in basements or on second floors), but if you search online you'll find them.

Someone mentioned Whole Foods--yea, that exists.

Grand Central Market in Grand Central has a collection of things with much of it being pretty good though more upscale in general so a bit pricier. It's basically a collection of shops in the market which would have the things you listed like cold cuts, cheese, bread, fruit, etc. Bien Cuit's bread there is good, cheese from Murray's Cheese is as well. It's kind of a nice tourist-y experience by itself.

I wonder if FreshDirect delivers to hotel rooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City