Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 11:01 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I'm not taking about the guy who drinks soda. Really how far did your "girl" stick the stick up your *ss.
You don't know what you're talking about. That's always the problem with you. P.S. pompous.... That's a big word coming from you. Dictionaries work wonders...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 11:07 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Addiction. That's what it boils down to. Sugar releases dopamine in much the same way as cocaine, so the brain forms an addiction. It can be broken, I've done it (7~10 cans a day to none, cold turkey... was a rough couple of weeks but very doable.

I hate it for the kids (SNAP poor foods), I'd be hard-pressed to find one that isn't obese in my area (very poor rural southern town). They are being Taught poor food/eating habits that will cause a lifetime of health issues. Led down a path to failure by the parents who are supposed to be doing everything they can to ensure their kids have more success than they, themselves, have.
When I lived in Philly for a short time, I had never seen so many morbidly obese people in one location in my life. I saw mothers giving their toddlers and even younger children, soda and chips. Never fruit or anything remotely healthy (although I think ice cream is better than soda and chips, right?). I'm sure it was a lifetime of bad habits being passed down; didn't make it any less sad.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:41 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
When I lived in Philly for a short time, I had never seen so many morbidly obese people in one location in my life. I saw mothers giving their toddlers and even younger children, soda and chips. Never fruit or anything remotely healthy (although I think ice cream is better than soda and chips, right?). I'm sure it was a lifetime of bad habits being passed down; didn't make it any less sad.
It seems illogical to those of us on the outside, but I was reading a story of a southern African-American woman who had completely changed her diet because of diabetes. She said that even though all the information is out there, it just doesn't register. In her family, they ate all the high-sugar/high-fat foods that their family had always traditionally eaten, and that getting "the sugar" at some point in life was just taken for granted as inevitable. She had lost weight and lowered her blood sugar and was trying to educate others in her family.

I think some of it is the emotional attachment to food. If we grew up on certain unhealthy-but-tasty dishes and associate them with our childhoods or parents and grandparents, to be told "you shouldn't eat that anymore, here is some unfamiliar thing that's better for you", the emotional impact has an effect.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:49 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It seems illogical to those of us on the outside, but I was reading a story of a southern African-American woman who had completely changed her diet because of diabetes. She said that even though all the information is out there, it just doesn't register. In her family, they ate all the high-sugar/high-fat foods that their family had always traditionally eaten, and that getting "the sugar" at some point in life was just taken for granted as inevitable. She had lost weight and lowered her blood sugar and was trying to educate others in her family.

I think some of it is the emotional attachment to food. If we grew up on certain unhealthy-but-tasty dishes and associate them with our childhoods or parents and grandparents, to be told "you shouldn't eat that anymore, here is some unfamiliar thing that's better for you", the emotional impact has an effect.
There's nothing wrong with eating things from your childhood. I just don't understand how people think that eating this stuff morning, day and night doesn't have consequences. I just had a BLT for lunch and organic polenta with pesto. I limit how much organic bacon I put on my BLT. Two strips prepared in the oven goes a long way. I used fresh organic arugula (packed it on) and fresh GMO free local cherry tomatoes grown here in NY. A smear of Sir Kensington mayo on toasted organic wheat bread and it's very tasty. The bacon can still be tasted and I satisfied my BLT craving. Much healthier than your usual BLT by using more veggies and less meat. That's something I eat maybe once every three or four months. Certainly not every day.

Old 06-16-2018, 05:24 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
There's nothing wrong with eating things from your childhood. I just don't understand how people think that eating this stuff morning, day and night doesn't have consequences. I just had a BLT for lunch and organic polenta with pesto. I limit how much organic bacon I put on my BLT. Two strips prepared in the oven goes a long way. I used fresh organic arugula (packed it on) and fresh GMO free local cherry tomatoes grown here in NY. A smear of Sir Kensington mayo on toasted organic wheat bread and it's very tasty. The bacon can still be tasted and I satisfied my BLT craving. Much healthier than your usual BLT by using more veggies and less meat. That's something I eat maybe once every three or four months. Certainly not every day.

They don't care. My dad has no problem cooking an entire package of bacon in the morning and eating most of it himself. I'm not saying my eating is that healthy but I'm pretty slender so I'm "too thin" to my dad, who's over 300 pounds. He would love to die with a roast beef hero in one hand and a beer in another.

I don't like healthy foods, TBH. The only reason I stay trim is that I walk a lot and I don't usually eat breakfast. Sometimes I keep an eye on calories because for me, it's all about calories in, calories out. I'm going to unload some whipped cream from the canister right now.

Old 06-16-2018, 05:33 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
If we still fat shamed people they'd likely put down the mayo laced hoagie.

Next time you're bagging a womans grocery who is buying garbage and she's on SNAP- be all like, "woah- so you're gonna be poor and fat! What a catch!."

Old 06-16-2018, 07:13 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
If we still fat shamed people they'd likely put down the mayo laced hoagie.

Next time you're bagging a womans grocery who is buying garbage and she's on SNAP- be all like, "woah- so you're gonna be poor and fat! What a catch!."
You’re just asking to get your ass beat

Old 06-17-2018, 07:21 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
So we got posters bytching about people buying lobster with SNAP and posters wasting their SNAP on sodas.
Bit of disconnect there.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:32 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
As long as people are not buying drugs or alcohol with their food stamps idgaf

Old 06-17-2018, 07:34 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
They are allowed to use SNAP for cheap unhealthy food, so they do. Any attempt to force only healthy food would be seen as UnAmerican and dictating food choice.

In some states, non-prepared (ie, fresh) foods are exempt from sales tax.

Make the SNAP card only apply to fresh food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City