Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 12:19 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
This happened a few days ago, but I don't think anybody has posted about it yet.

This is so heartbreaking, it ruined my day when I found out.

https://bklyner.com/bushwick-hit-and...njures-mother/
I saw it on the news earlier in the week, pretty sad. Driver didn't even bother looking much less stop and help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 12:20 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I just saw the lot on Street view and I can only imagine how this got approved. You literally have to drive on the sidewalk to get in and out. Someone needs to pay for this.
I bet it's an illegal curb cut. If so then the family is about to own a free laundromat

Old 06-28-2018, 12:39 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I saw it on the news earlier in the week, pretty sad. Driver didn't even bother looking much less stop and help
Yeah it may be mostly the laundromat's fault, but I don't completely take blame off the driver either. She must have known she would have to drive over the sidewalk.

Old 06-28-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I agree, it's a dangerous set up, however, if you look around, you will see the same kind of thing in a lot of locations. Here's the same thing a few blocks away https://www.google.com/maps/place/26...!4d-73.9036946

And I can also think of businesses like car washes that have huge curb cuts where multiple cars are going in and out across the sidewalk.

I think the biggest issue with the way the laundromats (and other strip malls) are set up is that you pull your car in straight and then have to back up across the sidewalk. At least the car washes mostly seem to be set up so that when you exit you are facing forward across the sidewalk, so you can see what's in front of you.
Yeah at least carwashes have mostly forward facing cars coming in and out, plus people are less likely to congregate in front of them.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:32 PM

96 posts, read 91,933 times
Many drivers do not look behind them before pulling out or are aware. You are supposed to scan left and right and back up slowly while looking at the side mirrors and back to the rearview windshield. Many times when I'm walking passed a car backing up and they don't stop when I walking through. Also, back up cameras should be a standard feature on all cars. I have one and it makes a huge difference.

Old 06-30-2018, 01:28 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times
the people are saying the driver was a sister of an NYPD captain. They say the lady was threatened with ICE by the Cop! If this is so, there is alot of explaining to do. The driver drove on the damn sidewalk for 4 car lengths. Kidding me! Just because mom is alleged to be illegal, does not mean the driver does not have to pay a price. Bless the innocent angel.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
the people are saying the driver was a sister of an NYPD captain. They say the lady was threatened with ICE by the Cop! If this is so, there is alot of explaining to do. The driver drove on the damn sidewalk for 4 car lengths. Kidding me! Just because mom is alleged to be illegal, does not mean the driver does not have to pay a price. Bless the innocent angel.
This story is starting to go viral and I saw posts too claiming that, however the only claim of that I saw was from random people on facebook. Has the mother or any news sources confirmed she waa threatened with ICE?

Old 06-30-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETeacher83 View Post
Many drivers do not look behind them before pulling out or are aware. You are supposed to scan left and right and back up slowly while looking at the side mirrors and back to the rearview windshield. Many times when I'm walking passed a car backing up and they don't stop when I walking through. Also, back up cameras should be a standard feature on all cars. I have one and it makes a huge difference.
That is true. I wouldn't mind living in a neighborhood with no driveways.

Old 06-30-2018, 01:08 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times
In this incident, the driver could not see over the ride fender. There are laundrymat/dry cleaners all over . There should be a fence at the property line. No drive way.

So people get onto that parking lot off of the corner, and get off on the other side? This is horrible, and the business should get sued in addition to the driver. The laundry mat created a condition where one has no choice but drive on the sidewalk. Liability!

A 4 year old baby, damn....

Old 06-30-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
In this incident, the driver could not see over the ride fender. There are laundrymat/dry cleaners all over . There should be a fence at the property line. No drive way.

So people get onto that parking lot off of the corner, and get off on the other side? This is horrible, and the business should get sued in addition to the driver. The laundry mat created a condition where one has no choice but drive on the sidewalk. Liability!

A 4 year old baby, damn....
I agree, I think all parking lots should be shut down.

I know a lot of people in Bushwick drive, but still
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: