Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 08:17 AM

766 posts, read 504,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
As of May YTD, only one murder in Bushwick this year, and only one murder in ENY. Gentrification success stories.

Not so much the case for Central Brookyn. Bed-Stuy had 9, Brownsville had 8, and Crown Heights had 6.
That’s very good for Brooklyn. Shocked by ENY, it can really turn into an affordable working class neighborhood.

The Bronx is just out of control for some reason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 08:18 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,873,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Years ago a lion jumped out of its enclosure in California, and ever since, I'm scared when I pass the lions in the Bronx zoo. I know it's highly unlikely I'll be eaten by one there, but I still walk by really fast.
Do you drive across the bronx like an african lion safari? Windows up, doors locked, ready to step on the gas if any of the inhabitants in the bronx makes an approach at the door.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:22 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,616,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Do you drive across the bronx like an african lion safari? Windows up, doors locked, ready to step on the gas if any of the inhabitants in the bronx makes an approach at the door.
I'm one of the Bronx inhabitants!! Be very afraid...

Old 06-27-2018, 08:41 AM

12,746 posts, read 8,206,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Years ago a lion jumped out of its enclosure in California, and ever since, I'm scared when I pass the lions in the Bronx zoo. I know it's highly unlikely I'll be eaten by one there, but I still walk by really fast.

Because people will be scared of things they find scary, a rise in crime will be perceived as a bigger problem in Hunts Point for instance than Riverdale. If you look at the crime map of murders for the past available year (May 2017 - May 2018), you'll find Riverdale's precinct is pretty on par with Hunts Point for instance. The murder rate was twice as high in the 50th (Riverdale and Kingsbridge) than in the 52nd (North Fordham and Bedford Park). Really they're all very safe. (I'm pretty sure your chance of getting killed driving in Nebraska is greater than walking around in the South Bronx). But the statistics don't matter to people really because their perceptions are so important.
Riverdale doesn't have any problems with murders. The 50th precinct covers Riverdale and Kingsbridge as you noted, but I'd be willing to put money on it that all of the murders were in Kingsbridge. Riverdale has a problem with car jackings, but nothing more. The car jackings are due to the neighborhood being upper middle to upper class and having the Henry Hudson Parkway and Henry Hudson Bridge. People from as far as Washington Heights go up there steal cars and then run back to Manhattan. It's known as an expensive area that is quiet, and thus that will attract thieves, which is why many park their cars in garages.

The biggest problem with the Bronx is most of the good neighborhoods are out of the way and not near subways, so when you enter the Bronx, you're usually seeing the worst of it via the South Bronx, be it by car or by subway. I think that's why the borough president has invested so much money into trying to revitalize areas like the Grand Concourse. The problem is you can throw all of the money you want into trying to spiffy things up. People that live like animals don't care. Their main purpose is to destroy everything and keep things as ghetto and filthy as possible.

No matter how the Bronx tries to improve, people still view it as the Boogie Down, and even the good neighborhoods are treated as, well but it's still the Bronx. You really can't fault people in Riverdale from distancing themselves from the borough. If you're living in Fieldston (Riverdale) in a multi-million dollar mansion, you simply don't want to be associated with a borough that's seen as nothing but a cesspool of poverty and crime. It's like the people that live up in the Hollywood Hills away from all of the crime and poverty. That's how I look at Riverdale when compared to most of the Bronx.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:56 AM

7,895 posts, read 7,804,562 times
The Bronx needs to be completely rebranded and revitalized for it to come back. But in order for that to happen, certain people gotta go

Old 06-28-2018, 10:00 AM

36,993 posts, read 39,026,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
The Bronx needs to be completely rebranded and revitalized for it to come back. But in order for that to happen, certain people gotta go
Expand that pilot for longer public school hours and school years. If the kids aren't getting the example set for them at home and that just keeps happening, then it's probably time to decide that something else has to come in and set that example.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:13 AM

33,784 posts, read 46,999,857 times
Bronx been like this for 50 years

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-28-2018, 12:11 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,649,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
The Bronx is Dying: Murders Are Up By 92% This Year - Welcome2TheBronx

Removing stop and frisk seems to be taking it's toll in the Bronx. Took longer than I thought, but... well here we are.
Here we are indeed. And even downtown I am seeing more and more total whack jobs in broad daylight screaming or limping around like zombies. It's just a matter of time before the crime rate really starts to take off in all 5 boroughs

Old 06-28-2018, 12:13 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,649,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
This has nothing to do with Stop and Frisk. That was just a means of harassing young Black and Latino men for being such.
You can claim that harassment was a result, but the whole purpose of S&F was to (a) get the guns off the homies and (b) make them think twice about carrying in public

Old 06-28-2018, 05:17 PM

588 posts, read 945,186 times
Thugs are getting more brazen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City