Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 05:34 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Yes, and most if it is definitely not urban. Only a tiny percentage of Riverdale is urban.
That I actually agree with, because a lot of Riverdale is windy streets and detached single family houses on large lot sizes.

I think what many people think of as the urban parts of Riverdale is actually Kingsbridge.

As for your point about the high rise towers in the UES, yes I agree that they're more urban when flush with the street or at least a tower in the park design.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 05:42 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That I actually agree with, because a lot of Riverdale is windy streets and detached single family houses on large lot sizes.

I think what many people think of as the urban parts of Riverdale is actually Kingsbridge.

As for your point about the high rise towers in the UES, yes I agree that they're more urban when flush with the street or at least a tower in the park design.
Riverdale is also loaded with high rise apartment buildings sitting on top of garages in landscaped environments.

Kingsbridge isn't Riverdale . Anywhere South of 241 St, Riverdale is only West of Riverdale Ave/ Irwin Avenue. Only after 241 St around Gaelic Park going North does Broadway become the dividing line.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Riverdale is also loaded with high rise apartment buildings sitting on top of garages in landscaped environments.

Kingsbridge isn't Riverdale . Anywhere South of 241 St Riverdale is only West of Riverdale Ave/ Irwin Avenue.Only after 241 St around Gaelic Park going North does Broadway become the dividing line.
I'm not super familiar with Riverdale so I won't comment on that.

I know Kingsbridge isn't Riverdale. But many businesses in Kingsbridge identify as being Riverdale. I also notice that many people refer to places East of Kingsbridge as "Kingsbridge" when it's really more like Fordham.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:52 AM

Quote:
I'm not super familiar with Riverdale so I won't comment on that.

I know Kingsbridge isn't Riverdale. But many businesses in Kingsbridge identify as being Riverdale. I also notice that many people refer to places East of Kingsbridge as "Kingsbridge" when it's really more like Fordham.
Of course they do. What else is new? Real estate brokers also sell houses in Van Nest as being in Morris Park. Anything that makes people feel better about where they live is good for business.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Of course they do. What else is new? Real estate brokers also sell houses in Van Nest as being in Morris Park. Anything that makes people feel better about where they live is good for business.
I actually don't think this is entirely a case of that, it seems like a lot of New Yorkers mistakenly think that the 1 stops in The Bronx are all Riverdale. The Bronx seems to have the least neighborhood identities out of any borough. I know I mentioned this before, but I know a woman who has lived in Mott Haven her whole life and doesn't even seem to know what Mott Haven is, she identifies as "Brook Ave" or something like that.

And that's why Fordham Manor to many people is Kingsbridge, presumably because Kingsbridge Road goes through it

Old 06-14-2018, 06:24 AM

965 posts, read 1,113,365 times
Quote:
I actually don't think this is entirely a case of that, it seems like a lot of New Yorkers mistakenly think that the 1 stops in The Bronx are all Riverdale. The Bronx seems to have the least neighborhood identities out of any borough. I know I mentioned this before, but I know a woman who has lived in Mott Haven her whole life and doesn't even seem to know what Mott Haven is, she identifies as "Brook Ave" or something like that.

And that's why Fordham Manor to many people is Kingsbridge, presumably because Kingsbridge Road goes through it
This nearly brings a tear to me eye almost everytime.

Me: "Hey, what part of the Bronx do you live in?"

Other Bronxites: "Gun Hill, Webster Avenue, 161st, Story Avenue"

Old 06-14-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post
This nearly brings a tear to me eye almost everytime.

Me: "Hey, what part of the Bronx do you live in?"

Other Bronxites: "Gun Hill, Webster Avenue, 161st, Story Avenue"
Me too! What is the reason? These names are legit too, they've been around forever.

How did the entirety of Wakefield, Williamsbridge, and Edenwald become "Gun Hill"?

It can't be poverty alone, because Brooklyn has impoverished neighborhoods too and you still see that neighborhood pride. I think everyone knows the J train divides Bushwick and Bed Stuy.

Since you grew up there, did you even know anybody who would say they lived in Mott Haven, Melrose, Morrisania, etc? I know a chick who has lived in Longwood since she was 8 and could not even tell me what neighborhood she lived in, she described it as being "Near Hunts Point" or something like that.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:30 AM

I know, so much ignorance. People who live in Bushwick think they live in Williamsburg. People who live on 101 St and Lex think they live on the UES. People who live on the lower East side think the live in the village. It's never ending. Nevertheless, there are neighborhoods with boundaries.

Actually, there is no Fordham Manor. There is University Heights, Fordham, Kingsbridge and Riverdale. All the rest over there are really just subsections of one or the other.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
I know, so much ignorance. People who live in Bushwick think they live in Williamsburg. People who live on 101 St and Lex think they live on the UES. People who live on the lower East side think the live in the village. It's never ending. Nevertheless, there are neighborhoods with boundaries.

Actually, there is no Fordham Manor. There is University Heights, Fordham, Kingsbridge and Riverdale. All the rest over there are really just subsections of one or the other.
With Bushwick, I actually think it's more common for people in Williamsburg/East Williamsburg to claim Bushwick than the reverse. It seems like the Puerto Ricans there even consider Grand St to be part of Bushwick. I also think it's more common for people to mistakenly refer to anything vaguely in the Lower East portion of Manhattan as being the "LES".

And point being, Valentine Ave is not Kingsbridge!

Old 06-14-2018, 06:41 AM

34,008 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
To me it screams Bronx, and not Nassau County.

It might not be the best form of urbanity, but I don't think it would be accepted as suburbia anywhere in the United States.

My favorite form of urbanity is consistent blocks of rowhomes/townhouses and 2-6 story apartment buildings.
I think you think that urban = dense.

You should have phrased your question differently, i.e., "what neighborhoods have a lot of apartment buildings and no subway access?"

I think thats what you were more looking to have answered.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City