Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 10:22 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Love the Circle Line. It’s a ferry that goes around the island. There’s always Central Park, too. If you head in at the Plaza end on 59th, you don’t have to walk too far and can sit and people watch there, too. If you get hungry or need a bathroom, you can go to the food court in the basement of the Plaza 😃.
Thank you so much.

I am going to take notes from this thread and put them in a notepad because I doubt I will remember to check this thread next year when I'm getting ready to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 10:23 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am probably the one who said you will be walking all day.

OK, I take it back. You don't have to.

Hang out here one time. It's open 24 hours, and in nice weather the glass front walls are opened and there is outdoor seating, too.

The "Late Breakfast" menu items are very good, as is the lamb burger. Probably everything else, too, but I haven't had it all.

https://www.lexpressnyc.com/

This is on Park Avenue South, a few blocks up from the W Hotel, where the rich and famous often stay. I used to work in the neighborhood, and coworkers out walking at lunchtime saw Elle McPherson, Drew Barrymore, and others, and I saw Anthony Hopkins on a street corner. You never know who might walk past you.

But even if you don't recognize anyone, you can sit and watch New York go by. This is not a tourist trap area, either. People who live and work in the neighborhood go to this place.
I LOVE this idea.

This is great. Thank you.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:26 PM

582 posts, read 763,277 times
Of course you can. Central Park is nice. Hudson river has beautiful views on upper west side. Go to Time Warner Center and sit at one of cafes on the second or third floor and enjoy a beautiful view of the park and columbus circle. If you have time, visit NY botanical garden. Enjoy the met opera and there is a nice Italian ice cream place in the area called Grom. They have tables outside and it is really nice sitting there. If you would like to try the best matcha green tea in Manhattan, visit Ippodo. It is on Lex avenue and 39th street. Lots of cafes, museums, and of course shopping.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:33 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
You mentioned architecture. I think there should be companies that specialize in tours, such as this one. https://www.bigonion.com/tours/

I don't have any personal experience with that company, it's just something I found when I searched.

Greenwich Village and the West Village are fun to wander around, for unique shopping and interesting architecture as well. https://freetoursbyfoot.com/things-t...nwich-village/ A self-paced tour might be a better option so you can just hang out in cafes when you don't feel like walking. Pier 45 on the Hudson River is a nice spot for a break along the water. You can watch the boats go by.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:44 AM

1,063 posts, read 696,545 times
Yes, thank you in advance for patronizing areas outside of Manhattan.

For Queens take the LIRR to quickly get to various neighborhoods further out either at or past Woodside.

For Brooklyn you can also take LIRR to Barclay's center I believe and from there you can take the train to certain neighborhoods as that is a major transportation hub for multiple lines.

The Bronx - If you want some adrenaline and to expedite your ticket to the heavens, take the 456 train a couple of stops above 125th street (or Metro North which is similar to LIRR in speed and efficiency but costs more).

Staten Island - I haven't been there in 15 years so can't give you much advice there.

Use Yelp and visit Queens

Old 06-24-2018, 11:01 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
The Circle Line is a boat is just as it is called. It circles Manhattan island. However, some of the tours/rides are longer/shorter. There is a "guide" or narrator that tells you what you are seeing as you float past.

I've never actually taken it, but it's a been around for many, many years- NY tourist institution.

Old 06-24-2018, 11:07 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
Yes, thank you in advance for patronizing areas outside of Manhattan.

For Queens take the LIRR to quickly get to various neighborhoods further out either at or past Woodside.

For Brooklyn you can also take LIRR to Barclay's center I believe and from there you can take the train to certain neighborhoods as that is a major transportation hub for multiple lines.

The Bronx - If you want some adrenaline and to expedite your ticket to the heavens, take the 456 train a couple of stops above 125th street (or Metro North which is similar to LIRR in speed and efficiency but costs more).

Staten Island - I haven't been there in 15 years so can't give you much advice there.

Use Yelp and visit Queens
These are great ideas for someone younger and more mobile. The OP stated that she doesn't/or can't walk that much and wants a slow-paced visit. All of the above has a lot of stairs and requires walking, even if walking to and from an elevator. Fortunately for the OP, cabs cruise throughout Manhattan.

Old 06-24-2018, 12:47 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
These are great ideas for someone younger and more mobile. The OP stated that she doesn't/or can't walk that much and wants a slow-paced visit. All of the above has a lot of stairs and requires walking, even if walking to and from an elevator. Fortunately for the OP, cabs cruise throughout Manhattan.
OP just said they don't want to "walk all day." I guess this could have different interpretations. I once took a trip to a South American city with some friends who have family there, and I don't know if this is their normal thing or not, but we were busy morning til night, mostly involving walking. I think we were walking 10 to 15 miles a day within the city. I'm in good health and do regular workouts at the gym, but for some reason that pace made me so tired I felt like crying.

So there could be a good bit of middle ground between not wanting to walk all day, and being ok with walking around to one or two places per day with a lot of breaks in between.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:33 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,140,268 times
Absolutely!

You don't have to walk all day, but naturally it makes things quick and easy. But there are buses and subways - and if you're with a group of people, taxis may end up being cheapest.

So, yes! Great restaurants, elegant bars, architecture, museums, shopping (whether nice department stores or designer boutiques, or quirky little shops). Rather than general bus tours, you make poke around and see if you can find something more specific - for instance, maybe there are tours specifically for people interested in architecture.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:36 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,545,186 times
Be sure to get a metro card. Then you can hop on a bus whenever you get tired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City