Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 09:36 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
agreed.

there arent enough liveable wage paying jobs in NYC. even for the people that are educated and have skills, let alone for the lowlives in these videos.

And it will only get worse as automation continues.

I do think we are heading toward an era where UBI will need to be implemented. Too many people that DO do everything right and still can't afford a decent life.
Or the society will ultimately have to confront corporations about hoarding cash to the point of completely destroying people’s lives. That would require people think about things beyond the latest tax cut or hating foreigners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 10:50 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
agreed.

there arent enough liveable wage paying jobs in NYC. even for the people that are educated and have skills, let alone for the lowlives in these videos.

And it will only get worse as automation continues.

I do think we are heading toward an era where UBI will need to be implemented. Too many people that DO do everything right and still can't afford a decent life.
I thought the welfare state was supposed to ameliorate that? If money was the only root cause of crime how come the homeless aren't the most crime prone demographic in the city?

All of the people involved in the horrific crimes being documented these last few weeks (The Knockout, The Bodega Slashing, Castle Hill Shootout) I'm willing to bet have some form of income within their household wither it's welfare benefits, under the table jobs, minimum wage jobs, etc. It's not like these people have no money. Also, with people continuing to clamor for "Affordable Housing" all were doing is ringing the dinner bell for the country and the world to come in for a free ride.

Also, the whole issue of living wage jobs in NYC is a joke. As long the the political establishment is bent on enabling illegal immigration, they could jack up the minimum wage to $25 and it'll make zero difference. The guy who brought your chinese last night isn't even making Federal minimum wage, never mind whatever NYS/NYC cooks up. Keep piling on the taxes which is even making Wall St look for greener pastures and let's see how long the charade lasts.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:09 AM

34,008 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I thought the welfare state was supposed to ameliorate that? If money was the only root cause of crime how come the homeless aren't the most crime prone demographic in the city?
Reding the news I see a lot of arrests of homeless people for doing stuff

Some are mentally not well either

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-29-2018, 03:17 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Reding the news I see a lot of arrests of homeless people for doing stuff

Some are mentally not well either
True, but that's usually either the mentally ill or those on the lam who come here.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:37 PM

179 posts, read 109,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
79 includes Tompkins, Marcy, Sumner, Roosevelt Houses. I'm from Tompkins! I've been in the 79 a few times in my childhood........PS 23 school tour, though! (LOL!)

Hello scatman , I see you are from Tompkins. Have you seen the youtube videos documenting the 1960s on Ellery St?

Some fascinating images of the young people from the neighborhood. They are posted under the title "Ellery Street Bops" Video # 2 is probably best.

NYC forum members should check these out. I'm from Flatbush but these videos have me nostalgic for Ellery St---people had style then.

Ellery st is relevant to the discussion upthread as it is in the shadow of the Pfizer plant that once employed 2500 people - from research scientists to production staff. The space has been subdivided and provides jobs for about 1000 people now.

Old 06-30-2018, 01:36 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
If everybody is eating, their belly is too full to commit crimes
ain't that the truth

Old 06-30-2018, 04:20 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
i'm wondering if this is the start of a larger crime wave throughout the city?

Has chinese money stopped pouring in?

Old 06-30-2018, 04:26 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
i'm wondering if this is the start of a larger crime wave throughout the city?

Has chinese money stopped pouring in?
has it been hotter than usual lately?

Old 06-30-2018, 08:29 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
has it been hotter than usual lately?
Weather and crime wise yes.

Crime usually increases in the summer months. I don't get why. If its hot Id prefer to sit in my cool apt and run the AC as needed versus running around town.
And no matter what your income bracket it you can afford to run an AC. The new models run on next to nothing.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:32 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Weather and crime wise yes.

Crime usually increases in the summer months. I don't get why. If its hot Id prefer to sit in my cool apt and run the AC as needed versus running around town.
And no matter what your income bracket it you can afford to run an AC. The new models run on next to nothing.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, when it gets very hot I'd rather be somewhere indoors. Then again, doesn't most crime happen at night when it tends to cool off a little?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City