U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 04:34 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,572,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Nah. It won't. The police protect valuable areas. If certain people step outside the areas they are consigned to, the cops will take them down.

This is no threat to gentrification or tourism. However gentrification likely has made places like the Bronx WORSE as poor people pushed out of other parts of the city concentrate there.
The murder rate in the 79th precinct (Bed-Stuy) went up 300% during that time period

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/dow...-us-079pct.pdf

Will that have an impact on gentrification there? Someone should start a thread...

Last edited by yodel; 06-27-2018 at 04:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 04:49 AM

729 posts, read 353,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
Bronx is surpising but Queens up 30%?!?

WTH
I fully believe it. My neighborhood is getting worse for sure.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:10 AM

19 posts, read 8,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
The murder rate in the 79th precinct (Bed-Stuy) went up 300% during that time period

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/dow...-us-079pct.pdf

Will that have an impact on gentrification there? Someone should start a thread...
It won’t have any effect on gentrification in Bed Stuy. It’s very safe here despite those statistics. It’s too beautiful an area to allow the gangs/thugs to have control anymore. They’re killing each other because they get into ‘disputes’. Idiots. You play with fire you will get burned. There was a big gang roundup recently in Crown Heights, I believe, The Bloods and their ‘affiliates’ dressed in their signature red. More to come. Good job NYPD!

Old 06-27-2018, 05:14 AM

303 posts, read 95,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Time to hire some precogs and set up precrime unit.
Time to vote in a Republican mayor again. Crime is up across the board in NYC since Deblasio.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:32 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,572,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Gut Job View Post
It won’t have any effect on gentrification in Bed Stuy. It’s very safe here despite those statistics. It’s too beautiful an area to allow the gangs/thugs to have control anymore. They’re killing each other because they get into ‘disputes’. Idiots. You play with fire you will get burned. There was a big gang roundup recently in Crown Heights, I believe, The Bloods and their ‘affiliates’ dressed in their signature red. More to come. Good job NYPD!
Sometimes safety is just a state of mind .

The vast majority of the Bronx is much safer statistically than Bed Stuy, but maybe the presence of gentrifiers makes people perceive it to be safer?

Old 06-27-2018, 05:33 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,838,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
You base this on what? Your feelings?

Stop and frisk took many weapons off the streets, that's a fact.

If one of these perps who were carrying knives and machetes were randomly stopped by a cop while he was just "chillin ain't doin nuthin", the machete and/or knives would have been found and the kid arrested before they could have killed this poor innocent soul. But everyone cries "racism" so it must be racist to stop and frisk criminals.

Were 100% innocent inner city youths stopped and frisked for no reason? Absolutely. But after a cursory check of their ID and a quick frisk, cops were on their way. Took 5 minutes. Problem is that the whole "racist" narrative took over. I have been stopped by police and thank them for checking on me. I don't live in lala land, I know that many people who look and dress like me commit crimes, so of course I get stopped once in a while, no big deal. Too many people are soft and like having drama whenever police get involved. They are just trying to keep my neighborhood safe dummies.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Sorry, but some of us do care about our constitution.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:42 AM

8,775 posts, read 5,608,950 times
92% sounds like a big scary number.

But how does that break down? Were there 25 more individual murders, or was there one murderer who accidentally killed 25 people - all on a bus?

Old 06-27-2018, 06:30 AM

21,928 posts, read 23,494,618 times
Bronx is up 92%, Queens is up 30%, citywide it’s up 6%

Old 06-27-2018, 06:52 AM

4,563 posts, read 3,988,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
The Bronx is Dying: Murders Are Up By 92% This Year - Welcome2TheBronx

Removing stop and frisk seems to be taking it's toll in the Bronx. Took longer than I thought, but... well here we are.
Yea and this is not surprising. There is a HIGH CONCENTRATION of POVERTY in the BRONX. It’s NYC’s poorest borough. This is why I am staunch AGAINST De Blasio doing away with stop and frisk. It should’ve been reformed

Old 06-27-2018, 06:53 AM

4,563 posts, read 3,988,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry88 View Post
Time to vote in a Republican mayor again. Crime is up across the board in NYC since Deblasio.
Won’t happen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or