Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 02:28 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
Aren't 421 apartments typically done through the lottery?
I have seen stabilized units in the $4,000+ range, but I assumed them to be the exception, rather than the norm.

Depends upon if the building is new construction or took advantage of 421 in past for say building upgrades or whatever.

If existing tenants/units are in a building then rents become RS for duration of the tax abatement or whatever other contractual terms.

There is actually a good number of RS apartments (not new lottery/affordable) units with rents north of $2k or even $3k per month thanks to LL taking 421 tax abatement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
A $20 increase in my rent is still better than a $200 increase that my friend saw with market rate. 1.25% vs nearly 10% for last years change. Real hit will be if they actually change the law. Still waiting.
Vote by RGB normally happens late in the day or even early evening. This after last minute dramatics from both sides (it is a public hearing IIRC). Probably won't know the numbers until around or even after 6PM or so.

Old 06-26-2018, 02:36 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Vote by RGB normally happens late in the day or even early evening. This after last minute dramatics from both sides (it is a public hearing IIRC). Probably won't know the numbers until around or even after 6PM or so.
Yup yup. While I can't attend, and really I only go to my CB meetings sparingly, I'll be watching what happens.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:14 PM

766 posts, read 507,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you are talking to a small landlord , who is involved with stabilized apartments .

the last 15 years we owned 9 rent stabilized apartments in the 200 central park south building . rents were break even . we bought them for cents on the dollar but my feeling was we were dealing wth baby boomers who would be looking to retire .we figured when that pay check stopped they would want to relocate to a more affordable area .

so we offered 100k to buy out the leases and so far 7 out of the 9 took it. we sold the apartments for a incredible profit . we had 2 left that were not interested .

so one is at a slight loss and could be positive with the next increase and one is already at a slight profit . so both together are pretty much break even .

we have both up for sale to investor groups for 50 cents on the dollar . we could give them away and the profits on the others would still be insanely high . i think we paid about 15- 20 cents on the dollar , maybe less at the time as it was a package with other interests too . .

so for a group who wants to wait it out they too can see healthy returns even though the rents are break even .
9 rent stabilized buildings is considered a small landlord? You are a financial investor with those assets.

I was talking about a landlord with one property, not an investor. Just bought a property live in as well or just got a good deal on it. Not a savvy investor who is able to offer tenant buyouts. My father was one of those, he just stumbled on buying a property in the early 90s, a Jewish man asked if he wanted to buy the building casually as he lived on the same street. He became a landlord by chance

Old 06-26-2018, 06:16 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Not buildings , I said we owned 9 stabilized co- op apartments by central park

Old 06-26-2018, 07:33 PM

Tons of drama over a whole bunch of nothing. Pretty much same puny increases as last year.

1.5 for one year
2.5 for two year

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/26/n...increases.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: