Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2018, 05:35 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times

Advertisements

From what I understand from my Puerto Rican friends, many white people in Puerto Rico do identify as "blanco". However, when they come to the mainland, they may identify as white (still) or as "Hispanic" and not necessarily a white person in the United States.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Jewish has everything to do with this, and plays a significant role in things in Latin America as well (Hernado Cortes who conquered Mexico for Spain was Jewish and many Latinos are part Sephardic).

The point being is that you cannot just look at someone in places like Latin America and say that a person is "white" and therefore entirely European when many people are mixed race and will have members of the immediate and extended family who look pretty different and have different features.

Claiming the majority of people in San Juan are when people who have much greater knowledge of Puerto Rico and Latin America than you explain they are mixed race shows extremely high levels of ignorance and is also disrespectful to Puerto Ricans, many of whom identify as people of mixed heritage with multiple races/ethnicities in their background.

Re: Black, there's almost NO knowledge among NYC Ashkenazi that many people in the Americas who might appear Black or Native are also part Jewish, due to colonialism and slavery and many of us still have Jewish last names for those very reasons.

NYC Ashkenazi are typically second or third generation Americans, and don't really have much knowledge about big parts of American (both US and Latin American history). Obviously this isn't true of everyone, as I've known Ashkenazi scholars who have done considerable academic work in these areas, but on average there's little real knowledge.
Some Jews in America, Ashkenazi and otherwise, are ignorant about the diversity of the world Jewish community. But this is less and less so the case.

Literally every synagogue I have ever worshiped at had one or more black congregants.

Anyone who has even just visited Israel (and many American Jews have) knows that Jews come in all colors, as at least half of Israeli Jews would be characterized as "brown" (with origins in Asia or Africa) rather than white.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:39 AM

Quote:
"The Afro-Argentine population resulting from the slave trade during the centuries of Spanish domination of the Viceroyalty of the Río de la Plata had a major role in Argentine history. Throughout the 18th and 19th centuries they comprised up to fifty percent of the population in some provinces, and had a deep impact on national culture. In the 19th century the Afro-Argentine population declined sharply due to several factors, such as the Argentine War of Independence (c. 1810-1818), high infant mortality rates, low numbers of married couples in this ethnic group, the Paraguayan War, cholera epidemics in 1861 and 1864, and a yellow fever epidemic in 1871. By the late 19th century the Afro-Argentine population consisted mainly of women, who mixed with the large numbers of European immigrants.[4][5]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro-Argentines

Over 5% of Argentines state they have at least one black ancestor, and a further 20% state they do not know whether or not they have any black ancestors.[6][7] Genetic studies carried out in 2005 showed that the average level of African genetic contribution in the population of Buenos Aires is 2.2%, but that this component is concentrated in 10% of the population who display notably higher levels of African ancestry.[8] Today there is still a notable Afro-Argentine community in the Buenos Aires districts of San Telmo and La Boca. There are also quite a few African-descended Argentines in Merlo and Ciudad Evita cities, in the Buenos Aires metropolitan area.

Since 2013, November 8th has been celebrated as the National Day of Afro-Argentines and African Culture. The date was chosen to commemorate the recorded date for the death of María Remedios del Valle, a rabona and guerrilla fighter, who served with the Army of the North in the Argentine War of Independence.[9][10]

The numbers that are given there, 5% are statistically significant and are greater the percentage of practicing Jews in the United States.

But yes, Afro-Argentines played a major role in the history of the nation.
That's interesting information - thank you for posting!

But still 5% is a very small minority of the population in Argentina.

And (not sure how it's relevant), but Jews (practicing and non-practicing) are a much tinier percentage of the U.S. population at only 2 %.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:41 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
From what I understand from my Puerto Rican friends, many white people in Puerto Rico do identify as "blanco". However, when they come to the mainland, they may identify as white (still) or as "Hispanic" and not necessarily a white person in the United States.
Meaning you have completely no knowledge of Puerto Rico.

When dealing with this stuff, you cannot go by what a "friend" told you.

A friend of mine who is from Spain told me how much Spaniyards hated Pakistanis and how Spain and the European Union would never fund research on them. I countered and told them the department that I worked with received funding from Spain and the EU to do research on immigrants, including Pakistanis and that his grandmother was a dumb *****.

Just because someone from a country says something from a country doesn't necessarily make it true.

And in NYC of all places, there's so much misinformation out there from people who will call themselves Puerto Rican or Dominican but have not been to those islands in decades and in some cases never! Or if they go it's to visit grandmother or something, but it's not like they have extensive experience.

These issues are a bit complex and if you have no actual knowledge of them it's best not to discuss them.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:02 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
That's interesting information - thank you for posting!

But still 5% is a very small minority of the population in Argentina.

And (not sure how it's relevant), but Jews (practicing and non-practicing) are a much tinier percentage of the U.S. population at only 2 %.
Argentina's native admixture is considerably higher, though

Old 06-25-2018, 06:07 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Seems like this thread is becoming more about other countries black or what-not populations rather than that of NYCs.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:52 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Seems like this thread is becoming more about other countries black or what-not populations rather than that of NYCs.
I1995 lives to push the race trade. He is the al sharpton of the NYC forum.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Meaning you have completely no knowledge of Puerto Rico.

When dealing with this stuff, you cannot go by what a "friend" told you.

A friend of mine who is from Spain told me how much Spaniyards hated Pakistanis and how Spain and the European Union would never fund research on them. I countered and told them the department that I worked with received funding from Spain and the EU to do research on immigrants, including Pakistanis and that his grandmother was a dumb *****.

Just because someone from a country says something from a country doesn't necessarily make it true.

And in NYC of all places, there's so much misinformation out there from people who will call themselves Puerto Rican or Dominican but have not been to those islands in decades and in some cases never! Or if they go it's to visit grandmother or something, but it's not like they have extensive experience.

These issues are a bit complex and if you have no actual knowledge of them it's best not to discuss them.
I don't know: lots of people on this website shoot their mouth off about lots of things they know even less about. I did study sociology and have some academic background in the sociology of race and ethnicity. I do understand the despicable "one drop rule" in American history, and the fact that it was not the case in Latin America.
In fact, many Latin Americans consider themselves white when they are obviously mixed even.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Argentina's native admixture is considerably higher, though
Maybe so. Also debatable.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:05 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,142 times
Quote:
Race in Latin America is more “fluid” than in the US.

Even if they’re not actually mostly white, but generally white leaning, they might identify as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City