U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-30-2018, 10:18 PM
 
9,343 posts, read 13,904,644 times
Reputation: 9407

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
And no matter what your income bracket it you can afford to run an AC. The new models run on next to nothing.
Criminals don't have AC, and they can't put it in because of city regs (even criminals can't mess with the building dept).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-30-2018, 10:38 PM
 
Location: NYC
11,841 posts, read 7,742,973 times
Reputation: 12824
I always wonder why people think NYC is great but there are lots of crime such as muggings and murders. Other big cities around the world have very low crimes. Something like muggings and robberies don't even exist in places like Tokyo and shootings are a rare event in European cities until illegals started showing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2018, 12:19 AM
 
609 posts, read 198,752 times
Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I always wonder why people think NYC is great but there are lots of crime such as muggings and murders. Other big cities around the world have very low crimes. Something like muggings and robberies don't even exist in places like Tokyo and shootings are a rare event in European cities until illegals started showing up.
Well both Tokyo and European cities benefit from not being gun obsessed and laws that limit them. America is obssssed with violence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2018, 12:39 AM
 
Location: In the heights
20,240 posts, read 21,824,877 times
Reputation: 10303
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I always wonder why people think NYC is great but there are lots of crime such as muggings and murders. Other big cities around the world have very low crimes. Something like muggings and robberies don't even exist in places like Tokyo and shootings are a rare event in European cities until illegals started showing up.
Shootings are still a rare event in Europe. A lot of big cities in the developed world exist in countries that have commonalities such as a large social welfare network, pretty stringent gun control and wide access to birth control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2018, 12:49 AM
 
Location: Bronx
14,930 posts, read 17,484,505 times
Reputation: 7550
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Shootings are still a rare event in Europe. A lot of big cities in the developed world exist in countries that have commonalities such as a large social welfare network, pretty stringent gun control and wide access to birth control.
Europe has a long and bloody history of crime and violence. A trip to 16th century room, or 12th century Constantinople will make Brownsville and Morris Heights to seem like paradise.

The biggest problems for Americans is that the American nature is all about being the victim. Once a victim, the victim needs guarantee and assured protection. One for me of protection is self arms. Victim stuff is not new. It's full of such in American history books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2018, 01:17 AM
 
Location: In the heights
20,240 posts, read 21,824,877 times
Reputation: 10303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Europe has a long and bloody history of crime and violence. A trip to 16th century room, or 12th century Constantinople will make Brownsville and Morris Heights to seem like paradise.

The biggest problems for Americans is that the American nature is all about being the victim. Once a victim, the victim needs guarantee and assured protection. One for me of protection is self arms. Victim stuff is not new. It's full of such in American history books.
Neither crime nor victimhood are that novel a concept in much of the rest of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2018, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Bronx
14,930 posts, read 17,484,505 times
Reputation: 7550
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Neither crime nor victimhood are that novel a concept in much of the rest of the world.
Correct. I wish can rep you, but system wont let me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2018, 09:11 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,594 posts, read 2,724,933 times
Reputation: 2825
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I always wonder why people think NYC is great but there are lots of crime such as muggings and murders. Other big cities around the world have very low crimes. Something like muggings and robberies don't even exist in places like Tokyo and shootings are a rare event in European cities until illegals started showing up.
Europe is finally getting smart and moving to deport the illegals. Salvini in Italy is the equivalent of Trump here. Anti illegal immigration, protectionist, etc. My kind of guy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2018, 11:06 AM
 
1,063 posts, read 326,504 times
Reputation: 1423
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Shootings are still a rare event in Europe. A lot of big cities in the developed world exist in countries that have commonalities such as a large social welfare network, pretty stringent gun control and wide access to birth control.
Too many kids + Not enough money or opportunity = Crime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2018, 11:45 AM
 
16,413 posts, read 6,139,165 times
Reputation: 6933
https://nypost.com/2018/07/01/allege...to-evade-cops/

perhaps a few less robberies in the future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top