Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2018, 10:34 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer2020 View Post
Actually, before the slave ships arrived, there were already some so called "Black" people, in America. Also, "Black" people w/ ancestry dating back to over 400 years in the U.S., are mixed with European ancestry as well.

I sincerely hope that "Black" Americans do away with the "African American" label, and simply embrace being called an American. Why do we even use the term "Black" when the majority of so called Black Americans are Brown or lighter in color. It's mind boggling.
African Americans are American. Sometimes I don't find much of a significant difference with black and white Americans when I step away from nyc.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:36 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,529,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
. I blame part of it on the media. The media portrays black people as the worse of the worse in just about everything which therefore makes some people feel as if they have a right to make comments that perhaps they otherwise wouldn't make. In the social "hierarchy", Latinos consider themselves often superior to black people. Just the reality of things, even if the two groups share poverty and other problems almost equally.
I can wonder why some Latinos would blame violence on non Hispanic blacks after various violent incidents in the Bronx over the past few weeks. The brutal slaying of that boy was committed by Latinos, I suspect Dominican origin. And this isnt unusual behavior.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:38 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,276,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I hope you know that some of Argentina national players are not from Argentina. If if offers you any consolation. Juan peron is a mestizo. On the other hand Che Guevara is white, especially with his Irish heritage.
Like who?

I've looked at their entire team. They're all born and bred Argentines.

This guy is swarthy as hell and he's from Argentina:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergio...BCero_2018.jpg

Sergio Aguero

Here's another one:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Meza_2018.jpg
Maximiliano Meza

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...el_Mercado.jpg
Gabriel Mercado

All three clearly are mixed. The last one looks mixed with black IMO. He could easily be a Venezuelan.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I can wonder why some Latinos would blame violence on non Hispanic blacks after various violent incidents in the Bronx over the past few weeks. The brutal slaying of that boy was committed by Latinos, I suspect Dominican origin. And this isnt unusual behavior.
You know why because black people are supposed to be the worst of the worst. Latinos may be lumped in with the whole black and brown thing, but when it comes down to it, usually they are seen as superior to black people which is just absurd when you look at certain statistics. For example statistically, I believe Latinos perform worse as an entire group in terms of dropouts, but yet you will see the media put blacks at the forefront of that and anything else that's bad. It's always black first then brown.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I'm not saying the "average" Puerto Rican is white. I don't know the statistics in PR. I do remember that in San Juan, many, if not most Puerto Ricans were white. Again, some were blonde. Many were mixed. Some were black, but my friend who I was traveling with (who is black) sadly heard several racist statements against black people in Puerto Rico.
Yes people from the PR elite often pass the "white test" even among Americans. As obsessed as white Americans are about race it often amuses me about how easily fooled they are by people trying to "pass".
The average person in PR isnt white and images from their hurricane disaster reinforced that fact. A large % show very visible African ancestry and can best be described as mixed.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
At least 40 percent of the people in San Juan, and maybe 60 percent or more.

No i didn't do DNA tests on them, but I haven't on American white people either. Have you?
Clearly you only walked around the wealthy areas. The vast majority of people in San Juan show various mixtures of Euro, Afro and Taino ancestries, usually in that order.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
My last name is Sephardic Jewish because of a slave owning ancestor (who had a child with an ancestor of mine who was a slave). I too am "Latino".
I have been to New Orleans and when folks down their referred to Latinos it was about Central American immigrants. By now the "creoles" are seen as a subset of the black population and I think the walls separating the two are becoming weaker, except among the most elite families.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Colonization in South America in the Caribbean wasn't the same. The English believed in the one drop system. The Spanish did not, which means that you have people who may "look" white but are far more mixed than you would think. That isn't to say that the English didn't mix because they certainly did, but you were either black or white and if you have a smallest amount of black in you, you were considered black, case closed. In Latin America people who either look mixed or are mixed will often choose white.
The one drop rule was NOT a factor of British colonialism. They firmly adhered to a three tiered model with whites on top, blacks at the bottom, with a mulatto class in the middle. If you doubt look at the class/color issues of Jamaica.

ODR was a POST civil war phenomenon that was developed as white elites feared the growing economic and political clout of the mulatto elite in cities like Charleston and New Orleans. They sought to disempower them by installing Jim Crow and ODR.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
The one drop rule was NOT a factor of British colonialism. They firmly adhered to a three tiered model with whites on top, blacks at the bottom, with a mulatto class in the middle. If you doubt look at the class/color issues of Jamaica.

ODR was a POST civil war phenomenon that was developed as white elites feared the growing economic and political clout of the mulatto elite in cities like Charleston and New Orleans. They sought to disempower them by installing Jim Crow and ODR.
That wasn't my point. I'm well aware of that. The point is someone who is mulatto may be treated better yes, but they were NOT considered white by any means under the British system, nor would they ever be treated as if they were white, so while they were treated better than blacks being part white, they were still seen as inferior to whites.

Hell that's a big reason why there's such animosity between people mixed with white and black and blacks today.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Agreed.

."

Those of us who actually know Puerto Ricans personally as friends and coworkers know that many of them appear to be white.

".
In fact in NYC the majority of Puerto Ricans do NOT identify as white. Being more nuanced in US definitions of race than their counterparts in PR they select "other" which they think best describes their mixed ancestries.

Seriously citing friends or people that you work with as evidence is quite simple. Firstly racism has meant that white Puerto Ricans are more upward mobile and so will be over represented in professional environments. Secondly many of these so called Puerto Ricans might even be part Jewish or some other Latin group, might have a Hispanic last name and so will be considered Puerto Rican.

The Puerto Rican identify is based on its mixed Euro, Afro, and Taino ancestries. This because most of them consist of this. Even though being white clearly brings benefits in what is clearly a society with a serious colonial mentality. One need only look to see who is "Miss PR" in beauty contests and who is elected governor and compare these people with the population at large. Clearly you moved with the elites so can peddle the nonsense that most people in San Juan are white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City