Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2018, 07:45 AM

9 posts, read 5,189 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Let's say I apply for lottery with 20% AMI, but got a new job with 60% AMI. If i get selected for an interview, what happens? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 07:56 AM

6,687 posts, read 6,031,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampra View Post
Hi all,

Let's say I apply for lottery with 20% AMI, but got a new job with 60% AMI. If i get selected for an interview, what happens? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!
You get rejected. They move on to the next number. It's Adios! Arrivederci. Bon voyage! auf Wiedersehen!
And there is no fighting it or returning.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:23 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,568,333 times
Okay, I think there is some confusion here. Or maybe I am misinterpreting the original question.

AMI stands for Area Median Income. It is the median income of the five boroughs, Westchester and Rockland counties, and perhaps some more areas. It usually increases every year.

The AMI is not your income.

I think that the OP is saying is that he or she applied to a particular lottery, fitting into the 20% bracket at the time. (I didn't even know there was a 20% bracket, but whatever.)

I assume the OP put down his income as being within that bracket.

Now, if Sampra gets called to interview, he will bring in all his documents, pay stubs, etc. Assuming he's now in the 60% bracket, he will be processed and offered an apartment in that bracket, assuming that that particular lottery HAS a 60% bracket.

If he is between brackets, however, he will be rejected.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:22 AM

965 posts, read 1,114,064 times
This goes for all brackets.

At any point in time you get a raise BEFORE the lease signing, you are deemed disqualified for that particular bracket; however, if your income range happens to fall into another, then happy day, you will vie for that apartment instead.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:13 AM

1,063 posts, read 696,713 times
The more money you make in NY the more you are punished.

The less money you make in NY the more you are punished.

You are going to have problems either way - So I would say just focus on making more money, hire a good accountant and get off with the least amount of taxes you can.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:52 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,005 times
This is yet another example of how this program encourages people to not better themselves in order to stay qualified for this crazy housing lotto which they will very likely never hit anyway. While at the same time hurting themselves and the city by not taking a raise, which lowers taxes taken in by the city. Then on top of all that, the city is giving tax breaks to millionaire property developers.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:04 PM

9 posts, read 5,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Okay, I think there is some confusion here. Or maybe I am misinterpreting the original question.

AMI stands for Area Median Income. It is the median income of the five boroughs, Westchester and Rockland counties, and perhaps some more areas. It usually increases every year.

The AMI is not your income.

I think that the OP is saying is that he or she applied to a particular lottery, fitting into the 20% bracket at the time. (I didn't even know there was a 20% bracket, but whatever.)

I assume the OP put down his income as being within that bracket.

Now, if Sampra gets called to interview, he will bring in all his documents, pay stubs, etc. Assuming he's now in the 60% bracket, he will be processed and offered an apartment in that bracket, assuming that that particular lottery HAS a 60% bracket.

If he is between brackets, however, he will be rejected.
Thank you! This is what i wanted to know!! I guess I'll reword my question

Old 06-14-2018, 03:08 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
You get rejected. They move on to the next number. It's Adios! Arrivederci. Bon voyage! auf Wiedersehen!
And there is no fighting it or returning.
Es ist richtig!!

Old 06-14-2018, 03:39 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,731,547 times
'This is yet another example of how this program encourages people to not better themselves in order to stay qualified for this crazy housing lotto which they will very likely never hit anyway. While at the same time hurting themselves and the city by not taking a raise"

This doesn't make any sense. If apartments are available at the higher salary, the person will be eligible for those.

You might as well say that the units which have only or a majority of units available in the higher bands encourage people who make less to earn more money so they can qualify for them.

The idea that people are commonly running around trying to keep their incomes down on the off-chance they might be chosen in a housing lottery for that income band and no other is just another of your weird conservative fantasies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City