U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 06:34 PM

20,218 posts, read 21,814,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I know why the City did what they did, but Mott Haven isn't that out of the way as you're making it sound. It's a 15 - 20 minute subway ride to Midtown, which is right in line with areas like Astoria. There are a host of other neighborhoods that offer quick commutes already from the Bronx. Areas like the Concourse are a 15 minute commute to Grand Central on Metro-North.

For the record, the hipsters all wanted to be in Manhattan, but were pushed out to Brooklyn. I wouldn't say it was the destination spot originally, but they had to make themselves feel worthy so they started hyping up Brooklyn. Nauseating.
I don’t consider Astoria a low-income neighborhood. I think it’s pretty established as middle class. I used to live at the end of the line in Ditmars-Steinway and that always seemed pretty middle class to me and pretty devoid of hipsters. To boot, the southern parts of Astoria are about also 15-20 minutes by subway to Midtown with more options.

Metro-North is a good option. I’m for expanding the use of commuter rail within the city with costs going down and frequencies going up.

In general, the kids just kept getting priced out along the L train from Greenwich Village to East Village to Williamsburg to Bushwick. The vast majority need jobs to survive so they started branching elsewhere as Williamsburg and Bushwick themselves aren’t making enough jobs to sustain that and getting into Manhattan for those jobs just kept taking longer and longer with each stop further away on the L and as housing just got more and more expensive. So they branched elsewhere. I’m not so sure that’s the crowd going into the Bronx though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 06:38 PM

7,594 posts, read 2,718,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I donít consider Astoria a low-income neighborhood. I think itís pretty established as middle class. I used to live at the end of the line in Ditmars-Steinway and that always seemed pretty middle class to me and pretty devoid of hipsters. To boot, the southern parts of Astoria are about also 15-20 minutes by subway to Midtown with more options.

Metro-North is a good option. Iím for expanding the use of commuter rail within the city with costs going down and frequencies going up.

In general, the kids just kept getting priced out along the L train from Greenwich Village to East Village to Williamsburg to Bushwick. The vast majority need jobs to survive so they started branching elsewhere as Williamsburg and Bushwick themselves arenít making enough jobs to sustain that and getting into Manhattan for those jobs just kept taking longer and longer with each stop further away on the L and as housing just got more and more expensive. So they branched elsewhere. Iím not so sure thatís the crowd going into the Bronx though.
It's perfectly fine if they aren't. They don't need to put their stamp of approval on every place for it to be a good and desirable neighborhood.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:40 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,506,936 times
How strange our newspapers keep saying crime is down
Of course if you just keep throwing the police under the bus they stop coming and if there are no arrests then there is no crime right????
In fact if the cops stay away and the crime stats go down that proves the only crime was profiling did I get it????

Old 07-03-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
It's perfectly fine if they aren't. They don't need to put their stamp of approval on every place for it to be a good and desirable neighborhood.
I completely agree with that.

Old 07-04-2018, 08:32 AM

10,367 posts, read 7,273,062 times
Everyone at Rikers want to hurt the group of men who brutal kill the Bronx teen

https://nypost.com/2018/07/03/everyb...ng-bronx-teen/

Old 07-04-2018, 08:32 PM

1,283 posts, read 288,319 times
If you don't want your cops in your neighborhood I'll be more than happy to take them.
You can frisk me all you want. I'll feel safer,crime will decrease, real estate market values
will increase and I'll be more than happy to buy an officer a cup of coffee in the morning
at the deli.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:49 AM

1,144 posts, read 394,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
If you don't want your cops in your neighborhood I'll be more than happy to take them.
You can frisk me all you want. I'll feel safer,crime will decrease, real estate market values
will increase and I'll be more than happy to buy an officer a cup of coffee in the morning
at the deli.

Amen. Yes! A coffee and a doughnut!

Old 07-05-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
How strange our newspapers keep saying crime is down
Of course if you just keep throwing the police under the bus they stop coming and if there are no arrests then there is no crime right????
In fact if the cops stay away and the crime stats go down that proves the only crime was profiling did I get it????
As you probably know, NYC is a big city. Crime rates have been going down overall, but that's for the entire city. Crime rates in the Bronx also had a general trend of going down and what you're seeing is so far a local spike in both time and region. It's a 6% increase in the city from some historic low rates last year, but it's uneven since that's an overall city percentage with many neighborhoods still seeing rates drop while other places spiked. A 6% increase for so far this year can still be brought down to more record lows for the year depending on how the rest of year goes, because with the lower the crime rate, the fewer crimes it takes to register as a spike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
at the deli.
NYPD does a good job overall and I think that gets lost in the national media coverage of police brutality which paints an overall picture for viewers that can be misleading on a local level since police departments can vary a lot from municipality to municipality. NYPD has routinely trialed programs for measures that have had good results elsewhere for, among other things, prevention, accountability and de-escalation, and largely does a better and better job. It's unfortunate that they get painted with the same broad brush as some of the police departments elsewhere.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:30 AM

1,283 posts, read 288,319 times
May I also add that as the crime is being held in check in N.Y. the 2016 population was 8.5 million and 8,622,698 in 2017.
The 2017 population density is 28,491 person per square mile. The rate of officer hires is not in step with the population increase resulting in the
varying 6% fluctuation. The men in blue are doing more than a fine job as they work with what the city politicians give them. There are
40,000 officers and 4500 Auxiliary police officers.Even at 44,500 that is one officer per 194 persons to keep safe. There are also School safety agents,Traffic Enforcement agents and their supervisors that help keep this city running smoothly as possible.God Bless everyone and keep them safe.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:40 AM

10,367 posts, read 7,273,062 times
The murder rate is slowing down in The Bronx now since they flood South Bronx with cops and overall murders is down in NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or