Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 07:41 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

I'll start out by setting forth my viewpoint. It is a decided "no."

New York City's mayor styles himself as a "progressive." In times past,that meant that working-class families with bright children could get for those children a private education every bit as good as Fieldston, Horace Mann, Choate, or other prep schools. Working class people could not afford to send their children to the elite academies in Riverdale or New England. So New York City boasts such schools as Stuyvesant High School and the Bronx High School of Science. The existence of the schools kept many middle and upper-middle class students in New York schools and eventually in the city. Students should be able to go to school where excellence and achievement are rewarded.

Remediation assistance for special needs has their place. But not everywhere and at all times. See As Calls for Action Crescendo, de Blasio Takes On Segregated Schools.

Mayor Lindsay succeeded in destroying the City University system in the name of diversity and inclusiveness. Let us not repeat this mistake at high school level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 07:52 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
How did he destroy the city university system? What happened?

Progressive private academies make scholarships available to high-achieving working-class students, because they value diversity. What are the northeastern private schools doing in that regard?

Old 06-16-2018, 08:00 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Isnt this a bit like arguing about who gets on the 8 lifeboats instead of making sure the ship doesn’t sink? Or at least building some more lifeboats?

Old 06-17-2018, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How did he destroy the city university system? What happened?
The City University of New York was, through most of the 1960's close to being on a par with Harvard and Yale. It was where honor roll students from the city's high school often went. Open enrollment, a Mayor Lindsay pet project destroyed all that. At first enrollment was available for free to all high school graduates. Eventually modest tuition was charged, as a result of the fiscal crisis of the mid-1970's. High-achievement learners were basically told to look elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Progressive private academies make scholarships available to high-achieving working-class students, because they value diversity. What are the northeastern private schools doing in that regard?
I don't you. I didn't research. I doubt there are very many of those scholarships. Funny thing about people paying their way. They don't like to pay to remedy past wrongs they didn't commit.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:15 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
Using a single entrance exam, as is currently done, is ludicrous. There are many other factors that come into play when determining who will be successful in school, and the mayor's proposal attempts to at least recognize this.

"The more substantial proposal calls for eliminating the test entirely and instead basing admissions on a combination of a student’s class rank and scores on state standardized tests, taking the top 7 percent of students from each of the city’s middle schools. The Education Department said that about 7 percent of specialized seats would be set aside for students from nonpublic schools, like private schools or Catholic schools. High performers from those schools would be chosen by lottery."

This sounds like a far more comprehensive way to determine admission than a single test. Don't just read headlines and assume a narrative. The current system is antiquated.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:31 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,081,769 times
Not a fan of the "I already got mine so **** off" mentality.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
This sounds like a far more comprehensive way to determine admission than a single test. Don't just read headlines and assume a narrative. The current system is antiquated.
I read the article. The narrative, by the Mayor’s own words is to “make the schools look more like New York.“ The current system works. It creates great schools that ordinary people can afford. Race should not be an element.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:49 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I'll start out by setting forth my viewpoint. It is a decided "no."

New York City's mayor styles himself as a "progressive." In times past,that meant that working-class families with bright children could get for those children a private education every bit as good as Fieldston, Horace Mann, Choate, or other prep schools. Working class people could not afford to send their children to the elite academies in Riverdale or New England. So New York City boasts such schools as Stuyvesant High School and the Bronx High School of Science. The existence of the schools kept many middle and upper-middle class students in New York schools and eventually in the city. Students should be able to go to school where excellence and achievement are rewarded.

Remediation assistance for special needs has their place. But not everywhere and at all times. See As Calls for Action Crescendo, de Blasio Takes On Segregated Schools.

Mayor Lindsay succeeded in destroying the City University system in the name of diversity and inclusiveness. Let us not repeat this mistake at high school level.
You are wrong. Public schools should reflect the demographics of their surroundings.

You are literally saying having people of color at these schools will destroy them. And that diversity destroyed CUNY (a school btw that is still ranked in top 15 of public colleges). Do you really think it is impossible for black and brown students to excel?

Old 06-17-2018, 07:50 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I read the article. The narrative, by the Mayor’s own words is to “make the schools look more like New York.“ The current system works. It creates great schools that ordinary people can afford. Race should not be an element.
These are public schools. Public schools should reflect the PUBLIC. A school that is paid for by taxpayer dollars and doesn't represent the public is not a public school.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:54 AM

1,279 posts, read 851,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You are literally saying having people of color at these schools will destroy them. And that diversity destroyed CUNY (a school btw that is still ranked in top 15 of public colleges). Do you really think it is impossible for black and brown students to excel?

I haven't seen anyone in this thread make those arguments.

First, the schools in question are majority-Asian. Asians are people of color. Many people want students at those schools to be admitted based on their academic achievements (i.e., test scores). That will currently result in those schools being majority Asian--and with an overwhelming majority of people of color. I'm fine with that.

Second, nobody said that diversity destroyed CUNY, unless "diversity" means diversity of intelligence and aptitude. If CUNY admissions were merit-based, they'd also probably have a student body that is majority-people of color.

Third, nobody thinks it's impossible for black and brown students to excel, except maybe Mayor DeBozo and Democratic politicians.

I have volunteered with students who are predominantly Hispanic, and they are wonderful learners and really apply themselves. They of course can excel as much as anyone. They simply need a bit of a helping hand, which I'd love to extend to them, so that they can get prepped for admissions tests and ace them, and get into selective schools on their own achievements. They can definitely do that.

It's actually Mayor DeBozo who is effectively saying that black and brown students cannot excel. He's saying that they can't perform well enough on admissions tests, so the tests should be ditched. That's horribly racist. Black and brown students CAN excel, and will, with a bit of help. We should keep the admissions tests and simply give an equal playing field to black and brown students so that they can be prepared to ace them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City